Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > LPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/13/2019, 10:34 AM   #1
keith10
Registered Member

Cleaner shrimp issue

I just went through a ick disaster. My corals were at a lfs. I just brought them home and brought a cleaner shrimp as well. Now the shrimp won’t stay off the leather and it will not open. Will the leather get used to it and open or do I need to take the shrimp back?

Unread 07/13/2019, 07:17 AM   #2
lionfish300
Registered Member

If I remember correctly from many years ago my leather does that closed and open whenever. Your shrimp is probably eating the dead skin.

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/24/2019, 07:37 PM   #3
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Cleaner shrimp and any corals go well together
Mine hangs out on leather regardless of open/closed

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/30/2019, 08:55 PM   #4
roblack
Registered Member

shrimp are evil, opportunistic feeders. always a chance they will start eating coral. lps and softies are probably preferred menu items, but think they will munch on sps too. one of the ways they learn is when corals are being fed. they start by stealing food from polyps. eventually, they tear a little coral flesh and get a bite. easy pickins after that.

roblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/31/2019, 02:17 PM   #5
Antics
Registered Member

I've never had issue with cleaner shrimp picking at corals but I think being opportunistic feeders makes is possible. I've seen corals adapt to their presence though. From full panic closing when they're walked on to eventually a hesitant withdrawal and then back open.

Antics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/18/2019, 11:20 AM   #6
slgcmg
Registered Member

Never had issues with cleaner shrimp on my side as well. Have kept them for many years...

Unread 08/19/2019, 03:07 PM   #7
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Never an issue with either the skunk or the red in a quarter century with the exception to snails.

Now, not sure how to classify the peps, these will certainly take out an Acan, (that I have witnessed) and some have said they can take out a BTA or LTA, (that I think but can not prove)

Also the camel shrimp (looks a bit like a pep), yup, those are troublesome.

That being said, many inhabitants can display unusual behaviour in the confines of a glass box.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote