Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Only & Aggressive Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/17/2011, 12:23 PM   #1
ramblin-man
Registered Member

Fish combo question

What would anyone think about a combination of a humu humu trigger, a lionfish, a yellow tang, a dog faced puffer and like a panther grouper or something in a 150 tall?

ramblin-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2011, 12:39 PM   #2
olemiss reb
Molon Labe

grouper needs a much bigger tank and will eat the fish you have listed, trigger and puffer will kill the lion.

Unread 01/17/2011, 01:29 PM   #3
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

that set up will NOT work.

trigger will torture the lion as will the puffer.

IMO the tang would be fine.

you have 2 different lists their

list one
lionfish
tang
gouper

or
trigger
puffer
grouper tang

thats my thinking to this.

matt

Lions, Groupers and Eels o my!

Current Tank Info: Marineland 60Gal ReefReady cube, DIY led, Euroreef Skimmer Ins-80, Mag 9.5 return
DoubleM 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2011, 05:19 PM   #4
ramblin-man
Registered Member

Thanks guys, i didnt think the humu humus were that aggressive. so any tangs, like a yellow or a blue hippo, will be ok with a lionfish and a grouper? are there any puffers that will work with lionfish or are they all too aggressive?

Unread 01/17/2011, 05:31 PM   #5
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblin-man View Post
Thanks guys, i didnt think the humu humus were that aggressive. so any tangs, like a yellow or a blue hippo, will be ok with a lionfish and a grouper? are there any puffers that will work with lionfish or are they all too aggressive?
its not that the puffers are agressive. they are just to curious thats. its not if its when they get curious.

IMO the tang will be fine. they are to fast for lion and grouper.(both are slow and clumsy swimmers)

matt

Current Tank Info: Marineland 60Gal ReefReady cube, DIY led, Euroreef Skimmer Ins-80, Mag 9.5 return
Unread 01/17/2011, 05:39 PM   #6
viggen
Registered Member

panther's have a small mouth so that you can have a wider variety of small fish in there. It's just they still get really big & when they do.... they get really ugly, at least to me they do. To me all groupers get to big for the normal home aquarium

Lions are great but many times puffers like to nip (curiosity) on their fins so it's usually one or the other. I have owned a few lion fish & they were great at first but they just lay there & wait.... & wait..... so I got bored with them & will not have another. You also have the size issues, some puffers will get well over a foot long (some lions also do) in a very short time which can make them kinda cramped in a 150g.

Any tangs you would want quite a bit larger then any lion or grouper since they both grow at a much faster rate then the tangs do. You could add a few tangs, semi agressive trigger & a angel or two & it would work.

viggen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2011, 06:51 PM   #7
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Actually, a 150T with its 24" depth would be an awesome lionfish footprint. IMHO/IME, the major issue with sedentary lions is often the fact that a full-grown P. volitans has a hard time turning around in most setups, so they sit there.

We keep our 12" volitans in a 100 gal "wide" (48" x 24" x 20"), and it spends most of its time gracefully cruising the tank as opposed to sitting around. You'd be surprised at how fast a big lion can be when it has room to "run" if you ever have to catch it! I just love the way it perks up when one of us enters the room, doing its best to get a treat.

That being said, once we knock off a couple of pending projects, we hope to move the volitans to an even larger setup (300 gals or so).

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/17/2011, 07:01 PM   #8
DoubleM 10
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by namxas View Post
Actually, a 150T with its 24" depth would be an awesome lionfish footprint. IMHO/IME, the major issue with sedentary lions is often the fact that a full-grown P. volitans has a hard time turning around in most setups, so they sit there.

We keep our 12" volitans in a 100 gal "wide" (48" x 24" x 20"), and it spends most of its time gracefully cruising the tank as opposed to sitting around. You'd be surprised at how fast a big lion can be when it has room to "run" if you ever have to catch it! I just love the way it perks up when one of us enters the room, doing its best to get a treat.

That being said, once we knock off a couple of pending projects, we hope to move the volitans to an even larger setup (300 gals or so).
cant wait to see this

Unread 01/18/2011, 08:48 AM   #9
ramblin-man
Registered Member

cool, thanks guys. i'll take the advice and steer clear of groupers and just get a lion. wrasses are ok with lions too right?

Unread 01/18/2011, 09:34 AM   #10
namxas
Things With Stings R Us!

Personally, I've seen Thalassoma sp. wrasses get rather nasty once they get some size on them, so I'd be leary of them. I saw one bully a lion pretty badly, however the lion was a dwarf fuzzy, so it wasn't very large compared with the wrasse, and the wrasse was established.

I'd definitely make sure the lion is established and feeding well first anyhow.

Current Tank Info: too many to describe, but i think the count is up to "lucky 13"!
namxas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
compaitible, grouper, lionfish, trigger, yellow tang