Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/09/2005, 07:33 PM   #176
moonpod
Premium Member

depends. Sometimes the tangs are really aggressive, sometimes they ignore 'em. Kinda individual. The acanthurus are worse than say nasos or the bristle tooths. But that's a generality.

Current Tank Info: 32" Leemar starfire cube now empty and not quite so stinky
moonpod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2005, 07:41 PM   #177
Scuba Dog
Registered Member

Can anyone recomend an online sorce for ordering a regal..one thats already in good health and eating? PM me the response would hate for this thread to be moved to the vender forum....

Current Tank Info: Twin 180's 150 gallon common sump. 6 250 DE Phoenix, HQI ballasts. MRC4 Recirc skimmer. Pacific coast 1/2 horse chiller. Custom calcium reactor. sps reef in tank a mixed reef in tank b in the making.
Scuba Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/09/2005, 07:49 PM   #178
moonpod
Premium Member

I am NOT a vendor/retailer/middleman etc....so this is an independent opinion. The fish at PacAquaFarms are generally in pretty good shape. I ASSUME that this is where reefermadness gets their fish from. so I might give them a call. Otherwise TheMarineCenter has a reasonable reputation. I have no experience with justrarefish, but I've heard good things.

Unread 01/09/2005, 07:52 PM   #179
moonpod
Premium Member

Additionally, this thread sort of makes me vaguely uncomfortable. There are a lot of success stories here, but the generality is still that the vast majority of Regals that are collected are probably doomed...there is still no "magic equation" for success. I know it sounds vaguely hippocritical from someone who has one, but it's just food for thought.

Unread 01/09/2005, 08:42 PM   #180
malegolf
Registered Member

I got mine from PA, since I only live 55 miles from them. Jeremy kept if for me a couple weeks after he got it and got it to eat, I feel that's the difference between the 1st one I got and this one. The 1st one I picked up the next day after PA got it and I think that was to much stress for it, this one will now come to the top when I feed him. He will also come to the front of the tank when I walk up to the tank, I just wish he would eat something other than Mysis. I guess that's what he's going eat, I sure would like to feed some seaweed or flake that he would eat......

Current Tank Info: 150G Acrylic, 3 DE 250W Reef Optix Pendandts HQI 10K Aqualine Bulbs, Hammerhead on 4Way Oceansmotion Closed Loop, Dart on Two 3/4" Sea Swirls on Sump, GEO Skimmer, Aqua Medic Titan 1500 Chiller, Rubbermade Fuge, 180LBS LR, Jetstream 1 CA reacto
malegolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2005, 05:20 AM   #181
orangereefer
Registered Member

Thought, I'd share. I just purchased a Red Sea Regal from my local fish store. It's about 3-4 inches and is very healthy. To me, this has been a prize fish I had sought for quite some time. It's already acclimated in my 120 reef tank and so far has not picked on any of the corals which may change once he truly get acclimated.

Both my purp and powder blue tang bullied him for the first 6 hours but now have accepted him as part of the family. The regal is totally swimming in the open, in and out of the rock cave formation.

Funny thing since this was one of the sought fish I was looking for, the local fish store actually had 3 regals and the one I purchased was the perfect size. The owner told me he got them at Walt Smiths so I assume he has very good repuation of acquring his fish hand caught which made me happier in my purchase decision. I did try to feed him that day but I assume he's still acclimating to my tank.

Again, just thought I'd share my new purchase since this is a regal thread and all and I'll post Pics soon...Mel

orangereefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2005, 10:59 AM   #182
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by moonpod
Additionally, this thread sort of makes me vaguely uncomfortable. There are a lot of success stories here, but the generality is still that the vast majority of Regals that are collected are probably doomed...there is still no "magic equation" for success. I know it sounds vaguely hippocritical from someone who has one, but it's just food for thought.

Yes I understand what you mean, however mine is not a success story yet, I feel the next month is still going to be critical. I have been reading about this fish for a good 4 months before I took mine home...

I'm also wondering what everyone thinks a good fishload would be in a heavy skimmed 65G sps tank...I think my Regal would be alot more comfortable if I added one more fish. This is what I currently have.
(1) Yellow tang 2in
(1) Regal 4.5in
(2) Neon Gobys

Planning on upgrading to a 120 in about two years....what do you guys think? I do water changes of 15gallons RO/DI every week. I would like to get a very small Copperband

Last edited by MrMongoose; 01/10/2005 at 11:13 AM.
MrMongoose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2005, 12:30 PM   #183
szwab
RC Mod

How many have had regals for extended periods of time? My understatnding is that getting them to eat is step one. After that there is a nutrition factor and keeping them healthy long term.

I have also heard that long acclimation +4 hours is also very helpful for initial success.

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/10/2005, 12:51 PM   #184
moonpod
Premium Member

Well my regal seems happy and healthy and is now been in captivity since Aug, 2003.

Unread 01/10/2005, 07:08 PM   #185
malegolf
Registered Member

I've had mine a month, he's eating all the Mysis I feed him soaked in garlic. I've been told that is one of the best diets you can feed them. I'm thinking about a Powder Blue Tang now, how long should I wait before adding another big fish?????? I have a Neon Dotty Back, Flame Hawk, and a Gold Stripe Maroon clown now, the Regal is the king of the tank right now.

Current Tank Info: 150G Acrylic, 3 DE 250W Reef Optix Pendandts HQI 10K Aqualine Bulbs, Hammerhead on 4Way Oceansmotion Closed Loop, Dart on Two 3/4" Sea Swirls on Sump, GEO Skimmer, Aqua Medic Titan 1500 Chiller, Rubbermade Fuge, 180LBS LR, Jetstream 1 CA reacto
Unread 01/11/2005, 09:04 PM   #186
maxrep12
Registered Member

My Regal Angel does NOT eat zoo's. I guess this is definately the exception to the rule. I am thinking of adding clams as many regal owners seem to be successful with this combo. The only coral my angel has nibbled is "stool of toad".

I was able to watch my regal eat pellet food at the lfs before the purchase.

Unread 01/11/2005, 09:11 PM   #187
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Just thought I would give everyone an update on mine.

I have had him for exactly 1 week today. He is still pretty shy, although is less shy around me We be buddies! He is ok if I'm sitting on the couch watching him or even up at the front of the tank as long as I'm sitting down. He does not like it when I walk accross the room or if I make any sudden movements.

I had sucess with the following feeding methed.

Steps
1) Offering both clam and oyster on the 1/2 shell laying on liverock.
2) Offering both clam and oyster on the 1/2 shell attached to alge clip.
3) Offering both clam and oyster (meat only) attached to alge clip
4) Todays break through was that he ate squid attached to the alge clip.

The rest of this week I plan to try and get him eating alge and other foods off of the alge clip, and then with alittle luck hopefully he will start eating foods out in open water.
-Nathan

Unread 01/12/2005, 09:22 AM   #188
DJPB
Premium Member

I've had my regal since June 2004. Seems healthy, reigning king of the tank.

DJPB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2005, 10:29 AM   #189
szwab
RC Mod

good to see there are some long term successes! Has anyone had experience with both the red sea and others? is there a difference in quality or just color?

thanks

Current Tank Info: AGE 240 Flatback Hex
szwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2005, 05:34 PM   #190
malegolf
Registered Member

I sat an oyster on the half shell on the rocks, kind of chopped a little, he wouldn't eat it, just picked at it once. I then put a squid tentacle on a clip he would touch it, both for about 15 minutes. I guess mine only eats Mysis?????????

Unread 01/12/2005, 06:08 PM   #191
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Mine just started eating alge off the clip!!! woohoo balanced diet.

Malegolf thats weird because mine will not eat misis yet. Differant strokes for differant folks

Unread 01/14/2005, 12:04 AM   #192
Outerbank
Registered Member

Malegolf, PBTs get aggressive and can get to a pretty good size. 150, although a very nice tank, may be too small for the PBT unless there is a lot of swimming room.

Current Tank Info: 240 gallon. 26 yr old tank raised ocellaris pair, 24 yr old yellow tang, flame hawk, 9yr old regal angel, 12yr old H. Magnifica, RIP moorish idol (one died at 4 yrs, the second at 5 yrs).
Outerbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/18/2005, 05:57 PM   #193
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Finally a couple pictures....hope you enjoy. He now is eating anything I put in the tank and swims around freely at all times.

Unread 01/18/2005, 06:03 PM   #194
malegolf
Registered Member

Nice, real nice, I wish mine would eat something else......... Just Mysis.

Unread 01/19/2005, 12:14 AM   #195
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Thats odd....Try putting in other meaty foods and even seaweed for a couple days w/o feeding Mysis. Maybe if he starts to get a little hungry he will change his mind about what is good.

Unread 01/19/2005, 11:14 AM   #196
Universal
Registered Member

MrMongoose that is a lovely looking fish, cant wait until i see one in my tank.

Current Tank Info: Starting new reef this year cant wait!
Universal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/19/2005, 11:47 AM   #197
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Thanks! Yes the feeding in the tank is centered around him and my other fish just get what is left over.

Unread 01/20/2005, 09:17 AM   #198
unicornis
Registered Member

Woah dinno there was a thread ddicated to regal angel.. ok heres my RS regal

unicornis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2005, 09:39 AM   #199
MrMongoose
Registered Member

Awesome! How big is yours? Mine has a 'Y' on its side and your has an 'X'

Unread 01/20/2005, 10:21 PM   #200
unicornis
Registered Member