Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/17/2011, 09:46 AM   #1
jjmill1980
Registered Member

56 Gallon Column Build, Movin on UP

I just acquired a 56 gallon Column set up and I am looking for some guidance and expertise as I set everything up.

I have had a 14 Gallon Biocube for 3 years now and have been itching for more. A few months back I picked up a 135 Gallon setup for dirt cheap. I was never able to set it up as after I got everything home I realized I really didn't have the real estate for it. I ended up selling most everything off

So last Friday my wife calls me at work and tells me she found a craigslist add for free corals. The lady was getting rid of all her livestock and just wanted it to go to a good home (wait it gets better). So, I make the hour drive to go pick up everything expecting everything to be in bad shape. Her reef was spotless (wait it gets even better). So I get to talking to her about why she is getting rid of everything and I ask her what she is doing with her tank..... (long dramatic pause) and she says she is getting rid of it and that I can have it

So yesterday I went and picked up all the hardware, lights, skimmer(s), ... everything. All for notta

So now I am antzy to get everything set up as all of the livestock is crammed into my 14 gallon BioCube.

My first task is to build a stand hopefully I can manage to get the skellaton built this week. I was hoping to drill the tank and put in a sump. Since the bottom is off limits I am looking to build an overflow like Flippers4pups has on his 56 gallon column. Anyone with suggestions on drain and return setup please reply.

Wish me luck and please feel free to offer any opinions and suggestions as this is my 1st attempt at a non AIO.

jjmill1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2011, 10:30 AM   #2
Fishdisease
Registered Member

That sounds like a dream add! Congrats on the find and good luck with the tank.

Current Tank Info: I've got an empty 180 in my basement...and the build has begun! Check out my thread.
Fishdisease is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2011, 03:39 PM   #3
jjmill1980
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishdisease View Post
That sounds like a dream add! Congrats on the find and good luck with the tank.
Yeah, thanks. I about hit the floor when she said I could have everything. I wanted to load it all up immediately before she changed her mind.

Unread 05/17/2011, 09:31 PM   #4
jjmill1980
Registered Member

So I am feeling a bit like this

I need to get started on so many things I can't get any where. So I need some help.

Dimensions for a stand - I will be building this out of 2x4s and then will put a skin on it to make it look nice. This is a tall tank so I want to keep the stand as short as possible. However, I don't want the sump area to be a PITA because I didn't leave enough room. The sump I am planning to use is 24W x 14T x 12D. I have a RemoraC Skimmer that is going to hang on the side as well so I figure I need about 24" of height inside the cabinet. This would put my overall height around 28". Putting the top of the tank at 52", which is actually about the height of my armpit. Suggestions?

Here are some pics of the new equipment:

From The beginning
From The beginning
From The beginning
From The beginning
From The beginning

And the old equipment that I didn't get around to selling off:

From The beginning

From The beginning

Does anyone recognize this skimmer? What do I need to make it work?

Unread 05/17/2011, 10:37 PM   #5
Kyleben
Registered Member

Ive got the same tank been working on it for about 6 months now
I didnt drill mine and im glad I didnt...the overflows take up 3 times as much room and my 1000 gph cpr overflow plus its easy to take off and clean. My skimmer is in my sump along with a buch of macro alge, 25 lbs of LS and tons and tons of pods.

Kyleben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/17/2011, 10:40 PM   #6
Kyleben
Registered Member

this might give you some ideas

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...how+me+your+56

Unread 05/17/2011, 11:15 PM   #7
dzfish17
Registered Member

We call that a "come-up". Those kind of deals dont happen that often. Good job.

Unread 05/18/2011, 09:23 AM   #8
jjmill1980
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleben View Post
Ive got the same tank been working on it for about 6 months now
I didnt drill mine and im glad I didnt...the overflows take up 3 times as much room and my 1000 gph cpr overflow plus its easy to take off and clean. My skimmer is in my sump along with a buch of macro alge, 25 lbs of LS and tons and tons of pods.
That is a beautiful tank. I like the arch. I want an overflow because I don't want the tank to stick out from the wall. I would have preferred to drill the bottom, but since it is tempered that wasn't possible. I even called a bunch of granite places to see if they could cut holes with their water jets.

Unread 05/18/2011, 10:46 AM   #9
Kyleben
Registered Member

Ive seen people cut tempered glass but its just too much of a risk for me...ask the DIY guys if youre hellbent on trying it. My overflow doesn't stand out, and barely takes out any room and my return is just a small piece of PVC.

aquascaping this tank is a pain!!! ive been through about 5 or 6 rock formations thus far....its better now but im still not 100% happy

Unread 05/24/2011, 06:49 AM   #10
jjmill1980
Registered Member

Does it make a difference if the skimmer is placed in the drain side of the sump or in the return side? I wanted to put my skimmer in the return side but there is not enough space. I can modify the sump if it makes a big difference. What should I do?

Unread 05/24/2011, 06:53 AM   #11
Kyleben
Registered Member

Mine is in the first chamber because I have a macro alge and LS in the second chamber. if you put the skimmer after this then you lose all youre pods and other benefits from the fuge

Unread 05/26/2011, 04:49 PM   #12
jjmill1980
Registered Member

So I think I have my sump layout figured out. Here is a picture of my plan.

From Sump Pics

Please give me some input/feedback. Is the fuge, DSB, and ATS too much?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyleben View Post
Mine is in the first chamber because I have a macro alge and LS in the second chamber. if you put the skimmer after this then you lose all youre pods and other benefits from the fuge
Kyleben, thanks for the input. I would have liked to get the skimmer into the first section, however, since I am working with an existing sump I wanted to keep the divisions as is.

Unread 06/03/2011, 01:44 AM   #13
jjmill1980
Registered Member

I have made some progress!

Here is the skeleton of the stand:

From Overflow & Tank

It is going to be tight to get everything to fit.

Last night I built the overflow and drilled the tank:
From Overflow & Tank

Tonight it was time to paint:
From Overflow & Tank
From Overflow & Tank

From Overflow & Tank

I have updated the sump layout. After further consideration I scrapped the ATS and DSB. Any input here would be greatly appreciated. I posted my layout on a different thread and someone mentioned I didn't need all of the baffles. What about bubbles getting back into the display?

From Sump Pics

Unread 06/05/2011, 12:06 PM   #14
Kyleben
Registered Member

nice! get some water and rock in it and lets see how it works

Unread 06/05/2011, 12:57 PM   #15
socal86
Registered Member

nice i will be keeping an eye out for updates to follow the build

Current Tank Info: 50 gal BF
socal86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/06/2011, 12:16 PM   #16
jjmill1980
Registered Member

I am desperatley trying to get things moving on this. To make the progress that I have so far I had to pull some late nights after the fam went to sleep.

So I was against trying to modify the sump I am using, which is actually an AMiracle Wet/Dry filter. That is until I got carried away with an oscillating multi-function tool I borrowed (I think these tools started out as infomercial tools, the one I used was from Harbor Freight). I meant to cut a few of the supports out that held up the filter trays. With that tool I was able to cut these plexi-glass tabs off without damaging the plexi-glass it was attached to. So I got brave and cut out the large dividers that I had been trying to work around. Now I have a clean slate to put things, such as the skimmer where they should be.

Here is my latest attempt at a sump design, please give me some feedback since I can easily move things around now:

From Sump Pics

Tags
56 gallon column, build, build thread, newbie help, newbie questions