Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/03/2017, 07:52 PM   #2826
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Mike, thanks, my friend! I’m very happy I could be motivational!
Good luck with the re-scape and post some pics!

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
reefmutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/04/2017, 10:15 PM   #2827
drawman
Registered Member

Matt you have my vote for TOTM! Glad to see things are going so well for you buddy keep those videos coming!

Did you notice any lingering bryopsis/GHA in low light areas after fluconazole? I'm currently using Vibrant and GFO to knock down my bubble algae and I think it's making progress on GHA but I may lay down the hammer with Flucon

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 05:02 AM   #2828
Rakie
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by reefmutt View Post
Thank you. No, not really. I just use a plexiglass viewing box and I rest the lens of my camera on the bottom of the box..
Thats how my camera went swimming that one time! I need a better viewing box so I can get proper pix.

Rakie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 09:35 AM   #2829
markalot

Quote:
Hey Wally, n was down to around 1 ppm or less and p .08-.1 just before dosing fluconazole.

It’s weird.. I Really thought I posted a link to the iPhone video I took yesterday.. I guess it didn’t work..
Here’s how the corals look right now.
This video is with all lights on at about the 2 minute mark the mh turn off. Doesn’t change much..

https://youtu.be/OYCqtmjluYs
From days ago but wow, not only great video but a favorite song from a favorite group.

Unread 12/05/2017, 01:32 PM   #2830
JB NY
Registered Member

Great to see everything is looking good!

TOTM Sept 2002 | Reefland April 2004 | CORAL Magazine Nov 2007
Featured Tank "Coral Reef Aquarium" 2011 | Reef Spotlight 2018

Current Tank Info: 270G SPS Tank, 140G sumps, 35G Frag Tank, Ultra Reef Akula UKS-200 Skimmer, Apex, Giesemann Spectra 3x250W MH 4x80W T5, 2xReefbrite Tech 72" Blue LED, Triton Dosing, ARID C30 Algae Reactor, Maxspect Gyre
JB NY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/07/2017, 06:53 PM   #2831
Pife
Registered Member

Hey Matt it's a new page and there aren't any pictures on it. Think you can fix that? I'm jonesing for some of your good photography.

I'm not saying let's get rid of all the stupid people.* I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem work itself out.

Current Tank Info: 150g DT plumbed to an 80g frag tank and 220g sump in the basement. ~6-MP40s ~ 12 ATI powered t5s ~ Reefbrites and Radions supplementing ~ Custom GEO Skimmer ~ GEO CA Reactor 6x24~ Iwaki 70 Return ~
Pife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 01:06 PM   #2832
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Matt you have my vote for TOTM! Glad to see things are going so well for you buddy keep those videos coming!

Did you notice any lingering bryopsis/GHA in low light areas after fluconazole? I'm currently using Vibrant and GFO to knock down my bubble algae and I think it's making progress on GHA but I may lay down the hammer with Flucon
Hey Tim, thanks! I have to get me a GoPro or some such similar.. iPhone doesn’t cut it for video.. not the 6 anyways..
I have not had a sign of bryopsis since dosing fluconazole. I never really had a hair algae problem and really have virtually none in the tank.. maybe a touch in the far rech s of my fuge. But I do have lots of snails everywhere..
As for bubble algea, it has ALMOST completely disappeared- however- I’m not necessarily blaming that on the fluconazole. Could be a coincidence.
Personally, my first choice for trying the beat hair algae is using consumers of it- snails, hermits, urchins, Sea hairs fish etc.. it can just be so tough on Corals when you have the hair algae stripping the water of nutrients and then you use gfo to strip it further.. a good army of cleaners will put some nutrients back in the water as they consume the ha and then gfo and/or macro algae/denitrification can do the rest. Seems less harsh to me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakie View Post
Thats how my camera went swimming that one time! I need a better viewing box so I can get proper pix.
Yeah.. I’ve dunked the ends of my lenses in water several times when I push the viewing box down just a little too far and water overflows.. so far I’ve been able to dry them before any issue occur..

Quote:
Originally Posted by markalot View Post
From days ago but wow, not only great video but a favorite song from a favorite group.
Hey Mark, thanks! Yeah, I’m a big fan of vintage Dire straights as well. That song happened to be exactly the same length as the video, so it worked out well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JB NY View Post
Great to see everything is looking good!
Hey Joe, thanks for stopping in!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pife View Post
Hey Matt it's a new page and there aren't any pictures on it. Think you can fix that? I'm jonesing for some of your good photography.
Hey Brandon, I’ll do my darndest this weekend. I have to do some tests as well.. I haven’t tested in two weeks since adding the new cheato.
Thanks, man! Always happy to hear positive feedback.

Current Tank Info: 53x32.5x26 190g dt 60g of sumps 3 tank-100 gal frag system 6xAI prime 8xt5. 4x maxspect gyre. Skimz Dual internal sicce pump skimmer Deltec PF601s ca rx+Kalk stirrer
Unread 12/09/2017, 01:56 PM   #2833
Rakie
In Memoriam

Well you have a real camera, you may as well get the porthole or something haha. I have no choice but to use the viewing box -_-

Unread 12/09/2017, 07:52 PM   #2834
Rakie
In Memoriam

Sorry to Hijack Matt... But I can't take a picture of this damn coral without remembering you wanting some pics of the thing.

Unread 12/10/2017, 06:33 PM   #2835
reefmutt
Registered Member

Hey Rakie, that flame is on the verge of exploding.. very nice!

so, here's a small update.. over two weeks after adding new cheato to my fuge and noting clearly that it has been growing, my nitrate remains around 35ppm and p around .3... grrr..
Alk is stable in the 6.5-7 range, calcium right around 420..
I have increased photoperiod by a couple hours - to about 17 hrs..
I've reduced food a tiny bit as well..
If i see no reduction in another week or so, i may consider trying a very small dose of nopox..
I have also posted new a video to youtube. this time I used my dslr (d70) and a viewing box. video quality is quite nice as is cri.. I used a wide angle zoom as well as my macro..
I stretched the limits of my tech skills editing in iMovie.. sorry for the out of focus bits and shaky view...
Now, I am going to figure out how to embed the video... if it KILLS me!!!

Last edited by reefmutt; 12/10/2017 at 06:42 PM.
Unread 12/10/2017, 07:48 PM   #2836
Ucantwin
Registered Member

Great video! The large colony all the way to the right at the :17 mark looks like it has encrusted a tremendous amount. You always here not to place corals so close when they are frags and that shows a good reason to listen to that rule.

Ucantwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 08:21 PM   #2837
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ucantwin View Post
Great video! The large colony all the way to the right at the :17 mark looks like it has encrusted a tremendous amount. You always here not to place corals so close when they are frags and that shows a good reason to listen to that rule.
Thanks! Looking at it again, I realize it’s annoyingly shaky and focusy.. hm. My next attempt will be better!
True about placing frags but you never know really how much a frag will encrust. The one you mentioned as well as the pink tip in the upper left of the tank have massive encrusting rings around them but many Corals barely encrust at all.. my torts- Cali, wannabe Oregon practically don’t encrust at all. My tenuis frags as well. Almost no base. The red coral right up on centre left, however encrusts like Alexander the Great, overtaking everything in it’s path. Nothing survives against it. Other Corals may meet while encrusting meet and just stop, or one grows over the other without killing it.. many different scenarios. Ultimately I find that most of the time the branches end up father out than the encrust base. My only exception is the one your mentioned. It’s base is about as wide as it’s branches..

Unread 12/10/2017, 08:53 PM   #2838
Rakie
In Memoriam

I can't wait till my corals grow up.. I should stop fragging things for friends so often haha

Unread 12/10/2017, 09:22 PM   #2839
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey Rakie, that flame is on the verge of exploding.. very nice!

so, here's a small update.. over two weeks after adding new cheato to my fuge and noting clearly that it has been growing, my nitrate remains around 35ppm and p around .3... grrr..
Alk is stable in the 6.5-7 range, calcium right around 420..
I have increased photoperiod by a couple hours - to about 17 hrs..
I've reduced food a tiny bit as well..
If i see no reduction in another week or so, i may consider trying a very small dose of nopox..
I have also posted new a video to youtube. this time I used my dslr (d70) and a viewing box. video quality is quite nice as is cri.. I used a wide angle zoom as well as my macro..
I stretched the limits of my tech skills editing in iMovie.. sorry for the out of focus bits and shaky view...
Now, I am going to figure out how to embed the video... if it KILLS me!!!

Matt,

Where is the *NEW* VIDEO? I only see a black Box.
I saw the previous video from link before.
WHen I click on Black Box, nothing happens.
Maybe it's my browser. Using IE and Chrome.
Maybe you are still working on Embedding.

Wally.B is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/10/2017, 11:31 PM   #2840
Wally.B
Registered Member

Matt, Never mind, I hit last video and found the new one (on your channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls39bSNw0yo

WOW, I love the Intro Full tank view. Wish you would stay a bit longer on the Wide View (HOLDING STILL LONGER during Full tank view. At least for 30 seconds please).
I kept hitting pause to gawk but then PAUSE makes things fuzzy and fish stop moving

Reshoot that ALL TANK portion, Go Wide and when closer, pan across SLOWLY.

This is the first time I truly can appreciate YOUR tank in it's total (The True Size).
The fish movement, it's all there.

Stunning, BUT I WANT MORE!!!

ENCORE!! ENCORE!!

Unread 12/11/2017, 10:37 AM   #2841
Wally.B
Registered Member

Matt,

Thanks for the Video Inspiration/Idea.

As you know I just Transferred my 65 Gal SPS tank out to Prepare for the New Larger Replacement in-wall-tank.

Tank is sitting on 2x4 stand on basement floor as I rebuild things.
Since tank Now has all 4 sides accessible and will eventually be shut down.

I pulled out my Ikelite Underwater Housing/Canon Camera and took a dive into the tank.

It's just rocks with all my Frags mounted for now, and nothing compared to your setup,
but I left the SOUND ON THE CAMERA, and didn't edit it out.
Leave the sound on your computer while watching, since tank video is something to HEAR (What the fish hear).

Started a mini thread with the LINK to the VIDEO, since I just shut down my OLD THREAD.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2661024

Will eventually start a Tank build on new Setup, but lots of work to prepare.

Still looking forward to that Longer Wide Video of your tank.

Cheers, Wally

Unread 12/11/2017, 02:43 PM   #2842
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Matt, Never mind, I hit last video and found the new one (on your channel)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ls39bSNw0yo

WOW, I love the Intro Full tank view. Wish you would stay a bit longer on the Wide View (HOLDING STILL LONGER during Full tank view. At least for 30 seconds please).
I kept hitting pause to gawk but then PAUSE makes things fuzzy and fish stop moving

Reshoot that ALL TANK portion, Go Wide and when closer, pan across SLOWLY.

This is the first time I truly can appreciate YOUR tank in it's total (The True Size).
The fish movement, it's all there.

Stunning, BUT I WANT MORE!!!

ENCORE!! ENCORE!!
Thanks Wally. I got the bug. I will take your recommendations to heart!
I’m sure I can do better..

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:52 PM   #2843
DiscusHeckel
Acropora Gardener

Brilliant video, Matt. You have corals galore....

Some video editing tools, such as iMovie, can actually help you stabilise recordings if you have a shaky hand.

65G SPS Reef- ATI 8 X 39W PM; TM [Bacto-Balance A-; Reef Actif; Nitribiotic; Iodine]
DiscusHeckel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 07:15 PM   #2844
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscusHeckel View Post
Brilliant video, Matt. You have corals galore....

Some video editing tools, such as iMovie, can actually help you stabilise recordings if you have a shaky hand.
Thanks Bulent, I DO have corals galore.. that’s for sure. Not much room left for more but there are several under performers that could come out to make room for nicer stuff..
I actually used iMovie and I saw the anti shake feature but when i tried to use it, it took forever- like forever- to apply it and in the end, I gave up trying to make it work. I guess my 2011 iMac doesn’t have the computing powers to accomplish the task..
My next movie will be better.

Unread 12/11/2017, 08:22 PM   #2845
slavetonet
Registered Member

Will need to watch this video on my big screen TV.
Thanks for posting it - 11 mins of it. LOL

slavetonet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 09:01 PM   #2846
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slavetonet View Post
Will need to watch this video on my big screen TV.
Thanks for posting it - 11 mins of it. LOL
Ha! It’s so shaky, you’ll get nauseous watching it on a big screen.
That’s right! 11 minutes. My first dslr video, I was going ALL IN!!

In movie mode, it is auto focus and when using a macro lens, the focus is so tight that it is always searching for the right focus..
I’ll try more with the wider lens.

Unread 12/11/2017, 10:06 PM   #2847
drawman
Registered Member

Matt great video!

With those colors I would hesitate to change anything about where your nutrients are at. Remind me are you dosing anything other than what you get from your Ca Rx? It's been so long since I've looked.

Current tanks:
30 gallon rimless, G2 radion, Vertex 130, MP10w
60 gallon rimless, G3 radion, Vertex 130, MP40QD
drawman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 11:10 PM   #2848
Wally.B
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks Wally. I got the bug. I will take your recommendations to heart!
I’m sure I can do better..
Matt, just a suggestion....

That video was great, but before you redo better, which I know you will.
Not longer 25 minute re-take
Why not break it up into a few separate segments for special interests.

A WIDE FULL tank view, no movement, maybe 5 minutes long so I can watch the whole tank in action (but longer to see all that happens, fish, flow, etc).
I may put it up on my 60" plasma (looping), next to the Crackling (Gas Fireplace ) over the Christmas Holiday Family visits.
I'll tell everyone that someday, I HOPE my new tank will look somewhat as Beautiful as yours!!

Do a separate set of vids, of (your favorites) (best growers) (best colors) (SPS categories) or (just slow close-up pans of various sections of your tank).
Those Christmas guests might be interested when seeing the Wide Tank View a specific closeup, since I will have two reefer brother in laws over (but never thought much of trying SPS, after all my struggles and failure of past). They like my successful Mixed NON-SPS tank way better.

Not sure if you'll have time to have something ready before Christmas Break, but that would be cool for distraction/entertainment.

Just a suggestion, but I certainly would enjoy the longer Wide View at minimum.

I need help to support the NEW Coming Tank since wife isn't particularly happy with my enthusiasm over another tank. She'll be happy when she see's the new Rec Room view with the Extra Side exposed.

Wally

Unread 12/12/2017, 08:27 AM   #2849
gregkn73
Registered Member

Matt do you embedded music in your video? I cannot watch your last 2videos and can't figure the reason....

gregkn73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 10:42 AM   #2850
reefmutt
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by drawman View Post
Matt great video!

With those colors I would hesitate to change anything about where your nutrients are at. Remind me are you dosing anything other than what you get from your Ca Rx? It's been so long since I've looked.
Hey Tim, writhing the past 6-8 months nutrients have gone from 50n and .2p down to 1n .08p and back up to where they are now. From re introducing cheato to pull down from last years high, to fluconazole which bumped them back up, they’ve been all over the place.
I hear ya, I won’t do anything drastic..
I’m dosing 2 vials a week of prodibio Bioptim along with fluorine, iodine and vitamins from AF. I also add a pinch of reef roids and fm reef vitality every night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally.B View Post
Matt, just a suggestion....

That video was great, but before you redo better, which I know you will.
Not longer 25 minute re-take
Why not break it up into a few separate segments for special interests.

A WIDE FULL tank view, no movement, maybe 5 minutes long so I can watch the whole tank in action (but longer to see all that happens, fish, flow, etc).
I may put it up on my 60" plasma (looping), next to the Crackling (Gas Fireplace ) over the Christmas Holiday Family visits.
I'll tell everyone that someday, I HOPE my new tank will look somewhat as Beautiful as yours!!

Do a separate set of vids, of (your favorites) (best growers) (best colors) (SPS categories) or (just slow close-up pans of various sections of your tank).
Those Christmas guests might be interested when seeing the Wide Tank View a specific closeup, since I will have two reefer brother in laws over (but never thought much of trying SPS, after all my struggles and failure of past). They like my successful Mixed NON-SPS tank way better.

Not sure if you'll have time to have something ready before Christmas Break, but that would be cool for distraction/entertainment.

Just a suggestion, but I certainly would enjoy the longer Wide View at minimum.

I need help to support the NEW Coming Tank since wife isn't particularly happy with my enthusiasm over another tank. She'll be happy when she see's the new Rec Room view with the Extra Side exposed.

Wally
Wally! That’s a taaaaaal order! I wouldn’t expect anything less from the man who never sleeps!
The individual videos was definitely in my plans.
I wish I could say I’ll have time iver the holidays but probably to opposite will happen.. we’ll see
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregkn73 View Post
Matt do you embedded music in your video? I cannot watch your last 2videos and can't figure the reason....
Hey Greg, yes I did put music in the last two..
Where are you? I wonder why only you can’t see them.. maybe different parts of the world have different copyright laws..
My next one, I’ll do without music, unless you figure it out. I prefer having music just to have a background instead of pump/tank/house noises like my dog barking or my kids playing hockey behind me.. and silent is kinda boring.