Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Reef Fishes
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/21/2009, 07:59 AM   #76
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

You could depending on the fish's temperment, But they are in the same family, The same body shape, and pretty much have the same temperment.
I wouldnt try it even in a 300 gallon. I know some people have both, But thats a shot in the dark getting them both to accept each other. IMO
I have seen these fish go from thriving to sickly and dieing in a matter of a couple weeks.
They dont handle stress very well. IMO

Current Tank Info: 300 gal marineland deep
Creetin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/22/2009, 09:48 PM   #77
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Just saw a couple of really fat Achilles at an LFS. Only issue is it had some ich on them. Would you recommend still buying one with ich already on it? It can go straight into QT. I am concerned that it could get so stressed and die quickly.

Current Tank Info: 180 Gallon, 3 G4 Radions
Mike de Leon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/23/2009, 01:00 AM   #78
SMOOTHIE
Premium Member

Depends on price and your time to dedicate to the health of the fish. We are talking more than a month at least of water quality, flow and lots of food by itself.

SMOOTHIE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/24/2009, 09:26 PM   #79
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMOOTHIE
Depends on price and your time to dedicate to the health of the fish. We are talking more than a month at least of water quality, flow and lots of food by itself.
I had one put on hold for me. The guy at the lfs is doing the QT. It seems all the ich is gone. I will wait a couple of days before taking him.
The fish is about six inches. Seems very healthy. The body is in perfect shape. Hopefully, the fact that he is larger makes him a stronger specimen. He should do well in my SPS tank. At least, until I get my new tank upgrade running..

Unread 02/24/2009, 10:46 PM   #80
SMOOTHIE
Premium Member

If the lfs going to qt the fish for you, and you have paid or put a deposit down, let him keep it for a few weeks. Especially if you do not have a qt setup at the house.

Unread 02/25/2009, 10:44 PM   #81
reefslugs
Registered Member

OK, here's something to think about. You find a Achillies at LFS. Do you take him home and put him in a QT? Remember, Achillies like large tanks with ton's of flow. So you bring him home. Put him in a 20g QT with a power head, with one rock to hide behind. Do you think he'll be happy or be stressed and ich out. This is were I decided that the achillies at my LFS, that I took home. He was fat, clean and was eating at the store. I decided not to put him in QT, but put him right in my 200, and pray. My achillies is doing great. The problem I have is keeping him fat. I know it's because I can only feed the tank once a day except for the weekends. Also me other fish are so aggressive at eating. So I've been hand feeding him, to help plump him up.

reefslugs is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 01:27 PM   #82
Cove Beach
Registered Member

I find that the one i have likes to eat before the main lights come on when the rest of the tank is still sleeping. I have windows on the far end of the room that let in the morning sun and the tank gets light but not enough to get the rest of them really active. I put a fresh sheet of nori on the clip right before lights out.

Current Tank Info: 245 Star Fire display,Basement Sump system
Cove Beach is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2009, 05:51 PM   #83
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SMOOTHIE
If the lfs going to qt the fish for you, and you have paid or put a deposit down, let him keep it for a few weeks. Especially if you do not have a qt setup at the house.
A QT in never what it's cut out to be. I have done it a few times. Even with constant water changes, cured LR and even a skimmer there's always issues. I have never been successful with QT at all.
So, my lfs is willing to keep the fish for a week and will also teach him to eat. I have kept an Achilles before, they pick up eating readily. Once he regains strength from the stress of travel he will come home to my tank. Hopefully he does not break out in ich...
He is one goergous fish! One of my favourites for sure!

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:04 PM   #84
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

[QUOTE]Originally posted by reefslugs
[B]OK, here's something to think about. You find a Achillies at LFS. Do you take him home and put him in a QT? Remember, Achillies like large tanks with ton's of flow. So you bring him home. Put him in a 20g QT with a power head, with one rock to hide behind. Do you think he'll be happy or be stressed and ich out. This is were I decided that the achillies at my LFS, that I took home. He was fat, clean and was eating at the store. I decided not to put him in QT, but put him right in my 200, and pray.

I took the Achilles home just yesterday. He is fat and very strong. He was immediately bullied by the yellow tang and had marks on the body already. He started to fight back, because of his huge size the yellow tang left me alone. He is suddenly the king of the tank. He is about 6 inches.

I decided to pick him up immediately from the lfs so that he can be nourished and taken cared of properly. He went right into the DT after three hours of drip.

I quarantined two of these fishes and non survived. They deteriorate in the QT. Let's see what happens this time.

Unread 03/01/2009, 08:41 PM   #85
Gary Majchrzak
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally posted by reefslugs
The problem I have is keeping him fat. I know it's because I can only feed the tank once a day except for the weekends.
get an autofeeder!

Current Tank Info: 84x24x30 265g reef past TOTM honors
Gary Majchrzak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2009, 07:44 AM   #86
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Quote:
Originally posted by Gary Majchrzak
get an autofeeder!
Good idea, One thing that i am curious about. My achilles is just as agressive now with feeding time. He gets his share.
Wierd that yours eats now, but not agressively. Is there fish that bully him at feeding time?
Maybe you can get him to eat mysis if you roll it up in nori, and hand feed it to him.

Unread 03/02/2009, 09:48 AM   #87
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Creetin
Good idea, One thing that i am curious about. My achilles is just as agressive now with feeding time. He gets his share.
Wierd that yours eats now, but not agressively.
How long will it take for them to learn to eat?

Unread 03/02/2009, 03:56 PM   #88
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Mine learned in about 2 weeks to accept everything. The other tangs showed him. When i only had my hippo tang he would not eat nori, When i added my purple the hippo seen the purple eating it and it began to as well. Tangs are competitive for food. IMO If they see one tang eating it they will learn that they can eat it, or eat it to keep the other from eating it. LOL

Unread 03/02/2009, 07:49 PM   #89
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Good News!! My Achilles is now eating nori! He saw other tangs eat... I only feed them nori. I add selcon to it and keeps them healthy...

Unread 03/03/2009, 12:08 AM   #90
Tc269
Registered Member

well now I feel worse about my recent purchase!! I ordered an achilles tang juvi. #1 thing that was said not to get a juvi :-( #2 I have a 100 gl tank you guys say this is too small :-( I do have two other tangs but not the acanthurus. Hopefully they will teach him how to eat though! But you guys have me very nurvous well I kinda was nervous right from the start he will be my most expensive fish. I already have garlic and selcon also. Everyone wish me luck! And thanks for the great learning thread

Current Tank Info: 55gallon with 300watt MH 14K lights and a turbo flotor multi skimmer
Tc269 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 12:12 AM   #91
Tc269
Registered Member

oh and my tank is only 4' :-(

Current Tank Info: 55gallon with 300watt MH 14K lights and a turbo flotor multi skimmer
Unread 03/03/2009, 12:21 AM   #92
vamaro
Registered Member

Good excuse for an upgrade! lol

Vince

vamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 08:41 AM   #93
Mike de Leon
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Tc269
well now I feel worse about my recent purchase!! I ordered an achilles tang juvi. #1 thing that was said not to get a juvi :-( #2 I have a 100 gl tank you guys say this is too small :-( I do have two other tangs but not the acanthurus. Hopefully they will teach him how to eat though! But you guys have me very nurvous well I kinda was nervous right from the start he will be my most expensive fish. I already have garlic and selcon also. Everyone wish me luck! And thanks for the great learning thread
I hope you're not ordering on-line. Make sure the specimen is strong. The coloration will tell you a lot. Also make sure that it's fat and the stomach is not caved in. The one I purchased has not eaten in two weeks and yet even the stomach looks full.
Aclimate really slow...Good luck!

Unread 03/03/2009, 10:49 AM   #94
hawkfishman
Registered Member

don't buy them for every one that lives in a tank 10 died makes ya feel real good don't it!!!

hawkfishman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2009, 12:55 PM   #95
Tc269
Registered Member

yea i ordered on line but from a Real good place Liveaquaria.com , he is just a tad on the skinny side you cant see ribs or bone at all just a little skinny in the tummy but i have seen worse, alot worse. Colors are awesome not faded or or blotchy. he is on a drip aclimation right now thought I would do 2.5 - 3 hours on that, doing a slow drip. very pretty fish hopes he makes it!

Unread 03/03/2009, 03:59 PM   #96
Tc269
Registered Member

Well I dont think thing could of looked to go any better. 3 hour acclimation. when intoduced to the tank my other 2 tangs, blue hippo, and sailfin didnt even look twice and never bothered him. within 2 minutes he was picking at the rock and eating some algea! Looks to be a good start hopefully it will keep going.

Unread 03/03/2009, 11:29 PM   #97
Tc269
Registered Member

he is already agressively eating spuritulabrine shrimp and nori and mysis only had him in the tank for 6-7 hours

Unread 03/04/2009, 01:02 AM   #98
SMOOTHIE
Premium Member

Great people to buy from Tc. Your healthy guy growing will be a good excuse to upgrade later. Mike- Right about the tiny qt. I have only housed juvies in my 20h qt, but it is full of caulerpa and makes them happy and disease free. Once again the tangs have all been small at first when I got them. Talkin 2 in small

Unread 03/04/2009, 01:31 PM   #99
Tc269
Registered Member

So how long do these fish stay skidish and shy? mine is eating very well but just likes to hide in the back behind rocks swiming. granted I only had him for 1 day just curious how long he will be shy for?

Unread 03/04/2009, 01:44 PM   #100
Creetin
Limestone Cowboy.

Well hard to say, Maybe he s threatened. Not a good sign that he is hiding they are active fish.
Most likely because the tank space. IMO When i bought mine he was hiding, When i added him to me 300 he was all over the tank, Never hid again.