Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2016, 02:15 PM   #1
Brieninsac
Registered Member

How much Phytoplankton to add to a new copepod farm

I'm starting a 2-gallon copepod breeding station. I ordered the Pods & Phyto from AlgaeBarn (arrived today). The directions state to add 5ml to 10-gallons to start with, which would equate to 1ml to my 2-gallon container.

My question is from I've been reading your copepod farm should be green with Phytoplankton and when it starts to clear up you're supposed to add more. However, the 1ml doesn't do anything to the color of my pods container.

So I wasn't sure if their recommendation is based on what you would do if you were seeding the copepods in your tank and not for farming.

I'm just trying to figure out how much Phytoplankton I should add to my new farm. I don't want too much or too little.

Unread 04/28/2016, 07:37 AM   #2
shyerdj
Registered Member

i am also setting up a pod farm/growing phyto and am interested in knowing this question about adding phyto to the pods. All I could determine is that ppl just add phyto until it reaches a certain shade of green and add more over time to maintain that color as it is consumed.

Last edited by shyerdj; 04/28/2016 at 07:43 AM.
shyerdj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/28/2016, 09:52 AM   #3
Brieninsac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shyerdj View Post
i am also setting up a pod farm/growing phyto and am interested in knowing this question about adding phyto to the pods. All I could determine is that ppl just add phyto until it reaches a certain shade of green and add more over time to maintain that color as it is consumed.
I'm still not sure about this. I emailed AlgaeBarn where I got the copepods and phyto from and they confirmed all you need is 1-2ml per gallon. Yet everything else I've seen online say add enough phyto to make your water slightly green and as it clears up add more. I don't know if the phyto from AlgaeBarn is stronger then say making your own. Regardless, I've had my farm up for about a week now and I'm not seeing any growth yet. So we'll see how it goes over the next couple of weeks.

Here's a couple pictures of my setup. I'm using a Minnow bait bucket I picked up at a garage sale for $3.

http://www.basspro.com/Frabill-Minno...ct/1310301045/

Unread 04/29/2016, 06:06 AM   #4
shyerdj
Registered Member

I am following the example in this article: http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2003/2/breeder. I had dosed my split 10g pod farm tank with about 4oz of phyto (~120ml) each side which turned the water to a very light green "tea" like color. Honestly that was the only amount of phyto i had remaining from my online purchase and will have some newly grown phyto complete by around monday. I am hoping to see the color clear up but I do not know how long that will take. I will let you know when i get there and maybe include some pix.

Last edited by shyerdj; 04/29/2016 at 06:15 AM.
Unread 05/03/2016, 12:28 PM   #5
shyerdj
Registered Member

it only took a week before the water cleared up and i added another few ounces of phyto per side to get it a light green color again.

Unread 05/03/2016, 12:30 PM   #6
MMacro
Registered Member

I just add enough phyto or spirulina until my water is medium to light green. My tisbe pods have been multiplying steadily so far.

Unread 05/03/2016, 12:33 PM   #7
scuzy
Registered Member

can the pods multiply using spirulina? Or do you need Phyto ? BTW thats a nice bucket where did you get it? I am thinking of culturing my own pods.

scuzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/04/2016, 12:44 AM   #8
MMacro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by scuzy View Post
can the pods multiply using spirulina? Or do you need Phyto ? BTW thats a nice bucket where did you get it? I am thinking of culturing my own pods.
Mine have been doing good off of spirulina so far. I occasionally throw some flake food in as well.
I screwed up earlier and accidentally dumped WAY too much spirulina in and now my culture tank is dark green. I am doing a water change tomorrow morning. If this culture crashes I will strictly be using phyto.

Unread 12/09/2017, 10:40 PM   #9
Hodad2
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMacro View Post
Mine have been doing good off of spirulina so far. I occasionally throw some flake food in as well.

I screwed up earlier and accidentally dumped WAY too much spirulina in and now my culture tank is dark green. I am doing a water change tomorrow morning. If this culture crashes I will strictly be using phyto.

I’ve played around with some spiraling powder and I didn’t see any noticeable difference. I grow ALOT too, for other people. So I have to make sure that they grow. I use a mix of three or four different Phytoplanktons. I also use some flake once every couple weeks. I have to be careful because it fouls the water if u use anything but that.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/12/2017, 10:44 PM   #10
Pdisner
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post
I'm starting a 2-gallon copepod breeding station. I ordered the Pods & Phyto from AlgaeBarn (arrived today). The directions state to add 5ml to 10-gallons to start with, which would equate to 1ml to my 2-gallon container.

My question is from I've been reading your copepod farm should be green with Phytoplankton and when it starts to clear up you're supposed to add more. However, the 1ml doesn't do anything to the color of my pods container.

So I wasn't sure if their recommendation is based on what you would do if you were seeding the copepods in your tank and not for farming.

I'm just trying to figure out how much Phytoplankton I should add to my new farm. I don't want too much or too little.

You are absolutely correct in your feeding routine. Maybe look at what you are feeding. Have you tried growing your own Phyto? There’s other things that copepods eat. It has a little To do with the species. There’s thousands. Some are similiar. Some aren’t. Know your species and try to learn all the facts you can. I culture Tig Californicus and Tisbe. I have a multitude of them. I grow them out for my mandrins and sell to local club members I have so many. There’s new feed and research out there....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pdisner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/11/2018, 06:25 PM   #11
Hodad2
Registered Member

Send me a PM if you have any pod or rotifers or phyto qiestions

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hodad2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 01:02 AM   #12
nathanemmerich
Registered Member

I don't think you are supposed to use an air stone. I read that fine bubbles kill pods, just use a airline with no attachments.

nathanemmerich is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/12/2018, 08:30 AM   #13
lapin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brieninsac View Post

Your setup looks great. Pods are not hard. Just make the water a light shade of green. Some phyto is stronger than others. I use a lot of Phyto Feast and it is very dark. When the water clears add more. You might notice more foam as the water clears. When you add more phyto the foam will go away. The air stone is fine to keep the water moving, just dont over do it or you will get too much foam. Dont forget to monitor your water for quality.

lapin is offline   Reply With Quote