Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/21/2017, 08:36 PM   #1
Albertan_Reef
Registered Member

230 gallon DIY peninsula tank

Ive been building this tank for the last month. But its my upgrade to my 150 since i have some fish that get pretty big. And honestly, who doesnt love a huge tank.

The glass is from 2 150 gallon aquariums and the euro bracing and bottom i sourced from a local tank builder for super cheap.

Stand is your basic style stand, 2x4s and ply wood with 1 inch insulation foam.

Sump is a synergy reef sump. Full apex. Simplicity skimmer. 2x mp40 and a vectra m1. Carbon and gfo reactor. Coast to coast over flow. And 30 gallon remote refugium.

Lighting is supplied by 3 sb reef sbox and 8x ati aqua blue plus t5 bulbs built in a diy floating canopy.

The scape will be a minimalist lay out. With 3 islands. From left to right will be a big island , sloping up from the front corner ( living room side ) curving to the back before curving to the middle with a medium over hang. In the middle of the bay will be a flat piece of rock that my GSP is over taking ( 12" x 6" ) to act as a grass field. The middle island will be snaller , only 1/3 the way up the tank and will most likely have a cave formed into it for my cat shark. The last island will be a bonsai island reaching the same height as the bigger island.

The tank will mostly be sps from half way up and lps and different soft corals lower down.

Fish load will be big considering there is a shark. But will have 4 or 5 tangs ( currently have a sail fin and yellow in my 150) and a rabbit fish or fox face . a small school of chromis. Some gobies and assorted small fish.

For thoughs wondering , my shark is only 6 inches long and eats a mix of shrimp, scallops, muscles and squid. Nothing live.

Sent from my LG-H831 using Tapatalk

Albertan_Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 09:46 PM   #2
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

That is big project to DIY. Props for even attempting to take it on.

ratherbeflyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/23/2017, 09:54 PM   #3
Albertan_Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratherbeflyen View Post
That is big project to DIY. Props for even attempting to take it on.
Thank you. I believe if im gunna do it i may as well go big with it.

Unread 10/24/2017, 02:57 PM   #4
RobSpeed13
Registered Member

nice, wish you the best of luck with this. dimensions look good. hopefully it passes a leak test. something of that size and gallons id test outside over the course of a week.

RobSpeed13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/24/2017, 02:58 PM   #5
Albertan_Reef
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobSpeed13 View Post
nice, wish you the best of luck with this. dimensions look good. hopefully it passes a leak test. something of that size and gallons id test outside over the course of a week.
Defintiely. I actually just filled it out side lol.

Unread 12/10/2017, 02:04 PM   #6
R1ant04
Registered Member

Updates?

R1ant04 is offline   Reply With Quote