Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 07/01/2015, 12:41 PM   #1
CoralNerd
Registered Member

SPS died over night :(

My strawberry shortcake skin is coming off. I woke up to find it's mostly white with it's skin just barely hanging on, but most of the skin gone. 1 inch frag that had encrusted on rock.

There isn't any corals next to it. Water parameters are dialed in
Salinity 1.025
Mag 1455 slightly high
ALK 9.45
CA 425
Temp 79.4
No Phosphate issues or Nitrate
I did a water change two days ago and matched the temp and salinity.
I did add some KZ products last night which I have been dosing. All other corals look fine.

CoralNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 12:46 PM   #2
DivingTheWorld
Registered Member

When you say "no Phosphate or Nitrate issues", do you mean no Phosphate or Nitrate readings? IMO super low Phosphate/Nitrate should be coupled with low Alk 7-8. Assuming you have super low nutrients, you might want to drop your Alk. I'll let the experts weigh in though.

One other thing to consider doing when making up your water change water is to match Alk. Many salt mixes have super high Alk and depending on how much you change, could potentially cause Alk swings. You can use Muriatic acid to lower Alk or 2-Part to raise Alk.

Last edited by DivingTheWorld; 07/01/2015 at 12:53 PM.
DivingTheWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 01:46 PM   #3
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Great input @DivingTheWorld BUMP---does anyone else have a take on this---I'm wondering if I should work on lowering the ALK based on your comments as I have no Phosphates or Nitrate readings...I have been trying to feed more but it has not brought it up.

Unread 07/01/2015, 02:10 PM   #4
rt67ghy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivingTheWorld View Post
When you say "no Phosphate or Nitrate issues", do you mean no Phosphate or Nitrate readings? IMO super low Phosphate/Nitrate should be coupled with low Alk 7-8. Assuming you have super low nutrients, you might want to drop your Alk. I'll let the experts weigh in though.

One other thing to consider doing when making up your water change water is to match Alk. Many salt mixes have super high Alk and depending on how much you change, could potentially cause Alk swings. You can use Muriatic acid to lower Alk or 2-Part to raise Alk.
+1
I'd like to add that if your PO4 and NO3 are actually 0 you should try to raise them with more feeding because rapidly growing SPS corals, especially a tank full of them need a lot of these to fuel growth. A lack of these but having high alk and strong lighting causes stress in SPS's leading to STN/RTN. It's like the corals are torn between wanting to grow but not getting the nutrients they need (actually needed by the zooaxanthellae for rapid growth to keep up with the demands of a rapidly growing coral). I hope this makes sense.

rt67ghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/01/2015, 09:57 PM   #5
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Should I turn my phosphate reactor off for now and turn the skimmer off at night to try and bring up the PO4 P03?
Also should I do more of a dry skim?

Last edited by CoralNerd; 07/01/2015 at 10:08 PM.
Unread 07/02/2015, 02:25 AM   #6
rt67ghy
Registered Member

I think you can go ahead and turn both off for the time being. Then after that dry skimming may be a good option. You can even add more fish if you have the space.

rt67ghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 02:21 PM   #7
j.a.c.wester
Registered Member

was the coral high up in the tank? maybe it was a light shock

j.a.c.wester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 02:51 PM   #8
plyle02
Registered Member

which zeovit products are you using? Just curious, the coral is a goner, monitor all remaining acros, something is off, RTN can impact other corals, I have seen a chain reaction event like this take many corals from me, I am of the thought that the water is stripped, and if alk is fluctuating this too could be the cause.

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 03:41 PM   #9
lunar
Registered Member

I'm looking at your rocks and they seem to be very, very fresh. How old is your tank? Isn't it too young for such delicate corals?

Krzysztof

lunar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 05:30 PM   #10
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt67ghy View Post
I think you can go ahead and turn both off for the time being. Then after that dry skimming may be a good option. You can even add more fish if you have the space.
I turned the skimmer of at night, switch to a more dry skim also as the way I had the skimmer set before it was pulling waste like crazy. The reactor is off now also so I can bring the phosphates up. Adding a Flasher Wrasse this week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by j.a.c.wester View Post
was the coral high up in the tank? maybe it was a light shock
The coral was mid level. I have been bringing the lighter brighter each week.
Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
which zeovit products are you using? Just curious, the coral is a goner, monitor all remaining acros, something is off, RTN can impact other corals, I have seen a chain reaction event like this take many corals from me, I am of the thought that the water is stripped, and if alk is fluctuating this too could be the cause.
I'm using, Flatworm Stop, Pohl's Extra, Coral Booster, Coral Vitalizer, Eisenhower Concentrate. I have not been using ZEO start 3 for 3 weeks. I did put in Zeobak and Zeo food the night before I lost the coral, and I think I put in one drop too much. I stopped these two for now. All the other corals look fine, red dragon, hawkins, green slimer, red planet, monti's, stylo's. The garth bonsai is a little pale but has some purple with good polyps...it's Steve Garrett's and think his is more purple on tips anyways. No RTN on any corals, their the opposite their incrusting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lunar View Post
I'm looking at your rocks and they seem to be very, very fresh. How old is your tank? Isn't it too young for such delicate corals?

Krzysztof
Tanks up since November 2014. It's Pukani rock. It has some coraline but it has not taken off.

Unread 07/05/2015, 05:34 PM   #11
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Quick Shot
Torch corals look bad as I bumped them which caused an infection. Plus clean water does not help them.

Unread 07/05/2015, 06:03 PM   #12
Pife
Registered Member

How big is your tank? How big was your water change? What salt mix do you use?

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 06:10 PM   #13
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
How big is your tank? How big was your water change? What salt mix do you use?
It's hard to say exact size of tank around 85g, it's 46x24x21, with a nice size sump below. I changed 12g and I used Instant Ocean.
For the first 6 months, I changed 10g every week. On this last change I waited 2 weeks, and I plan to scale down to every two weeks here out.

Unread 07/05/2015, 07:57 PM   #14
Pife
Registered Member

Do you dose alkalinity between water changes?

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/05/2015, 08:07 PM   #15
CoralNerd
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Do you dose alkalinity between water changes?
Yes, ESV B-Ionic 2 part and mag via bubble magus.