Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/05/2015, 03:42 PM   #1
hoangtin18
Registered Member

Booster pump for water pump?

Hi, I have a pump mag 18 that pump from basement to ground floor around 14' head. The water seem to flow very little. I am wonder is there a booster pump for water pump that can gave you more pressure for the water. I am trying to stay with my existing pipe 3/4". My second option is to go with another pump but don't know which pump are good for that high. Please help.

hoangtin18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 04:11 PM   #2
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoangtin18 View Post
Hi, I have a pump mag 18 that pump from basement to ground floor around 14' head. The water seem to flow very little. I am wonder is there a booster pump for water pump that can gave you more pressure for the water. I am trying to stay with my existing pipe 3/4". My second option is to go with another pump but don't know which pump are good for that high. Please help.
Booster pumps don't put out nearly enough flow. The are designed for high pressure low flow applications such as RODI filters which is where they are typically used. For a basement sump application, my first choice would be an Iwaki pressure rated pump. They are bullet proof and would provide plenty of flow at a 14' head. Without knowing your display size, it would be impossible to make any further recommendations beyond that.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 04:35 PM   #3
hoangtin18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Booster pumps don't put out nearly enough flow. The are designed for high pressure low flow applications such as RODI filters which is where they are typically used. For a basement sump application, my first choice would be an Iwaki pressure rated pump. They are bullet proof and would provide plenty of flow at a 14' head. Without knowing your display size, it would be impossible to make any further recommendations beyond that.
Thank, do you have specific Iwaki type of pump that you can recommend?

Unread 07/05/2015, 05:31 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

The 3/4 " pipe is restricting the flow of that mag pump.
They are designed for larger piping according to their flow charts.
I would think even with an Iwaki 1" is as small as you should go.

Unread 07/05/2015, 06:55 PM   #5
hoangtin18
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
The 3/4 " pipe is restricting the flow of that mag pump.
They are designed for larger piping according to their flow charts.
I would think even with an Iwaki 1" is as small as you should go.
The mag 18 I have are for 3/4" pipe, they have 3/4" inlet and outlet. I don't think you can install 1" pipe

Unread 07/05/2015, 08:19 PM   #6
Hitch08
Registered Member

If you call Danner, they'll tell you to use a larger pipe on that Mag 18. I called them about a slightly smaller Mag and they recommended a larger pipe than 3/4. I don't remember their recommendation, my apologies.

Unread 07/05/2015, 08:28 PM   #7
Chuckd76
Registered Member

Quote:
The mag 18 I have are for 3/4" pipe, they have 3/4" inlet and outlet. I don't think you can install 1" pipe
I have the 9.5 and the minimum folks recommended was 1.5 inch inside diameter pvc (I ended up using 1").
You'll need a 3/4" threaded x slip adapter to increase the diameter.

Unread 07/05/2015, 10:31 PM   #8
Icefire
Seasoned reefer

you should get 600gph at that height, the pipe size might be restricting a bit but not much.

how much flow do you need?

Current Tank Info: 60g Cube, 120lbs live rocks, Hydra52 2x120W, 2 MP40+ 1 MP10 @ 70%, Phosban 550 GFO+Carbon, 200W Heater, SWC Skimmer, Kalk ATO, 150 gpd RODI
Icefire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/06/2015, 05:01 AM   #9
hoangtin18
Registered Member

I don't know how much flow I have but the flow came out at the end very little. The filter at the pump, if I replace with entrainer is that going to help the flow. I am afraid filter get cloth up. Also if I change pipe size to 1" that going to help.

Unread 07/06/2015, 10:57 AM   #10
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Thank, do you have specific Iwaki type of pump that you can recommend?
As I said in my previous post, without knowing your display size, it would be impossible to make any further recommendations beyond that. If you have a target flow rate, that will also help narrow down a pump.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote