Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > More Forums > Reef Club Forums > West Region-Reef Club Forums > Big Country Reef Society (BCRS)
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 05/14/2013, 12:43 PM   #1
joshlawless
Registered Member

Hello! (echo echo)

Wow, this is one empty forum. I can see moving to Idaho will put a real crimp in frag trading and group buy opportunities. Anyone else in the Boise area (or, let's be realistic, within 100 miles of Boise) check this forum?

joshlawless is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2013, 12:12 PM   #2
fairladyZ
Registered Member

new to the hobby but learning and building, i'm in meridian. Where'd you move from?

fairladyZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/25/2013, 03:01 PM   #3
toky916
Registered Member

U could all ways plant some patatos in the tank grow with halides

toky916 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/26/2013, 10:28 PM   #4
joshlawless
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
new to the hobby but learning and building, i'm in meridian. Where'd you move from?
Southern California. Need to put some ocean in a box to make up for what I left behind. :-)

Unread 05/27/2013, 10:21 AM   #5
fairladyZ
Registered Member

I'm a native, i'm learning we dont' have much here but what we do have is exciting to me!

what kind of setup do you have?
I'm just over 2months in on a 90 gallon i'm setting up to be a mixed reef. Do you go on the idaho marine forum? i've lurked on there but it's pretty slow.

Unread 05/27/2013, 01:22 PM   #6
joshlawless
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairladyZ View Post
I'm a native, i'm learning we dont' have much here but what we do have is exciting to me!

what kind of setup do you have?
I'm just over 2months in on a 90 gallon i'm setting up to be a mixed reef. Do you go on the idaho marine forum? i've lurked on there but it's pretty slow.
I'm still putting together my shopping list. I've finally gotten quotes from enough tank makers to make a decision, though. I'll be going for ~400 gallons w/ a mixed reef full of peaceful fish. It's been a long time since I had a tank, and I've been ramping up my expectations with every year of delay. :-D

I lurked on the Idaho forum as well, hoping to stumble across someone selling exactly what I want, used, locally, for cheap. Like you say, though, there's not a lot of volume in the reef scene here. :-D

Unread 05/27/2013, 06:21 PM   #7
fairladyZ
Registered Member

Ya i already wish i would have went bigger than the 90 but i figure i'll give it a year then upgrade aslong as everything goes good. What kind of equipment are you looking for? Have you been to any of the local stores?

I was hoping to find some good deals local to but haven't been able to so everything i've had to get i just order online or have a LFS get it for me

Unread 05/27/2013, 06:39 PM   #8
IdahoCindy
Registered Member

Hailey, ID here. Currently have a 55 but setting up a 125. Was ripped off by a guy selling a 220 on Craigslist. Turned out it had a leak - well known by the LFS guy. I'm sooo glad Bill knew the tank and told me before I put water in it!

IdahoCindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/05/2013, 12:57 PM   #9
ladysabertooth
Registered Member

hello there will be moving to Clarkston, Wa in about 8 months just looking around for any local reefers in either state. Working on getting my 12 gal nano together but since I will be moving not going to set up unit I have moved.

ladysabertooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2013, 07:37 PM   #10
brvheart
Registered Member

HELLLLOOOOO!!!!

I'm in Boise.. I've been here a couple years. I've been so disgruntled about the lack of a strong reef community and great local LFS's, that I haven't even bothered to set up a tank again. I've been pretty spoiled in the past living in the SF Bay area and Seattle. But I've got the bug again, and have decided to keep an open mind and make the best of what we have. Between the 3 local stores, you can find a decent variety of livestock.

I would love to reach out and see what kind of community we have here in Boise and the surrounding areas. I've learned there is A LOT of benefit from a strong community of reefers.
Why don't we brainstorm a bit and try to figure out how to reach out and see what type of reef community we have??

-Brandon

brvheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/14/2013, 10:48 PM   #11
joshlawless
Registered Member

Brandon - sounds good to me. The only other avenue I'm aware of is through the Idaho Marine Aquarium Society (idahoreefs.org), but that website is about as slow as this sub-forum. I was spoiled living in San Diego, able to get as much free filtered salt water as I wanted from the Scripps Institute of Oceanography pier, so I feel your pain.

Unread 06/16/2013, 02:21 PM   #12
fairladyZ
Registered Member

I'm still new and in the short time i've been researching it seems as though there are quite a few people that have really nice setups but don't really talk about them much, they are more for their personal enjoyment.

What LFS have you guys been going to? I know the idaho marine aquarium society tries to hold quarterly meets but they've been having issues getting them setup so i'm not sure whats going on there.

Unread 06/19/2013, 02:16 PM   #13
joshlawless
Registered Member

Well, I just put a deposit down on my tank, so hopefully I'll be one of the people with really nice setups soon!

For those folks who are close to me (e.g., fairladyZ, brvheart) -- let me know if you ever have any interest in splitting shipments (and sharing shipping charges) for any online purchases from LiveAquaria or the other livestock vendors. It's going to take me a while to stock up the tank, so I'll probably be making pretty regular purchases for a while.

Unread 06/19/2013, 03:23 PM   #14
brvheart
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshlawless View Post
Well, I just put a deposit down on my tank, so hopefully I'll be one of the people with really nice setups soon!

For those folks who are close to me (e.g., fairladyZ, brvheart) -- let me know if you ever have any interest in splitting shipments (and sharing shipping charges) for any online purchases from LiveAquaria or the other livestock vendors. It's going to take me a while to stock up the tank, so I'll probably be making pretty regular purchases for a while.
Excellent! I'm in a fairly similar situation. I am just in the process of getting my tank up and running. I've been working on the stand for the last few days and now have that finished up. I'm cleaning up the tank today and will have it up and running within the next week or so. So in other words, I will also be stocking my tank for awhile, and will definitely be interested in going in on some livestock purchases. I'm planning on getting my rock from Corals4Cheap in Eagle. Has anybody found a better alternative? What size tank did you order Josh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairladyZ
What LFS have you guys been going to? I know the idaho marine aquarium society tries to hold quarterly meets but they've been having issues getting them setup so i'm not sure whats going on there.
I haven't dealt with the LFS's here enough to have a big time preference. Since I'm just now setting up my tank after 4 years of living here, I'm sure I will gain some opinions once I actually start spending money in the stores. None of them seem amazing, none of them seem horrendous. I didn't even know about Corals4Cheap in Eagle til a few weeks ago. I stopped in there and chatted with the owner. He was rather direct with me regarding his approach to their business - buy for cheap, and sell cheap, and move stuff as quickly as possibly. It sounded bad coming out of his mouth, but I think I get it. And in all fairness, I think most stores have this philosophy, they just don't say it quite that way. Petco could most definitely say that. Without getting too much into my disgust for them, I will say that I will not walk into a Petco due to their "sell'em before they die in our tanks" philosophy regarding saltwater fish. The owner at Corals4Cheap has the knowledge and ability to keep the livestock alive. That's the difference. Their place is a bit ghetto in there, but oh well. Strangely enough, my favorite kind of LFS is one that has an industrial sort of feel with tons of livestock and only sell saltwater stuff. So I feel oddly comfortable with the setup at that place. The owner also laid out his opinions on the other LFS's in the valley and their owners; which was interesting, considering I wasn't asking for his opinion, LOL.

Anyways, my plan once I'm up and running will be to take a little driving tour of the 3 stores around Boise when I'm looking for livestock. That way I'll get the maximum exposure to what's available locally. None of the stores seem to be great sources of equipment since I'm pretty fanatical about bargain shopping. That stuff will be ordered online.

Good to hear about potential quarterly meetings. I'll be listening up for those.

Unread 06/19/2013, 03:26 PM   #15
brvheart
Registered Member

By the way, I just took apart my nano hood and gutted the electronics. If anybody has any need for any Power Compact lighting, let me know. I have (2) 32w PC ballasts and sockets available. Basically a 64w retrofit. If anybody around Boise wants them, they can have 'em. I thought about using them for actinic supplement, but I don't think I will.

Unread 06/19/2013, 03:36 PM   #16
joshlawless
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brvheart View Post
What size tank did you order Josh?
Somewhere in the ballpark of 375 gallons. Still ironing out the final dimensions with the builders, but generally speaking, it'll be 72Lx30-33Dx36-40T.

Unread 06/19/2013, 08:16 PM   #17
brvheart
Registered Member

Holy cow! That's a big tank! Are they building you a stand too?

Unread 06/19/2013, 09:05 PM   #18
joshlawless
Registered Member

They are. I can't wait! What a project it's going to be. Time to get in the crawlspace and put in some footings!

Unread 06/19/2013, 09:58 PM   #19
fairladyZ
Registered Member

that is a huge tank! i had been thinking about giving this 90 gallon a year and then upgrading and i wanted a 300+ but now i think i'm going to scale it back to about a 240 when i do upgrade.

as far as LFS go, I purchesed my tank setup from fish aquariums & stuff and talk alot with travis the owners son. he helped me out alot at first. I would go into aquatic supply here and there just to look around and they had some nice corals and were way nice but just never could bring myself to purchase anything.

Came across corals4cheap and talked to the owner for awhile and he's helped me out a ton, he can get pretty much anything i need and will go out of his way to help me out with whatever i need. So i've been pretty much going there for everything i need, he doesn't keep much of any equipment at the store but he can get most things that i do need. when i do stock up i'll probably get alot of it from him as far as corals and fish.

Unread 07/05/2013, 09:35 AM   #20
brvheart
Registered Member

Does anybody need a few pieces of live rock? (FREE)
I bought some premium Fiji rock and based my purchase on weight; but the rock is so light and porous, I have too much. Thought I would see if anybody needs a few pieces for their sump or something. Probably 3 or 4 pieces of orange/grapefruit size rock.

I'm in Boise

Unread 07/15/2013, 01:08 PM   #21
Fresh2Reef
Registered Member

I agree it is slow here.......

Fresh2Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/18/2013, 12:12 PM   #22
brvheart
Registered Member

Anybody close to wanting to get in on a livestock order??

Quote:
Somewhere in the ballpark of 375 gallons. Still ironing out the final dimensions with the builders, but generally speaking, it'll be 72Lx30-33Dx36-40T.
How are things coming? Did you get your tank or start on your LED project??

I just finished up my LED build last night. Pretty fun and glad I DIY'd.

Unread 07/18/2013, 04:31 PM   #23
joshlawless
Registered Member

Quote:
Anybody close to wanting to get in on a livestock order??

How are things coming? Did you get your tank or start on your LED project??

I just finished up my LED build last night. Pretty fun and glad I DIY'd.
Every week or so, I email My Reef Creations to ask the status of my build. For several weeks, the answer has been "we've ordered the glass". :-/

I've got all the components for my LED build except for the heatsinks, due to arrive tomorrow. I had ordered them from LEDsupply.com, but then I got an email after the purchase demanding that I pay $50 more in shipping, so I had to cancel that order and place a new one with the only other vendor selling them (whose name is apparently forbidden on these forums).

Unread 07/18/2013, 11:55 PM   #24
brvheart
Registered Member

Quote:
Every week or so, I email My Reef Creations to ask the status of my build. For several weeks, the answer has been "we've ordered the glass". :-/

I've got all the components for my LED build except for the heatsinks, due to arrive tomorrow. I had ordered them from LEDsupply.com, but then I got an email after the purchase demanding that I pay $50 more in shipping, so I had to cancel that order and place a new one with the only other vendor selling them (whose name is apparently forbidden on these forums).
Wow. That sounds very frustrating. I can't even imagine waiting on a tank being built for me on someone else's schedule.

Yeah I just received build supplies and a moonlight from the site who's name we do not speak of. Their products and service have been great. I had to split my order between them and reefledlights.com to get all the colors and items I needed.

Hey by the way, you mentioned heatsinks. I found a great local resource for aluminum. As I recall from your LED build thread though I think you were planning for rectangular pattern heatsinks. Don't know if they would be of help with that.

Unread 07/19/2013, 08:39 AM   #25
joshlawless
Registered Member

Quote:
Hey by the way, you mentioned heatsinks. I found a great local resource for aluminum. As I recall from your LED build thread though I think you were planning for rectangular pattern heatsinks. Don't know if they would be of help with that.
UPS is supposed to bring my MakersLED sinks today, but if something goes wrong with this order from the store-that-shall-not-be-named, I'll assume I just wasn't meant to use the MakersLED model, and would be happy to get that info from you.