Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/03/2018, 01:48 PM   #1
dodgy67
Dave

Fluconazole for algae

I have a outbreak of gha in my dt and dosed the other day 1 capsule of Fluconazole 150mg from a chemist that's all we can buy over the counter in the UK at £6 it has made a tiny impact on some small strands on a rock in my dt about 50 galls volume. I have just ordered 20 capsules from Russia on Ebay 1/4 UK price I need to dose about 3 to 4 capsules into my 50 galls volume my concern is I have Halimeda macro algae growing in my dt will the Fluconazole break this down or just the small strands of gha, is a water change required after the gha is gone

Mixed SPS & LPS

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Max C130. Self built 44x19x19 tank and stand June 2016 Maroon Clowns , 2 Pajamas, Sand sifting Goby, mixture of SPS and LPS
dodgy67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/03/2018, 10:20 PM   #2
bertoni
RC Mod

Some tanks will do better with some water changes. That depends on how much nutrient export the tank has, and what the total volume of hair algae is. I'd probably do a couple of 15% changes or so to help cut down on the nutrients a bit, but every tank is a bit different.

Unread 04/06/2018, 07:52 PM   #3
Googlymoogly
Registered Member

I just bought a bottle of it and was going to try it out soon. I dont have green hair algae but I do have red in my tank that im hoping to get rid of.... it wont hurt my tank to dose it if I dont have green hair algae will it?

Googlymoogly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/06/2018, 11:09 PM   #4
bertoni
RC Mod

It should be as safe. I don't know how reef-safe fluconazole actually is, but it seems not to cause major problems.

Unread 04/07/2018, 04:53 PM   #5
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Remove as much of the GHA as you can.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/07/2018, 05:34 PM   #6
BeachBumm
Registered Bumm

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjjr1963 View Post
remove as much of the gha as you can.
+1

BeachBumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2018, 05:12 AM   #7
SBV
Registered Member

Has anyone tried dosing more than the 20mg/gallon for hair algae? I have some Ulva and hair algae to get rid of. The Fluconazole worked on my Bryopsis. Thanks!

Current Tank Info: 120 LPS RR, 40 gal. fuge
SBV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 09:37 AM   #8
Jose Mayo
Registered Member

Fluconazole works by blocking the ergosterol synthesis pathway, a structural lipid that makes up the cell walls of fungi in general and some GREEN and BROWN algae. By blocking this synthesis of ergosterol, fluconazole renders the wall of the algae brittle and permeable, and this succumbs to the aggressiveness of the environment in which it lives. In addition, fluconazole also alters the production of diterpenoids by algae, which are the allelochemicals with which they defend against herbivores, so it is not uncommon for algae to be attacked by snails, crustaceans and fish herbivores, who previously refused to eat them.

RED ALGAE has cholesterol on its walls, not ergosterol, so it's almost never affected. Some macroalgae, such as Caulerpa sp, Codium sp and Halimeda sp, may be affected by fluconazole at high dosages. Cladophoráceas, such as Cladophora sp, Cladophoropsis sp and Chaetomorpha sp are resistant, but not totally "immune" to fluconazole.

ATS beds should be removed during treatment and sterilized before returning to the system, as well as all equipment used in the aquarium and that can store algae spores, otherwise they will "return" after the treatment is finished and the effect of fluconazole ceases .

All animals, from protozoa to higher animals, have cholesterol in their cell membranes and do not synthesize ergosterol, so they are not affected by fluconazole even at high dosage. What can happen, and will run, if no precautions are taken, is that in aquaria where algae infestation is very advanced, and if these algae are toxic, the fauna may be affected by products released in the decomposition of these algae.

In highly affected aquaria, the largest quantities of algae should be manually removed first and then treated with fluconazole to completely eradicate them.

Jose Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/14/2018, 10:42 PM   #9
rjjr1963
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SBV View Post
Has anyone tried dosing more than the 20mg/gallon for hair algae? I have some Ulva and hair algae to get rid of. The Fluconazole worked on my Bryopsis. Thanks!
I accidentally overdosed 500% with no negative effects.

Current Tank Info: 40 gallon reef
rjjr1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 02:29 AM   #10
homer1475
Registered Member

While it's great for bryopsis, it did nothing for my GHA. Even 3 doses did nothing.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 04:55 AM   #11
Jose Mayo
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by homer1475 View Post
While it's great for bryopsis, it did nothing for my GHA. Even 3 doses did nothing.
A relatively easy way to assess whether green or brown filamentous algae we have will be sensitive to Fluconazole is to check its structure under a microscope ... if the filaments observed are cenocytic or siphonous, ie if they are multinucleated, but not have true cell divisions (such as Bryopsis sp, Derbesia sp), will most likely be eliminated by Fluconazole. If the filaments have clear cell divisions (such as Cladophora sp, Cladophoropsis sp), they will probably withstand the same doses and treatment times that are effective for Bryopsis.

Jose Mayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/15/2018, 05:23 AM   #12
homer1475
Registered Member

Yeah don't think I'm buying a microscope to figure out I have algae, or what kind it is other then GHA.

Nutrient export, and manual removal is all thats needed for GHA.

Originally posted by der_wille_zur_macht:

"He's just taking his lunch to work"
homer1475 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 10:22 PM   #13
idan555
Registered Member

I had also outbreak about 5 months ago, I remove as much I can by hand and then used Flu... amazing resoult ater 10 days all gone, my fish, live stock and LPS was doing great no one die.
I dont remmber where I bought it from but I can look if you want too.

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/17/2018, 10:29 PM   #14
idan555
Registered Member

I didnt do any water change untill its was all gone (10 days in my case), I had to dose again after 5 days and it did the work.
Flu its a fish med or somthing like that, I dont remmber the whole story.
Im not sure about the Halimeda macro algae, there is some forum with the guy who used it first and he can tell you all about it.

hope it helps,
Dan

idan555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/19/2018, 12:07 PM   #15
clevername
Registered Member

I had the same experience, Fluconazole didn't kill everything.

Here is a recent post i just made about my plan to tackle the rest of the algae.

"
Everyone is right, false low reading and no export.

Personally i dimmed the lights 50%, doing 30% - 50% weekly water changes (small tank) and bought a phosphate reactor.

The phosphate reactor (IMO) is the best addon. This will strip the water column of PO4 and keep it there. REMEMBER, when you starve out alges (lights off) your releasing all the nutrients BACK into the water. You need to constantly be removing them.

I also ordered Reef Vibrant (which you can do your own research on)
"

clevername is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2020, 02:11 PM   #16
AquamanE
Registered Member

I ran Fluconazole for thick tufts of GHA. It took 4 weeks but totally gone. Now 6 months later its back. I was wondering if anyone has tried a “Maintenance dose”.

Yes I’m an avid WC and keeping nutrients under control person. Highest PHO4 ever gets is 0.1 with a HANNA UL meter, and Nitrate-5, with Nyos test kit. I run GFO as needed to keep those levels.

"I'd rather die living than live to die"

Current Tank Info: 200G mixed reef with 60G sump, Radion LED’s , Bubble King skimmer, blah blah blah.
AquamanE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07/12/2020, 06:01 PM   #17
bertoni
RC Mod

I haven't heard of a problem like that. I'd try running the full dose for a few months after the algae seems to be gone.

Unread 07/13/2020, 11:40 AM   #18
Sk8r
RC Mod

I suspect your rockwork and/or sand is the gift that continues to give. I fought it for 2 years and hundreds of dollars. Fluconazole got it at one try, but at that point, I think my rock and sand were running out of 'gift.'

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote