Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Marine Plants & Macroalgae
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/26/2018, 08:18 AM   #26
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Your tank, so far, looks beautiful! Tons of color and life to examine

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 12:56 AM   #27
Kataro
Registered Member

I've been pretty busy and just had the chance to clean the tank, do a Water Change, and took some new pictures!

Some new additions includes

- 15 Apogon Parvulus
- 20 Sexy Shrimps (up to 34-37 now)
- 3 Maxima Clams
- Banded Pipe Fish
- African Bluestripe Pipe fish
- Sea Apple (I'm feeding this guy 2-3 per day with Reef Nutrition PhytoFeast (Live))

FTS

My main Sexy Shrimps Colony, there's 3 colonies spread throughout the tank but this one always have 20+ hanging around

Apogon Parvulus

Christmas Tree Worm still doing good!

Ruby Red Dragonette

Flaming Prawn Goby

Electric Flame Scallop

Field of Feather Duster

More Feather Duster

Brunn's Cleaner Shrimp

22"x15"x12" Coldwater Reef 1" acrylic
Kataro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 08:00 AM   #28
cksss
Registered Member

Wow amazing diversity and beautiful collection of inverts and macros. I'm inspired

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kataro View Post
I've been pretty busy and just had the chance to clean the tank, do a Water Change, and took some new pictures!

Some new additions includes

- 15 Apogon Parvulus
- 20 Sexy Shrimps (up to 34-37 now)
- 3 Maxima Clams
- Banded Pipe Fish
- African Bluestripe Pipe fish
- Sea Apple (I'm feeding this guy 2-3 per day with Reef Nutrition PhytoFeast (Live))

cksss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/31/2018, 08:53 AM   #29
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Fantastic! I was just looking at those cardinals, thinking how they remind me of neon tetras. They look great in your gorgeous tank! The shrimp colonies are awesome too. Great pics!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/01/2019, 07:53 AM   #30
vlangel
Registered Member

Everything is so intricate and beautiful. You have done an amazing job of creating a gourgeous diverse marine aquarium.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 12:47 AM   #31
gar732
Registered Member

Awesome tank, love the color and diversity. I’m in the process of setting up a macro tank but I’m having a hard time finding the nicer macros. Would you mind sharing your source? I can’t wait to see how the tank progresses.

gar732 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 06:29 AM   #32
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gar732 View Post
awesome tank, love the color and diversity. I’m in the process of setting up a macro tank but i’m having a hard time finding the nicer macros. Would you mind sharing your source? I can’t wait to see how the tank progresses.
+1

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/02/2019, 08:57 AM   #33
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Wow, your tank continues to amaze me. Thanks for sharing your pics with us.

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 01/09/2019, 05:58 PM   #34
Kataro
Registered Member

Had a chance to do a few pictures today.

I've since added

- 3 Garden Eels
- Emperor Shrimps + Tiger Tail Cucumber
- 10 Masked Gobies
- 6 Trimma Striatum
- 6 Trimma Caesiura

Unfortunately it seem like the gobies might've been picking on the Parvulus since I've noticed 4-5 disappearing the day after adding the gobies. They've been just eating and schooling just fine before the new additions.

The Macroalgae has been growing amazingly (Though some got burnt by the Radion). The diatom that has been plaguing my tank for the last 1-2 weeks has finally died down and only appear in small quantity now.

Here are a few pictures for now! I will add more later.

Trimma Caesiura

Apogon Parvulus

Garden Eel

Emperor Shrimps / Tiger Tail Cucumber

Maxima Clam

Most Recent FTS!

Unread 01/09/2019, 06:48 PM   #35
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Eye-melting color! Beautiful FTS, especially the purple sea fans! I love the rich variety of reds, and very little greens. This is opposite to my tank of mostly green and a splash of red!

Unread 01/10/2019, 10:24 AM   #36
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Your tank is amazing. That garden eel is very cool. If I ever hit the lotto, I'm building a garden eel biotope tank!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 01/11/2019, 12:21 AM   #37
Kataro
Registered Member

Today I had a chance to do a time lapse of the Sea Apple reacting to Reef Nutrition Phytofeast, along with its new mate.

Last edited by Kataro; 01/11/2019 at 12:27 AM.
Unread 01/22/2019, 07:35 AM   #38
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Cool time lapse, Kataro! It is such a treat, visiting your thread, with great pics of your gorgeous macro tank. But it's much more than that, with a variety of inverts and fish as well. You've really stocked it well! Do you have any more additions planned?

I'm especially impressed with how well overall your tank is doing. Could you tell us more about your setup and methods?

Unread 01/22/2019, 09:40 AM   #39
lifeoffaith
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Cool time lapse, Kataro! It is such a treat, visiting your thread, with great pics of your gorgeous macro tank. But it's much more than that, with a variety of inverts and fish as well. You've really stocked it well! Do you have any more additions planned?

I'm especially impressed with how well overall your tank is doing. Could you tell us more about your setup and methods?
Yes please!

lifeoffaith is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/28/2019, 07:45 PM   #40
socalRW
Registered Member

Wow, what an amazing tank. I first saw your photos of the livestock hanging out in the 10 gallon and was a little concerned as to how it was going to turn out :-P

But it's beautiful! I especially love the purple sea fans and the christmas tree worms.

Where did you get your Xmas tree worms from?

socalRW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/02/2019, 01:01 PM   #41
Kataro
Registered Member

Sorry for the lack of updates! I've been busy and don't have my DSLR right now so I've been neglecting this thread.

Sadly the Garden Eel all died because they wandered into my AI Nero 5, I've been debating about switching to an Mp40 with an Anemone Cover to fix this issue before getting more Garden Eels.

I've added a school of Apogon Leptacanthus (12) to my tank since the last update, along with some Brunn's Cleaner Shrimps. The tank look very busy now when I feed!

I will try to upload a video of the tank later on today once I figure out how to process it!

The tank itself is pretty simple, it's just a Waterbox 130.4 with a Nyos Skimmer for filtration. I've been testing Phosphate / Nitrate and been getting 0.10 or so Phosphate and 0 Nitrate, not sure if its a good thing to have nitrate so low for the Algae.

I've also been doing about 15-20G Water change every 7-10 days and of course I've been upping my feeding due to some of the new NPS (Carnation Corals, Chili Corals, ect). So far everything seem to be in balance and happy now!

Unread 02/02/2019, 03:19 PM   #42
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry for the lack of updates! I've been busy and don't have my DSLR right now so I've been neglecting this thread.

Sadly the Garden Eel all died because they wandered into my AI Nero 5, I've been debating about switching to an Mp40 with an Anemone Cover to fix this issue before getting more Garden Eels.

I've added a school of Apogon Leptacanthus (12) to my tank since the last update, along with some Brunn's Cleaner Shrimps. The tank look very busy now when I feed!

I will try to upload a video of the tank later on today once I figure out how to process it!

The tank itself is pretty simple, it's just a Waterbox 130.4 with a Nyos Skimmer for filtration. I've been testing Phosphate / Nitrate and been getting 0.10 or so Phosphate and 0 Nitrate, not sure if its a good thing to have nitrate so low for the Algae.

I've also been doing about 15-20G Water change every 7-10 days and of course I've been upping my feeding due to some of the new NPS (Carnation Corals, Chili Corals, ect). So far everything seem to be in balance and happy now!
I would try to get detectable nitrates to feed your macro algaes.

Unread 02/04/2019, 12:53 PM   #43
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Bummer about the garden eels. Sorry to hear about their passing. Are you eventually going to try them again?

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/07/2019, 01:14 AM   #44
Kataro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chasmodes View Post
Bummer about the garden eels. Sorry to hear about their passing. Are you eventually going to try them again?
I will try them again, I need to change the Nero to a Mp40 and get those Nem Guard to prevent them from being chopped up.

Unread 02/07/2019, 01:15 AM   #45
Kataro
Registered Member

Finally some pictures!! Sorry for taking such a long time between updates. The tank has been doing really good and growing out very fast, one of my favorite thing about this tank is the strange inverts I've been able to keep. There's always something new to see in there!

I've acquired an Emperor Shrimp recently and it has taken to hosting my Sea Apple! I try to feed this little guy every day with a piece of squid / shrimp.

Another new addition is two Feather Starfish. They've been doing pretty well so far and always come out to feed whenever I put in Reef Roid or Reef Nutrition.

Some little Sea Cucumber, my goal is to have this cliff fill with them!

Carnation Corals

Anemone Crab / Shrimp neighborhood

Distichopora

A very special Nemastoma Algae I recently acquired

Unread 02/07/2019, 06:53 AM   #46
vlangel
Registered Member

You must feed a lot of food to sustain all the different life forms that your tank has. If I might ask, what does your maintenance entail?

Unread 02/07/2019, 07:52 AM   #47
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Amazing, thanks for sharing your pics with us!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 02/07/2019, 10:19 PM   #48
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

An awesome collection of plants and inverts! Great pics!

Unread 02/08/2019, 01:21 AM   #49
Kataro
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlangel View Post
You must feed a lot of food to sustain all the different life forms that your tank has. If I might ask, what does your maintenance entail?
I do try to feed 2-3 times a day, so far this has kept everyone in the tank happy. I did noticed some small growth from my gorgonian, and I saw the emperor shrimp "eating" something that came out of the Sea Apple (Sea apple actually consuming phytoplankton).

I turn off the Return Pump and dose the tank in 3 phase.

I dose about 10-15 drops of Phytofeast and broadcast feed and leave it for about 5-10 minutes, usually this gets all the filter feeder to come out.

Next I try to feed the fishes / shrimps / crabs with a mixture of Reef Nutrition Beta Brine / Arctic Pods / Tigger Pods / R.o.E (alternating each feeding). This also help feed some of the bigger polyp Gorgs.

Finally I dose a mixture of Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast / Roti Feast / Reef Roids. To help feed the finer polyps gorg / other filter feeders.

I've been watching my phosphate / nitrate, and so far I've been stable around 0.19 Phosphate (Hanna checker), and Nitrate reads 0 (Salifert)

Unread 02/08/2019, 06:03 AM   #50
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
I do try to feed 2-3 times a day, so far this has kept everyone in the tank happy. I did noticed some small growth from my gorgonian, and I saw the emperor shrimp "eating" something that came out of the Sea Apple (Sea apple actually consuming phytoplankton).

I turn off the Return Pump and dose the tank in 3 phase.

I dose about 10-15 drops of Phytofeast and broadcast feed and leave it for about 5-10 minutes, usually this gets all the filter feeder to come out.

Next I try to feed the fishes / shrimps / crabs with a mixture of Reef Nutrition Beta Brine / Arctic Pods / Tigger Pods / R.o.E (alternating each feeding). This also help feed some of the bigger polyp Gorgs.

Finally I dose a mixture of Reef Nutrition Oyster Feast / Roti Feast / Reef Roids. To help feed the finer polyps gorg / other filter feeders.

I've been watching my phosphate / nitrate, and so far I've been stable around 0.19 Phosphate (Hanna checker), and Nitrate reads 0 (Salifert)
Wow, that sound great that your nitrates and phosphates are under control. Do you run a skimmer and/or do water changes?