Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/09/2017, 11:24 AM   #2901
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reef or Die View Post
I like the bubble King super Marin 200 but don't know what they are rated for. Would this be a good skimmer for 120 gallon tank with 40 gallon sump with a decent bio load.

Anyone have some advice or know the gallon range these are good for?
Way too large for a 120 gallon display and would be inconsistent unless you run it really wet. The Double Cone 180 would be a perfect fit. Set the pump between 18 and 22 watts and it will be consistent, silent and reliable!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 12:56 PM   #2902
tenurepro
Registered Member

Any recommendation on a neck cleaner that will work well on mini bk 160?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/09/2017, 03:46 PM   #2903
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenurepro View Post
Any recommendation on a neck cleaner that will work well on mini bk 160?

Made in Germany and designed for the Bubble King 160's. They are unlike any neck cleaner on the market and are truly a well engineered work of art!
http://aquadriverusa.com/products/aq...lean-helix-160

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 05/09/2017, 09:49 PM   #2904
tenurepro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
Made in Germany and designed for the Bubble King 160's. They are unlike any neck cleaner on the market and are truly a well engineered work of art!

http://aquadriverusa.com/products/aq...lean-helix-160

Sweet!

tenurepro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 07:46 AM   #2905
mlb75
Premium Member

I know the neck cleaners have been a thing for quite awhile but can someone tell me why they're such a good idea?

When I clean my skimmer (2-3 times a week) there is sludge on both sides of the neck of the collection cup and to be honest 65% of it is on the wet side with the lesser amount on the side where the liquid is collected.

I always figured that was just an easy place for the organics to start collecting and am glad they're out of the system. Why would I want to not collect stuff there and wash it back into the skimmer body? Sure some of it will then be picked back up by the foam head and moved to the collection cup but some of it is bound to end up back in the system.

Just trying to understand why people want them...

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/10/2017, 12:39 PM   #2906
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb75 View Post
I know the neck cleaners have been a thing for quite awhile but can someone tell me why they're such a good idea?

When I clean my skimmer (2-3 times a week) there is sludge on both sides of the neck of the collection cup and to be honest 65% of it is on the wet side with the lesser amount on the side where the liquid is collected.

I always figured that was just an easy place for the organics to start collecting and am glad they're out of the system. Why would I want to not collect stuff there and wash it back into the skimmer body? Sure some of it will then be picked back up by the foam head and moved to the collection cup but some of it is bound to end up back in the system.

Just trying to understand why people want them...
First the neck cleaners keep the neck clean which allows the foam to rise smoothly up the neck. Excessive gunk on the inside of the neck creates friction which causes some of the bubbles to burst on the way up instead of flowing smoothly up the neck. The consistently clean neck keeps the skimmer performing at optimal efficiency. It also reduces maintenance significantly. Now that said, not all neck cleaners are created equal. Most neck cleaners have the blade vertical which smears the gunk around the neck and allows some of, if not most of the gunk to get into the skimmer body where some of the gunk will get caught up in the foam to be exported but not all of it. The Aquadriver Helix has the blade angled so that when the wiper is rotating, the scum is pulled upward to the top of the neck and doesn't get sent back down into the skimmer. It also has a built in sprayer that draws water from inside the skimmer body and squirts it on the inside of the neck and lid while the wiper is rotating. The constant stream of water that is shot on the the neck and lid (during rotation) improves the wipers efficiency and aids in exporting the grime into the collection cup where it belongs. The Helix is also unique in that it has a dual wiper system which keeps both the neck and lid free of gunk. The underside of the lid where the wiper attaches has a conical shape (see pictures below) which further improves skimmer performance by pushing the rising foam out to the edge of the neck. The Helix uses a powerful high speed gear driven motor that rotates at a very high rate of speed. Mine runs once a day for 15 seconds and my neck is always clean. I only remove my collection cup once every 6-12 months and even then, it's not needed. It reduces the maintenance on the skimmer and really improves the skimmers performance. Between the neck and lid wiper and the shape of the underside of the lid, it's like no other neck cleaner out there.

Here are some pictures of my Helix. Mine has the optional collection cup washdown which I have connected to a hose spigot in the closet next to the tank. I run it once in a blue moon to rinse my collection cup. Frankly, I don't care if my cup has some gunk in it so it's not something I use often at all.

In this picture you can see the shape of the underside that pushes the foam out to the edge of the neck.

You can see the built in gray nozzle that sprays water onto the neck when the wiper is rotating. There is another nozzle hole that you can see that shoots water onto the lid too.

In this one, you can see the complete Helix with the optional collection cup washdown. Also note the long silicone tube that goes into the skimmer body. That is where the water is drawn from for the built in neck and lid spray system. There are rollers under the plastic dome that the tubing is routed through. When the motor rotates, the rollers role across the tubing and draw water from inside the skimmer to be sprayed on the inside of the neck and lid. It works amazingly well.

Here you can see the lid wiper that is curved so that that the wiper pushes the gunk on the lid to the end of the lid where the acrylic ring is so it gets dispensed into the collection cup.

It's also very low profile and is only 1" taller than a tradional skimmer lid which is nice for tight spaces.

This video shows how it works. As I said above, there are other neck cleaners on the market but not all are created equal. This one is unlike no other and if you appreciate Bubble King quality, you would appreciate the Helix. This is the only neck cleaner that is recommended and sold by Royal Exclusiv in Germany. It's truly an engineered solution from the ground up that is built to last and improve the skimmers performance and not just a cheap skimmer lid with a cheap motor and a flimsy wiper blade attached to it. I've been using the Aquadriver neck cleaners for nearly 7 years now and they are truly one of the best neck cleaners money can buy. You can't beat the quality.

Last edited by slief; 05/10/2017 at 12:44 PM.
Unread 05/11/2017, 11:48 AM   #2907
mlb75
Premium Member

That is a seriously nice piece of hardware and I can see how the cone shape in the center would be effective. I also get how it would be necessary if you use a separate collection container for the skimmate vs empting and cleaning the cup itself.

For those of us that empty and clean the cup every couple days would it help produce better skimmate and or make a noticeable enough difference that you'd recommend it?

Current Tank Info: Currently tankless planning ~90G nano
mlb75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/11/2017, 12:00 PM   #2908
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb75 View Post
That is a seriously nice piece of hardware and I can see how the cone shape in the center would be effective. I also get how it would be necessary if you use a separate collection container for the skimmate vs empting and cleaning the cup itself.

For those of us that empty and clean the cup every couple days would it help produce better skimmate and or make a noticeable enough difference that you'd recommend it?
It keeps the skimmer very consistent which is the most important part since consistency is what we strive for with a quality skimmer. In my experience, it makes a very nice difference. While I do have a separate container connected to my skimmer drain, I manually drain my cup on an as needed basis by opening a valve on my skimmer drain line and allowing to to flow into the jug. For a skimmer like the Mini's, I would tap the drain hole and thread a john guest valve into it and connect some tubing to that so it can drain into an external jug that way you never have to mess with the skimmer. The less you remove the cup and mess with things, the more consistent they run.

Unread 05/19/2017, 01:57 PM   #2909
sensei
Registered Member

I have a BK 250 SM Skimmer in my 600g system.
I have around 30 fish, some of them large 10" or more and 8 tangs

I am having problems regulating my skimmer.
I am not sure if I am doing it well.

I regulated the foam to be around 1.5 inches from the top of the neck so that the neck does not get gunky and skimmer works well one week and then the foam level goes up and I get the cup full in one day and if I lower the foam after a couple of days the foan goes down more and gets all the neck gunky.
the pump idisplay is at 43 now.

please let me know what you think?

can you explain how to set up the pump correctly?
I do not know if I should lower the watts of the pump or increase them??

thanks a lot

Unread 05/19/2017, 02:07 PM   #2910
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
I have a BK 250 SM Skimmer in my 600g system.
I have around 30 fish, some of them large 10" or more and 8 tangs

I am having problems regulating my skimmer.
I am not sure if I am doing it well.

I regulated the foam to be around 1.5 inches from the top of the neck so that the neck does not get gunky and skimmer works well one week and then the foam level goes up and I get the cup full in one day and if I lower the foam after a couple of days the foan goes down more and gets all the neck gunky.
the pump idisplay is at 43 now.

please let me know what you think?

can you explain how to set up the pump correctly?
I do not know if I should lower the watts of the pump or increase them??

thanks a lot
Your load as far as fish goes is on the light side. I run the same skimmer on my 700 gallon system with over 70 fish in it and the skimmer could still handle more.

That said, lower the pump speed to between 36-38 watts. You are looking for the most dense foam possible and the sweet spot for the SM250 is right in that range. Higher will result in less contact time, larger faster moving bubbles and less efficient organic removal. Lower the level in the skimmer so the line where bubbles turn to foam is about 1" above the white collar where the neck/cup threads to the body. That is about as wet as you would want to set the skimmer. If you go much higher, you will have regular overflows. If the skimmer suddenly starts producing more skimmate, shut the pump down and remove the nozzle from the pump and inspect the venturi port where the silicone air hose connects to the pump. You are looking for salt creep which blocks off airflow and results in more water flow into he skimmer. This will lead to sudden overflows. I clean my venturi ports about once a month.

As for the neck getting gunked up, that is normal and is why many of us run a quality neck cleaner. That or you should remove the collection cup once a week and clean it. This is what I suggest as it's about the best neck cleaner money can buy and is designed for these skimmers. Mine runs once a day for 15 seconds and my neck is always clean and gunk free which not only reduces maintenance but it also keeps the skimmer performing optimally. I remove my collection cup every several months for cleaning.

Unread 05/19/2017, 02:26 PM   #2911
sensei
Registered Member

thanks a lot.
I will try to set it up as you say and get back in a couple of days

I have never cleaned the ventury.
is there a video that shows how to do it?
thanks again

Unread 05/19/2017, 02:39 PM   #2912
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensei View Post
thanks a lot.
I will try to set it up as you say and get back in a couple of days

I have never cleaned the ventury.
is there a video that shows how to do it?
thanks again
Glad to help. There is no video. I supposed I could do one but it's pretty simple. The nozzle is held in place via an o-ring. It pulls right out from the front of the pump. I have a thread in the Bubble King forum discussing the nozzle with pictures. It's covered in the first post here. I usually use a tooth pick to remove the salt creep. That or the tip of a fork. Take a look at the first post in this thread:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2573406

Unread 05/20/2017, 05:49 AM   #2913
sensei
Registered Member

got it.
thank a lot

Unread 06/06/2017, 08:53 PM   #2914
bluecoyote79
Registered Member

For a light to medium stocked system with 90 gallons total, would you recommend a bubble king double cone 150 or the double cone 180 with the DC pump?

Current Tank Info: DSA 65g w/ 20g sump, two AI Hydra 52s, Skimz SM-163 skimmer and Reef Octopus DC-5500 return
bluecoyote79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 04:30 PM   #2915
ngdv
Registered Member

I have recently purchased a bubble King mini 160 vs12. Put it in de sump, start it up and for some reason I can't get a proper skim from it. It feels like it's getting to much air or to less water. The skim won't go past halve the lower part, not even close to the collection cup. I'm having it in a red sea reefer 250, around 20cm(8") water height . Yet it won't skim. Did any of you have this problems in the start of the new skimmer?

Foto shows what I mean.

ngdv is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2017, 04:39 PM   #2916
ngdv
Registered Member

Might add aswell that I have played with the venturi /tube, remove the demper and played with the tube. Yet nothing

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-G935F met Tapatalk

Unread 06/15/2017, 07:34 AM   #2917
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecoyote79 View Post
For a light to medium stocked system with 90 gallons total, would you recommend a bubble king double cone 150 or the double cone 180 with the DC pump?
Sorry for the late reply. I don't monitor this thread as much as I should since we have a dedicated forum here. I would suggest the Double Cone 150. The 180 would work if you had a heavier load or if you run it really wet. Another alternative that would be set it and forget it would be the Mini 160. I run one on a 90 gallon tank and absolutely love it.

Unread 06/15/2017, 07:35 AM   #2918
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngdv View Post
I have recently purchased a bubble King mini 160 vs12. Put it in de sump, start it up and for some reason I can't get a proper skim from it. It feels like it's getting to much air or to less water. The skim won't go past halve the lower part, not even close to the collection cup. I'm having it in a red sea reefer 250, around 20cm(8") water height . Yet it won't skim. Did any of you have this problems in the start of the new skimmer?

Foto shows what I mean.
Close the wedge pipe some to get the water level up to about 1" below the white PVC collar at the top of the body. Also, you may want to loose the set screw that keeps the wedge pipe tight and make sure the wedge pipe is seated all the way down into the effluent fitting. If it's not all the way seated, the wedge pipe will not function and you won't be able to raise the level in the skimmer.

How long has the skimmer been in the sump? I assume you have it in salt water and not fresh water for testing?

Unread 06/15/2017, 07:38 AM   #2919
ngdv
Registered Member

Quote:
Close the wedge pipe some to get the water level up to about 1" below the white PVC collar at the top of the body.
Have tried that, yet turning it won't increase it. The only thing that would increase it is holding my thumb abit on the air intake so it would have abit less air. Or putting the silicone hose on the ozon opening. When I do that it skims really good yet I can't keep it like that since the silicone hose doesn't fit ofc.

Unread 06/15/2017, 08:53 AM   #2920
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Close the wedge pipe some to get the water level up to about 1" below the white PVC collar at the top of the body. Also, you may want to loose the set screw that keeps the wedge pipe tight and make sure the wedge pipe is seated all the way down into the effluent fitting. If it's not all the way seated, the wedge pipe will not function and you won't be able to raise the level in the skimmer.

How long has the skimmer been in the sump? I assume you have it in salt water and not fresh water for testing?
Your wedge pipe must not be seated all the way in. Closing the wedge pipe by rotating it blocks the flow of water coming out of the skimmer. The more you close it, the higher the level inside the skimmer. If the skimmer is responding to the wedge pipe then it's not all the way down into the fitting. Like I said, loosen the screw and push the wedge pipe down all the way into the fitting. You can pull the skimmer out if you need to and inspect the wedge pipe so you can see if it's all the way down and familiarize yourself with how it work. if the wedge pipe is seated, it should be able to make the skimmer overflow because the water won't be able to leave the skimmer.
The reason holding your finger over the air intake or placing the hose on the ozone port works is because you are reducing the airflow into the skimmer which in turn increases the water flow. The wedge pipe is your friend. If need be, raise your sump level a bit higher. If you are at 8", raise it to 8.5".

Unread 06/15/2017, 03:59 PM   #2921
ngdv
Registered Member

Quote:
Your wedge pipe must not be seated all the way in. Closing the wedge pipe by rotating it blocks the flow of water coming out of the skimmer. The more you close it, the higher the level inside the skimmer. If the skimmer is responding to the wedge pipe then it's not all the way down into the fitting. Like I said, loosen the screw and push the wedge pipe down all the way into the fitting. You can pull the skimmer out if you need to and inspect the wedge pipe so you can see if it's all the way down and familiarize yourself with how it work. if the wedge pipe is seated, it should be able to make the skimmer overflow because the water won't be able to leave the skimmer.
The reason holding your finger over the air intake or placing the hose on the ozone port works is because you are reducing the airflow into the skimmer which in turn increases the water flow. The wedge pipe is your friend. If need be, raise your sump level a bit higher. If you are at 8", raise it to 8.5".
Checked and double checked everything you said. The wedge pipe is seated all the way in. I have pulled apart and checked twice now. The most I got out of it. Is turning is further then the stripes on de holder of the wedge pipe. As you can see the red silicone tube is abit closed down because of this and I assume that is the reason it's working now. But I'm unsure in if this is the solution. Oké I have had it Sinds Tuesday, so it has to break in but it still feels weird.

I'm going to my lfs on Saturday where I bought it as well, and maybe try to get my sump level up to 8,5 with a overflow comb.

Any tips are appreciated.

Unread 06/15/2017, 05:46 PM   #2922
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Checked and double checked everything you said. The wedge pipe is seated all the way in. I have pulled apart and checked twice now. The most I got out of it. Is turning is further then the stripes on de holder of the wedge pipe. As you can see the red silicone tube is abit closed down because of this and I assume that is the reason it's working now. But I'm unsure in if this is the solution. Oké I have had it Sinds Tuesday, so it has to break in but it still feels weird.

I'm going to my lfs on Saturday where I bought it as well, and maybe try to get my sump level up to 8,5 with a overflow comb.

Any tips are appreciated.
It's working now because you have the wedge pipe closed a bunch. I just checked the depth on mine and I have it at 9" deep. Increase your sump level. The low end of the depth range is for a heavier load. The more dissolved organics you have the in water, the higher the level inside the skimmer because the bubbles start sticking together more and that raises the line where bubbles turn to foam. Once you raise the level in your sump, the skimmer will perform better and you won't need to close the wedge pipe nearly as much. Also, you can rotate the wedge pipe 180* so the hose isn't under tension like that. Once you get the water level sorted out, you wont want to restrict the airflow.

Unread 06/16/2017, 11:59 AM   #2923
ngdv
Registered Member

Quote:
It's working now because you have the wedge pipe closed a bunch. I just checked the depth on mine and I have it at 9" deep. Increase your sump level. The low end of the depth range is for a heavier load. The more dissolved organics you have the in water, the higher the level inside the skimmer because the bubbles start sticking together more and that raises the line where bubbles turn to foam. Once you raise the level in your sump, the skimmer will perform better and you won't need to close the wedge pipe nearly as much. Also, you can rotate the wedge pipe 180* so the hose isn't under tension like that. Once you get the water level sorted out, you wont want to restrict the airflow.
Gonna raise the water level tomorrow, Thanks for the help and tips. Appreciate it!

Besides this I am in love with the skimmer. It's quiet and you can see and feel the quality. Worth every penny.

Unread 06/16/2017, 12:15 PM   #2924
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Gonna raise the water level tomorrow, Thanks for the help and tips. Appreciate it!

Besides this I am in love with the skimmer. It's quiet and you can see and feel the quality. Worth every penny.

Keep us posted!

Unread 06/17/2017, 05:30 PM   #2925
ngdv
Registered Member

Sooo, I upped the sump level from 8 to 9 by placing a overflow comb on the bubble trap. Water went up, skimmer level went up, and it's skimming beter. Turned the wedge to let the intake get the full amount of air again. And it was down to nothing.
I have checked the whole skimmer again, and added a tinyer silicone tube on the air intake. And it seems to skim better again, and I have turn the wedge abit more. It on the first stripe now. If I turn it 180 degree, the water level in the skimmer is down to nothing again.

Any other tips? Or can I say that I have a faulty one? (would be weird since they test it and it got checked for everything).