Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/20/2018, 07:41 AM   #1
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

New tank...New adventure!

Hi guys! I've got a 65gal that's cycled and ready to go! Currently I have 4 Domino Damsels and a small rock with polyps pancake lookin guys.

So my vision is this...Id like to have a Snowflake Eel, Fu Manchu Lion, Marine Betta, Scopus Tang, and a Maroon Clown. I'm open to advice and suggestions. Thank you for your time I look forward to your advice and thoughts.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

xDR3BINx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 07:43 AM   #2
j.falk
Registered Member

I'm curious...what kind of filter are you running with the long tube in the middle of the tank?

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 07:51 AM   #3
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
I'm curious...what kind of filter are you running with the long tube in the middle of the tank?
Fluval 306 canister

Unread 03/20/2018, 08:17 AM   #4
RobZilla04
Registered Member

I can tell you're excited, but prepare for stages of the uglies. Looks like you started with dry base limestone rock. Good stuff, but will leach nutrients. Particularly phosphates. Algae coming!

Curious also, are you going with coral?

Edit: I already see you have some coral. Go slow and let the system mature for several months before adding coral. You'll save the time and headache of losing money, time, and livestock. Consider raising the light a bit too, that's rather low.

Last edited by RobZilla04; 03/20/2018 at 08:19 AM. Reason: Info
RobZilla04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 08:27 AM   #5
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZilla04 View Post
I can tell you're excited, but prepare for stages of the uglies. Looks like you started with dry base limestone rock. Good stuff, but will leach nutrients. Particularly phosphates. Algae coming!

Curious also, are you going with coral?

Edit: I already see you have some coral. Go slow and let the system mature for several months before adding coral. You'll save the time and headache of losing money, time, and livestock. Consider raising the light a bit too, that's rather low.
Thank you for the advice the coral was a free piece from a friend. I did have a spike of brown algae but is been clearing up nicely and the polyps are doing great so far. I've got some good help keeping me from going bananas and jumping to early. So to help tame my eagerness I've decided to share the direction I'd like to go.

Unread 03/20/2018, 09:19 AM   #6
j.falk
Registered Member

I'd recommend some more rock so you get more beneficial bacteria built up to handle the load of the fish you're wanting to keep.

Unread 03/20/2018, 09:22 AM   #7
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.falk View Post
I'd recommend some more rock so you get more beneficial bacteria built up to handle the load of the fish you're wanting to keep.
Definitely will! Thoes are just the best pieces I could get at my LFS adding pieces as I find ones that look nice.

Unread 03/20/2018, 09:24 AM   #8
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDR3BINx View Post
Definitely will! Thoes are just the best pieces I could get at my LFS adding pieces as I find ones that look nice.

Thoes pictures are also a bit out of date I'll add new ones with more rock as soon as I'm home.

Unread 03/20/2018, 09:31 AM   #9
nereefpat
Registered Member

You will want to make sure there is enough room between the glass and the rock pile on the right so you can clean the glass.

You will have to get rid of the domino damsels. They get big and really mean.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
nereefpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 09:44 AM   #10
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
You will want to make sure there is enough room between the glass and the rock pile on the right so you can clean the glass.

You will have to get rid of the domino damsels. They get big and really mean.
Good call on the rock and going into this with the Damsels I was prepared for the eventuality that they would have to go as they got bigger and more jerky.

Unread 03/21/2018, 07:27 AM   #11
j.falk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xDR3BINx View Post

Buy some good quality base rock and put your live rock on top of it...within a few months it will be all live rock. I highly recommend Reefcleaners rock. It's phosphate free and very affordable.

And I second keeping the rock off of your glass. It makes it hard to clean the corner and the rock will put scratches in your glass.

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:32 AM   #12
rdnyva
Registered Member

Good, sound advice above - but nobody is going to address his eventual stocking list?

Vertex Omega 180i Skimmer
ReefBreeders Photon 50 V2
rdnyva is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 09:50 AM   #13
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

All the rocks sand ect a side. How do you guys feel about my proposed tank mates? Also the order in witch I introduce them?

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:51 AM   #14
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdnyva View Post
Good, sound advice above - but nobody is going to address his eventual stocking list?
I figured it was a matter of time before someone would offer advice on it I'm in no hurry. But thank you for bringing it up.

Unread 03/21/2018, 09:58 AM   #15
nereefpat
Registered Member

Quote:
Sure. It's an interesting stocklist. The tang will have to go, unfortunately.

The tank would meet the requirements for the others, but I see some problems. Maroon clowns are pretty aggressive. The others, although peaceful, will have a big bioload, especially the eel.

A 65 gallon with a snowflake eel, lion, and marine betta could turn into water quality problems...unless you add on a sump/fuge with a big skimmer or even a remote deep sand bed.

Current Tank Info: 125 in-wall , 40b sump. 6 bulb T5. ASM G2 skimmer. LPS and leathers
Unread 03/21/2018, 10:15 AM   #16
rdnyva
Registered Member

The stock list was the first thing I noticed. Those are all large, aggressive fish. IMO none of them should go in a 65 gal tank, nevermind all of them together. Besides a huge bioload it will be a free for all. You will be setting yourself up for failure and will wind up not enjoying your tank.

I suggest you reconsider that wish list or get a bigger tank. Go slow and research in whatever you do. Good luck!

Unread 03/21/2018, 10:18 AM   #17
Hydrus
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nereefpat View Post
Sure. It's an interesting stocklist. The tang will have to go, unfortunately.

The tank would meet the requirements for the others, but I see some problems. Maroon clowns are pretty aggressive. The others, although peaceful, will have a big bioload, especially the eel.

A 65 gallon with a snowflake eel, lion, and marine betta could turn into water quality problems...unless you add on a sump/fuge with a big skimmer or even a remote deep sand bed.
I believe the size skimmer he has on the side is for a 125 gallon - I bet that would help with the bioload, don't you think? And of course keeping up with regular water changes, may 20% instead of 10%?

I'm trying to think of another clown that would get large enough to not be eaten by the lion. I know Clarkii's get bigger but they are also jerks. If he did go with the Maroon, maybe add him last to help with the aggression?

As far as to what to add in first, I'm not sure - I'm thinking maybe the marine betta? I'm just guessing tho.

Oh, and nereefpat, what would you think he would need to give up off his current list if he wanted to keep the tang? Just trying to offer him suggestions and alternatives

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 10:57 AM   #18
nereefpat
Registered Member

The tank isn't big enough for the tang. So that answer is simple.

I think the others are a bit complicated. Like I said, I think the 65 meets the minimum tank size requirements for the other fish, and I don't see compatibility issues. You just may have some bioload issues, especially for the 24-30" eel. And maroon/clarkia clowns can be really nasty.

Unread 03/21/2018, 12:23 PM   #19
rdnyva
Registered Member

How would you keep a snowflake in an open top tank?

He posted in the New to the Hobby forum, just joined RC this month and has 9 posts. I think as experienced hobbyists we should be guiding him away from this difficult combination of fish. With that bioload, even with an oversized skimmer and if he keeps up with pita large water changes he will have plentry of nuisance algae. Maybe enough to drive him away.

Instead we should be encouraging him to choose fish that will lead to success, which will allow him to enjoy the hobby.

XDR think about these fish and do some research on them:

Yellow or Flame Tomini Tang
Royal Gramma
Occelaris or Percula clowns
Flame Hawkfish
One of the smaller wrasses

There are others to consider.

Last edited by rdnyva; 03/21/2018 at 12:35 PM.
Unread 03/21/2018, 12:28 PM   #20
Hydrus
Registered Member

Quote:
How would you keep a snowflake in an open top tank?
You can buy those screen kits from BRS

Hydrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 12:50 PM   #21
xDR3BINx
Registered Member

I've done my fair share of research on my list. I've seen it go both ways on the list that I have. I am VERY green in the ways of Marine tanks but I also have lots of good reliable help with LOTS of years under their belts. I really really appreciate the comments coming in and I'd love to hear more as they come in. The screen I have already looked into and know that it's a must for keeping the Eel.