Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Fish Disease Treatment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2019, 11:33 PM   #1
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Urgent: Black Storm Clowns are dying - HELP!!!

So I got the storm clowns about a week ago and they seem to be doing fine till today they were still a little active but not as much. I didn't think much of it and just 9pm today, one started to breathing heavily and laid on its side. I quickly scoop it up with the fish swimming away from the net a bit but caught it before it ran into the rock works. I visually examine them and see that one had something on its bottom lip while the 2nd one had its under belly inflated. (see photos below) I quickly mixed up some tank water and Iodine together and did a 10-15min dip on the fish. Their in the sump now with low flow but are on their sides. I hope they make it over night. Can someone give me some suggestions on where to go with these guys at this point my heads running in circle trying to figure out how to keep them alive.

no sure what's causing them to act this way. My tanks and other fish in the tank seem to be doing just fine.

Fish #1: Something is on its bottom chin...

Fish #2: Inflated belly...

Bryanmc1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2019, 11:55 PM   #2
charlie_Fish
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryanmc1988 View Post
So I got the storm clowns about a week ago and they seem to be doing fine till today they were still a little active but not as much. I didn't think much of it and just 9pm today, one started to breathing heavily and laid on its side. I quickly scoop it up with the fish swimming away from the net a bit but caught it before it ran into the rock works. I visually examine them and see that one had something on its bottom lip while the 2nd one had its under belly inflated. (see photos below) I quickly mixed up some tank water and Iodine together and did a 10-15min dip on the fish. Their in the sump now with low flow but are on their sides. I hope they make it over night. Can someone give me some suggestions on where to go with these guys at this point my heads running in circle trying to figure out how to keep them alive.

no sure what's causing them to act this way. My tanks and other fish in the tank seem to be doing just fine.

Fish #1: Something is on its bottom chin...

Fish #2: Inflated belly...

Sorry to hear but I'd like to tag along as I experienced something similar

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

charlie_Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 12:15 AM   #3
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Their not doing to good ATM, one is starting to pale out which is never a good sign. I took them out of the sump and placed them into a tub with the tank water, a heater, and a bubbler. I also added a few drops of Prazipro in case it was something internal. Crossing my figures that they make it over night.

Unread 02/20/2019, 12:22 AM   #4
charlie_Fish
Registered Member

Quote:
Their not doing to good ATM, one is starting to pale out which is never a good sign. I took them out of the sump and placed them into a tub with the tank water, a heater, and a bubbler. I also added a few drops of Prazipro in case it was something internal. Crossing my figures that they make it over night.
Hopefully a experienced reefer chimes in before it's too late. If you don't mind how much was the pair? I've been eyeing the storm variety for a while

Unread 02/20/2019, 12:43 AM   #5
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

They are $300 for the pair price on them has gone down to $150 each.

Unread 02/20/2019, 09:47 AM   #6
charlie_Fish
Registered Member

Quote:
They are $300 for the pair price on them has gone down to $150 each.
Good morning how'd it go?

Unread 02/20/2019, 09:58 AM   #7
HumbleFish
Moved On

Looks like an infection they will sometimes get. Combining Kanaplex + Metroplex for 10-14 days usually clears it up.

HumbleFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2019, 10:04 AM   #8
Bryanmc1988
Registered Member

Unfortunately they did not make it overnight, both storms passed away this morning

Due to these events lately, it’s got me on the edge of putting this hobby on hold and parting everything out. Spent A LOT of money over the years with this tank and I understand that it’s part of the hobby but it’s money I really don’t have at the moment and I believe that money could have gone a long way with helping my family with their own situations. I’m at that 1% step to putting my hands up and walking away. I hate having to see animals die and we can’t do nothing about it, we try to figure things out and correct them but in the end it’s always a small percentage that actually make a good turn around.

Last edited by Bryanmc1988; 02/20/2019 at 10:13 AM.
Unread 02/20/2019, 01:58 PM   #9
charlie_Fish
Registered Member

Quote:
Unfortunately they did not make it overnight, both storms passed away this morning

Due to these events lately, it’s got me on the edge of putting this hobby on hold and parting everything out. Spent A LOT of money over the years with this tank and I understand that it’s part of the hobby but it’s money I really don’t have at the moment and I believe that money could have gone a long way with helping my family with their own situations. I’m at that 1% step to putting my hands up and walking away. I hate having to see animals die and we can’t do nothing about it, we try to figure things out and correct them but in the end it’s always a small percentage that actually make a good turn around.
Amen to that! That's how I felt when I lost all my fishes to velvet. I gave it another shot and so far so good.

Unread 02/21/2019, 09:36 PM   #10
Reefable
Registered Member

Urgent: Black Storm Clowns are dying - HELP!!!

Quote:

One of my storms (male) suffered a similar fate couple of months ago. I added the pair in October and they were doing great until they started developing white cotton or lympho. Female got it first than it spread to male. Female pulled it through but male didn't...now my tank is 5 months old and I added another male yesterday to go with female... hoping the pair does well....I know how I feel but don't give up you have already invested so much just wait it out....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reefable is offline   Reply With Quote