Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Neptune Systems
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/22/2018, 04:39 AM   #1
speedstar
Registered Member

Apex Jr and PM1 ATO?

Can you tell me if the apex JR could be programmed if connected to a PM1 to read a digital input from a optical level sensor to turn on and off a dosing pump for top off? Also expand the function to read a second backup float switch in case of failure as well as programming a timeout and lockout if it ran for more than a specified time>? Pretty much a backup to the backup.

thanks

speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 07:45 AM   #2
kurt_n
Registered Member

Assuming the signal from the optical sensor is either 'on' or 'off', like the float switch, I'm pretty sure that will work. You'll also need a Breakout Box to plug into the i/o port of the PM1, but I believe that will work.

kurt_n is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 10:22 AM   #3
radiata
Registered Member

No. The Apex OS-1 Optical Level Sensor only plugs into the Apex FMM unit. The PM1 unit has an I/O Switch Input for their Break-Out Box, but the Apex BOB can not be used with the OS-1.

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/22/2018, 10:53 AM   #4
speedstar
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiata View Post
No. The Apex OS-1 Optical Level Sensor only plugs into the Apex FMM unit. The PM1 unit has an I/O Switch Input for their Break-Out Box, but the Apex BOB can not be used with the OS-1.
I am not using an APEX OS-1, I have built my own optical Sensor and board that provides a contact closure.

speedstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/23/2018, 12:00 PM   #5
radiata
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedstar View Post
I am not using an APEX OS-1, I have built my own optical Sensor and board that provides a contact closure.
OK. Yes, that can be done. I have such a board that was custom built for me by a reefer on R-2-R. It works with cheap eBay optical sensors. You can search the Neptune forum there.

I'm finding that optical sensors work well with clean water, like RO/DI, but perhaps not so well if they get coated with slime/algae. I have one that seems to fail more in culture water than the two float valves I have in other culture water applications.

Current Tank Info: Multiple - 600+ Net Gallons
radiata is offline   Reply With Quote