Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2006, 10:50 AM   #1
waterloomarc
Premium Member

Can I have an in-tank Sump?

(I posted this in the nano-tank section but started thinking it would be better suited here, sorry for the double post.)

Okay so here is my latest scheme. Quick rundown is that I only have a 32" wall space for a tank between to sets of french doors to set up my tank. This limits me to a tank of 30"L or less. I like the concept of the nanocubes and pods but think they're a little small plus aesthetically I'm just not all that fond of the curved corners.

So here is what I'm leaning towards:

Getting a 37g Oceanic tank (24.5x18.5x21D") and partioning off the back 4" or so to create a quasi in tank sump area much like an actual nanocube. My motivation being to hide heaters, pumps, and hopefully a skimmer. I'm thinking I could further section off the 'sump' area to allow for a constant water level in the skimmer area and possibly a small refugium.

Does this idea sound feasible? Obviously it will need much refinement if I'm to do it but I would like to get your input before I spend too much time on it if it turns out to be an instant no.

Thanks for your help and input.

-Marc

waterloomarc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2006, 11:08 AM   #2
jthnhale
Premium Member

As long as you have enough room to get to the equipment it should work fine.

I've planned out a larger tank like this in order to save as much as possible on the e-bill.
Our rates keep going up in the north east

my motivation was to eliminate the large return pump running 24/7.

It just takes thinking about the tank differently, you loose display space, but if you can get past that it a great idea.

jthnhale is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2006, 03:17 AM   #3
NCreefwannabe
Registered Member

its basically he same idea as a hang on refugium. Nothing outragous to do, but yes it will cause you to loose alot of intank space, unless your having one custom made this way.

I had thought about doing this, but Im just getting a hangon refugium instead. Should end up being cheaper and just as effecient. Only downside is you not going to really hide anything in there lol.

NCreefwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2006, 05:45 AM   #4
ilango
Registered Member

Check out my post in this section is that what you are looking for???

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh...5&pagenumber=1

ilango is offline   Reply With Quote