Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 08/07/2014, 07:12 AM   #1
ajespo85
Espo

Keep corals on plugs, or no? What do you do?

So when you guys/gals have some corals on a plug, do you transfer them to live rock? Or leave them on the plug for the corals whole life? Ex. Zoas, is it best to keep them on a plug, or place them on established live rock? Your thougts and advice please

ajespo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/07/2014, 09:51 AM   #2
ViktorVaughn
Registered Member

I always take my corals off the plug regardless of the type. Zoanthids and a lot of Acropora will eventually cover or encrust the plug but I hate the way it looks in that time period.

ViktorVaughn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/08/2014, 03:51 PM   #3
organism
code monkey

If they're already pretty grown onto the plug I tend to leave them there, otherwise I pop them off but to each their own

Unread 08/12/2014, 08:41 PM   #4
theacox
Registered Member

What's the best way to remove them from the plug?

theacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 08:18 AM   #5
ViktorVaughn
Registered Member

For Zoanthids, I just use a scalpel that came with a coral fragging kit. I will just slightly push the tip of the scalpel underneath the rubble and the Zoanthids usually just pop right off. Even if some of the Zoanthids have spread to the frag disc you can usually get them off with minimal effort too, just make sure you get underneath and as close to the disc as possible to minimize any losses. Any similar razor or flat, thin knife will work too. If I am removing an Acropora from a plug I just use bone cutters and clip it right at its base. If the Acropora has already started to encrust the plug than I just leave it be.

Unread 08/13/2014, 10:27 AM   #6
AwwNuts
Registered Member

I've notice that some corals encrust their base alot easier/faster off the plug than on the plug but its a preference. When possible i prefer to remove corals from their plugs if possible. i like the natural look of the coral mounted on the rock than a plug on the rock unless you cover the plug with epoxy.

Current Tank Info: 125 gal Mixed Reef & 100 Gal Reef setup
AwwNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 09:05 PM   #7
theacox
Registered Member

So if we do take them off of the frag plate or plug, how do you get them to stay on the live rock

theacox is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 09:13 PM   #8
trae
DR Octopod

It seems like the guys that do take them off have them in a grow out tank of some sort, or use underwater glue? I would love to see/hear more of what works for them. And why?

What tha Frag!

Current Tank Info: 240gal mixed reef build in the works
trae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 09:34 PM   #9
Its.Evannn
Registered Member

You can use coral glue or some people just use plain old super glue to get them to stick. Not sure if that works but I might try it sometime haha.

Its.Evannn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/13/2014, 09:37 PM   #10
SkullV
They Got My Number

I always take the coral off the plug. I use plain cyanoacrylate gel (superglue brand right now, but whatever is on sale) to glue the frags onto the rocks.

SkullV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2014, 08:01 AM   #11
ViktorVaughn
Registered Member

I have used both superglue gel and the reef epoxy for securing corals but found that when I use both together, it works best. I put a small bead of SG gel where you will be securing coral to rock. You then place enough reef epoxy to cover the bead of gel (depending on size of coral, youll use more or less). After your epoxy is stuck to bead of super glue you apply another, slightly larger bead of super glue on top of the epoxy. Just make sure not to smother the bottom of the coral with epoxy/glue, a little bit really does go a long way. Then just pop it into your tank and push down and twist slightly. The push and twist is to get the bubble that forms around the superglue to pop and stick to the rock and also to work the epoxy in. If mounting at extreme angles where the coral isnt upright, you can generally get away with just holding it in place with light pressure for 1 minute or so. Best method I have found so far for mounting frags and getting them to stay put. I have quite a few heavy Acropora and other coral that are mounted almost sideways and havent had one fall on me yet.

Unread 08/14/2014, 08:18 AM   #12
Reef Bass
colors and textures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViktorVaughn View Post
I have used both superglue gel and the reef epoxy for securing corals but found that when I use both together, it works best.
+1. The epoxy can be used to create a mounting surface to which the glue the frag. Use as much or as little as is necessary. It can be attached to rocks at any angle and can be formed to allow frags to attach at any angle. For frags sticking straight out of the sides of rocks, allow the epoxy to harden some in the desired shape before attaching the frag. Or use a "stick" (acrylic rod, toothbrush, tweezers even) to prop the frag up while the epoxy hardens. Then remove stick.

While it can appear that your freshly mounted frags are sitting on little marshmallows initially, coraline will encrust the epoxy and it will look very natural eventually.

Former president and co-president of the Wine Country Reefers.

Current Tank Info: 60 gallons of Scleractinia and Zoanthidae lit w/ LEDs
Reef Bass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/14/2014, 12:07 PM   #13
Roodler
Registered Member

I leave them on the plug or disk. But again, I have a tendency to drop things. It's more out of necessity than actual preference.

Roodler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/16/2014, 12:46 PM   #14
ThreeMoneyJ
Registered Member

For zoas I like to leave them on the plug and place the plug somewhere in my rockwork. Once the zoas grow off the plug and onto the surrounding rocks I remove the plug with zoas still on it and trade that frag for others that I may want!

Unread 08/16/2014, 02:57 PM   #15
ajespo85
Espo

I'm doing zoas mostly, so that's helpful. i heard they grow faster on rock, but i like to have the option to move them if the current/lighting it too much or not enough for them.

ajespo85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/24/2014, 05:49 PM   #16
wild1
Registered Member

Sorry I hope i'm not hi-jacking this thread, but I was wondering, if I use rock rubble to attach my frags to, do I have to use rocks from my tank or can I use other rock, & does it have to be cycled? Will it throw off my prams? Thanx in advance

wild1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/25/2014, 08:45 AM   #17
edsbeaker
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wild1 View Post
Sorry I hope i'm not hi-jacking this thread, but I was wondering, if I use rock rubble to attach my frags to, do I have to use rocks from my tank or can I use other rock, & does it have to be cycled? Will it throw off my prams? Thanx in advance
I just keep small pieces of dead rock rubble in a box, and glue the coral to that. There should be no issues to your tank parameters.

Unread 02/10/2018, 07:37 PM   #18
ajoe
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roodler View Post
I leave them on the plug or disk. But again, I have a tendency to drop things. It's more out of necessity than actual preference.
plus one. My rock work is full of nice size holes that the plugs nicely wedge right into. I might shave a plug to fit somewhere but just a personal preference. Makes for inserting/securing into the sand bed nice as well. Some corals absolutely look better off the plug and glued onto the rock.
Personal preference.

ajoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 05:52 PM   #19
ZOAKEEPER
Zoa Trainer

Removing from a plug and putting on a piece of rubble is much more aesthetic. Easier in the long run to move around or frag IMO. Those new ceramic plugs and disc are impossible to break or cut up.

Current Tank Info: All empty, all gone, sad...
ZOAKEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/17/2018, 06:48 PM   #20
rvareef
In Memoriam

if you dont quarantine I wouldnt worry about it

rvareef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2018, 07:16 AM   #21
SonoranReefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZOAKEEPER View Post
Removing from a plug and putting on a piece of rubble is much more aesthetic. Easier in the long run to move around or frag IMO. Those new ceramic plugs and disc are impossible to break or cut up.

Look up Reel Reef frag plugs. I think you might like them if you are looking for an alternative to using rubble at some point.

SonoranReefer is offline   Reply With Quote