Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/24/2014, 06:15 AM   #2726
PeterBel
Registered Member

For lighting, i really like what taphil have done by incorporating the Ecotech Radion Pro into his hood. Unfortunately, his tank apparently crashed because of a bad heater. But take a look at his thread, at the time, he seemed to have a lot of success with that setup.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2287628

That will probably be my next step, i just wish i had not spent $490 on a Steve Led retrofit that i don't like!

120G shallow Build in Progress...

Current Tank Info: 100G, MarsAqua 165W x 2 Led, DCT-8000 Return, Curve 7 Bubble Magus Skimmer, Low Profile Overflow, Custom sump, BRS Reactors, Full APEX, Salt Station, ATO, Auto-water change, Kalc reactor, etc...
PeterBel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/27/2014, 02:48 PM   #2727
sgdcover
Registered Member

Resistor for JBJ Intermediate Moonlights?

Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. A resistor wired between the positive and negative wires for my moonlights burned out. I can't figure out its specs because the colors are burned out. I even called JBJ but they didn't know, which is kind of crazy.

Problem is that since it burned out, I can't see all the colors to find a replacement. I took some pictures that hopefully helps.

28gal LED JBJ nanocube intermediate.

Thanks!

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4937.jpg (27.5 KB, 40 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4935.jpg (30.9 KB, 35 views)
sgdcover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/28/2014, 06:26 AM   #2728
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sgdcover View Post
Hi,

Wondering if anyone has any experience with this. A resistor wired between the positive and negative wires for my moonlights burned out. I can't figure out its specs because the colors are burned out. I even called JBJ but they didn't know, which is kind of crazy.

Problem is that since it burned out, I can't see all the colors to find a replacement. I took some pictures that hopefully helps.

28gal LED JBJ nanocube intermediate.

Thanks!
Hi,

the resistor is 5.1 Ohms 1%, Green / Brown / Black / Silver / Brown.

Lucky i had it in my parts as i upgraded my Led last august

Current Tank Info: 100G, MarsAqua 165W x 2 Led, DCT-8000 Return, Curve 7 Bubble Magus Skimmer, Low Profile Overflow, Custom sump, BRS Reactors, Full APEX, Salt Station, ATO, Auto-water change, Kalc reactor, etc...
Unread 10/28/2014, 06:05 PM   #2729
sgdcover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBel View Post
Hi,

the resistor is 5.1 Ohms 1%, Green / Brown / Black / Silver / Brown.

Lucky i had it in my parts as i upgraded my Led last august
Thanks so much. I can't believe its like pulling teeth to get these details from them. Found out today that only their factory in China has the specs.

Thanks again!

Unread 10/29/2014, 08:03 AM   #2730
sgdcover
Registered Member

Quote:
Thanks so much. I can't believe its like pulling teeth to get these details from them. Found out today that only their factory in China has the specs.

Thanks again!
Tried to PM you but I haven't posted enough to do so.... I'm usually on Manhattan Reefs.

You helped me out with the resistor for my JBJ nano 28g. You mentioned that it was a leftover part from a mod you did. Thanks again for that!

I can't find the thing anywhere. Once I cleared it up with JBJ, they can only send me the entire board, and even then I still don't trust that the resistor will be part of it.

Would you be willing to sell me the left over you have?

I'll pay for shipping too of course.

Unread 10/29/2014, 08:40 AM   #2731
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Tried to PM you but I haven't posted enough to do so.... I'm usually on Manhattan Reefs.

You helped me out with the resistor for my JBJ nano 28g. You mentioned that it was a leftover part from a mod you did. Thanks again for that!

I can't find the thing anywhere. Once I cleared it up with JBJ, they can only send me the entire board, and even then I still don't trust that the resistor will be part of it.

Would you be willing to sell me the left over you have?

I'll pay for shipping too of course.
See this link: http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/1197...l-Film-1W.html

That is the resistor you need :-)

Unread 10/30/2014, 07:38 AM   #2732
sgdcover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterBel View Post
See this link: http://www.pchub.com/uph/laptop/1197...l-Film-1W.html

That is the resistor you need :-)
You are awesome. THANK YOU!!!

Unread 10/30/2014, 04:38 PM   #2733
ange062
Registered Member

Quote:
You are awesome. THANK YOU!!!
You can also find hundreds of different ones on mouser.com or digikey.com.

29g AGA Planted FW
ange062 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/31/2014, 01:45 AM   #2734
sgdcover
Registered Member

I searched primarily on mouser and digikey, tried eBay and Amazon too. I probably used the wrong search terms.

Unread 11/11/2014, 12:29 PM   #2735
d9sccr
Premium Member

I haven't been able to find anything on this yet, but half of my light went out this week and I don't know why. Any help you guys can offer would be great. The light is 4-5 years old and I'm just wondering if half of it went bad or what.

Current Tank Info: 30g w/ 2 picassos
d9sccr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/11/2014, 03:54 PM   #2736
sgdcover
Registered Member

In my case, one light had gone out (either the bulb or the connectors). That shut down all of them. Are all your lights running on the same power supply?

You can check that there is current first from start to finish, make sure it's not the driver. Second, check each bulb, one by one, to ensure power is getting through. If any of them are out they'll break it.

Unread 11/13/2014, 02:17 PM   #2737
sgdcover
Registered Member

Quote:
In my case, one light had gone out (either the bulb or the connectors). That shut down all of them. Are all your lights running on the same power supply?

You can check that there is current first from start to finish, make sure it's not the driver. Second, check each bulb, one by one, to ensure power is getting through. If any of them are out they'll break it.
Any luck?

Unread 11/13/2014, 04:03 PM   #2738
d9sccr
Premium Member

I haven't had time yet this week to try anything but will hopefully be able to tomorrow or Saturday. I'm not sure how to go about all of that. I emailed JBJ and they seem to think it may be a ballast issue. Hope to know more by the weekend.

Thanks for your help

Current Tank Info: 30g w/ 2 picassos
d9sccr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 09:25 AM   #2739
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

I've got a question for anyone using Steve's LED mod for NC28 -

What is your mix on the actinic & white LEDs?

I have the 96W DIY kit from Steve's - I'm running the white LEDs at 30%, and the Actinic LEDs at 35%. The actinics come on at 6am, and ramp up for 90 minutes. The whites come on at 7am and ramp up for 120 minutes. The whites start a 120 minute ramp down at 3pm (off at 5pm), the actinics started a 90 min ramp down at 5:30pm (off at 7pm).

I have noticed the past few days, that my Orange clown and my Chromis will be out front of the tank until about 8:30am, then they tend to go hide behind the rock work until about 5:15pm. The B&W Clown and Firefish don't seem to mind the white light - though the B&W tends to stay back by the wall most of the day. I can't get the Orange and Chromis to come out, even if I put frozen food in the tank (which they love!). I'm starting to think the whites might be too bright for them?

I just turned the whites down to 25%, and the Actinics up to 40%.

I adjust percentages at the Typhoon controller - the pots are cranked to max.

EDIT - As I finished typing that, and turn around from my desk, the Chromis is swimming around at the front of the tank ... That's the first time I've seen him swimming up front like that during the day.

Last edited by Goldndoodle; 11/24/2014 at 09:30 AM.
Goldndoodle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/24/2014, 10:26 AM   #2740
PeterBel
Registered Member

Hi, i'm not sure which of the Retro kit you have, can you give the link? I have the Nano Cube Retro Kit installed at 85W with the 12K Special JMB Spectrum.

I can provide you with my % and schedule if it is close enought from your setup. Otherwise it won't apply.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldndoodle View Post
I've got a question for anyone using Steve's LED mod for NC28 -

What is your mix on the actinic & white LEDs?

I have the 96W DIY kit from Steve's - I'm running the white LEDs at 30%, and the Actinic LEDs at 35%. The actinics come on at 6am, and ramp up for 90 minutes. The whites come on at 7am and ramp up for 120 minutes. The whites start a 120 minute ramp down at 3pm (off at 5pm), the actinics started a 90 min ramp down at 5:30pm (off at 7pm).

I have noticed the past few days, that my Orange clown and my Chromis will be out front of the tank until about 8:30am, then they tend to go hide behind the rock work until about 5:15pm. The B&W Clown and Firefish don't seem to mind the white light - though the B&W tends to stay back by the wall most of the day. I can't get the Orange and Chromis to come out, even if I put frozen food in the tank (which they love!). I'm starting to think the whites might be too bright for them?

I just turned the whites down to 25%, and the Actinics up to 40%.

I adjust percentages at the Typhoon controller - the pots are cranked to max.

EDIT - As I finished typing that, and turn around from my desk, the Chromis is swimming around at the front of the tank ... That's the first time I've seen him swimming up front like that during the day.

Unread 11/24/2014, 12:48 PM   #2741
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

Sorry, my mistake - it is 85W Total - here's the link - http://shop.stevesleds.com/Nanocube-...tem-NC28RF.htm

Unread 11/24/2014, 02:56 PM   #2742
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Sorry, my mistake - it is 85W Total - here's the link - http://shop.stevesleds.com/Nanocube-...tem-NC28RF.htm
I am actually at 50% on channel 1 and 33% on channel 2. I do ramp up from 10% to 50% from 9am to 12pm then keep it at 50% until 4pm and dim it down to 0% in 4 hours.

Channel 2 start at 9:30a to 12:30p then stay at 33% until 4:30p and dim out until 8:30p

My fish are doing very well and all softies, polyps, zoas, Leather, torch, frogspawn and LPS in general.

SPS are stable but no real growth. They also bleached even with a ramp up of 4% per week at the beginning. No algae problem either.

Here what Steve Led's sent me as a recommendation:

Quote:
That sounds like the issue. After the 8 week acclimation period, most people end up with the blue channel running at around 90%, and the white channel is around 60%-90%. Sounds like your corals are starving for light.

To determine how much light to provide your corals with, it is very important to watch your corals and their response to the LED light. Start off at less than half dimmed down, and see how the polyps respond after 5 days. If the polyps are balloon like and relatively clear, they need more light. If they are small and dark, they are getting too much light. If they are pure white, they likely have been bleached (blasted with too much light), and will take about 3 months to recover using a 30-40% light level. If they appear to be relatively normal, just let them adjust to the LED spectrum for another 3-5 days. After that, increase the intensity of the LEDs approx. 2-3% once every 3-4 days (or 1% every day) over the course of the next 2 months. If you rush this process, it is highly probably that you will bleach and could even kill your corals. Corals will take a minimum of 6 weeks to acclimate and adjust to the new brighter LED light after you have completed acclimating them. During this time their colors will enhance and sometimes change as they adapt. Sometimes browns will turn to blues, sometimes blues will turn to greens, etc. Every individual coral is somewhat unique and as it adapts its colors may change. When introducing new corals, you must restart this acclimation process, by bringing the light intensity down to less than half.
If i raise to the level they suggest, all my corals start to bleach. In fact, they start to bleach at ~55% and that's why i am at 50% and 33%. I still have corals that are in recovery from bleaching. I did increase the value by 4% a week, maybe 2% would work better?

I also added a moonlight that i use on a reverse schedule.

Good luck.

Unread 11/24/2014, 03:15 PM   #2743
Goldndoodle
Registered Member

I did my upgrade back in March, then had to go out of the Country for work for 4 months from June - Oct. After I did the install, I was adding 1% per week, but backed off of that because I had a favia that was on the sand, bleach out. The favia is now back to normal. I was going to try to start increasing by 1% per MONTH increments.

I find Steve's reply interesting - I seriously doubt I could get to 90% on either without freaking something out - either corals or fish.

But on the other hand, the ratio of 90% blue to 60% white sounds like that might be something to try to keep balanced, while increasing intensity. That's a 3:2 blue:white ratio. As of right now, I'm at 40% blue 25% white, which would mean I'm a little heavy on the blue. To keep a 3:2 balance, I should drop the blues down to 37%.

BTW - I managed to keep the JBJ moonlights in tact when I did the Steve's upgrade. I had to move one of the JBJ moonlights because of the new fan placement, but I got them to work.

Last edited by Goldndoodle; 11/24/2014 at 03:21 PM.
Unread 11/24/2014, 03:35 PM   #2744
PeterBel
Registered Member

I agree that the reply was somewhat a surprise! I don't think i will ever go over the 50% i am at, but we never know! I might try to increase it again in a few weeks and see if i still have a bleaching problem.

Quote:
I was adding 1% per week, but backed off of that because I had a Favia that was on the sand, bleach out. It's now back to normal. I was going to try to start increasing by 1% per MONTH increments.

I find Steve's reply interesting - I seriously doubt I could get to 90% on either without freaking something out - either corals or fish.

But on the other hand, the ratio of 90% blue to 60% white sounds like that might be something to try to keep balanced, while increasing intensity. That's a 3:2 blue:white ratio. As of right now, I'm at 40% blue 25% white, which would mean I'm a little heavy on the blue. To keep a 3:2 balance, I should drop the blues down to 37%.

BTW - I managed to keep the JBJ moonlights in tact when I did the Steve's upgrade. I had to move one of the JBJ moonlights because of the new fan placement, but I got them to work.

Unread 11/26/2014, 08:17 AM   #2745
geezers11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d9sccr View Post
I haven't been able to find anything on this yet, but half of my light went out this week and I don't know why. Any help you guys can offer would be great. The light is 4-5 years old and I'm just wondering if half of it went bad or what.
My white lights have been systematically going out--like a row per month. I called JBJ who did offer to fix it. She said when one light goes-the entire row follows (like Christmas lights). No doubt a bad design flaw.

I then asked if they could put in dusk/dawn lights alternately with the whites as the all-white is far too bright and washes everything out. She said, "Funny you asked as we get that request a lot. But we cannot do that as the dusk/dawn require independent drivers." Huh?

Anyway, the JBJ rep happened to be at my LFS where I bought it and he said he'd give it a try. I'll let you know if he can make it work.

However, it still isn't dimmable which is a nice option since we all have our favorite settings.

Will keep you posted.

BTW, anyone tried these? http://nanoboxreef.com/ It looks interesting and the cost isn't crazy.

"Never lie if your memory sucks."
geezers11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 03:02 PM   #2746
yasarnuman
Registered Member

Hi Everyone,

I hava bought a 2 year old JBJ 28 Gallon Nano HQI tank , and the /transformer power cord for the moonlight leds was missing. Can any of you tell me the specifications of the transformer so that I can check if I can find one that is cheaper than buying the JBJ replacement one?

yasarnuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 03:59 PM   #2747
Pokerman11
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasarnuman View Post
Hi Everyone,

I hava bought a 2 year old JBJ 28 Gallon Nano HQI tank , and the /transformer power cord for the moonlight leds was missing. Can any of you tell me the specifications of the transformer so that I can check if I can find one that is cheaper than buying the JBJ replacement one?

3V DC - 380mA is what is on my moonlights now. Nothing special about the transformer block at all - just find something that matches the plug.

Pokerman11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 04:16 PM   #2748
yasarnuman
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pokerman11 View Post
3V DC - 380mA is what is on my moonlights now. Nothing special about the transformer block at all - just find something that matches the plug.
Thanks pokerman. I have bought a 3V transformer from amazon, but it didn't work. I have even showed it to few electricians, and they were no help either. I guess the problem was the mA. I will try to find one that matches that too. Also, the issue might be with leds.

Thanks again.

yasarnuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/08/2015, 05:12 PM   #2749
PeterBel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yasarnuman View Post
Thanks pokerman. I have bought a 3V transformer from amazon, but it didn't work. I have even showed it to few electricians, and they were no help either. I guess the problem was the mA. I will try to find one that matches that too. Also, the issue might be with leds.

Thanks again.
Check the polarity, it might be why it didn't work.

Unread 01/17/2015, 08:56 AM   #2750
reefsahoy
I can see thru you!

Location: Milky Way Galaxy 3rd planet from the sun, in a country called USA!
Whenever the stock pump starts it makes a "clack" sound. Short of eliminating the wave maker, what have you guys done to resolve this? What other pumps thats designed for the constant on/off switching have you guys decided to use also and are they quiet? Thx

reefsahoy is offline   Reply With Quote