Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/26/2017, 01:04 AM   #651
robbous
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted_C View Post
Well, after a long weekend of trying to re-stage my desktop and server and trying to get the AC4 up and running, I think I finally have it set up the way it needs to be running.

It's important when first setting this up to close the valve for the re-circulation pump partially. What seems to happen is the mixing chamber will need around 24 hours to stabilize it's level. The water dropped down for me to 4 inches above the inlet for the pump. It could be the controller / gas pressure / bubble count pushed the water out or a matter of reaching an equilibrium from water to correct amount of CO2.

After my level adjusted to the desired height (right at the optical sensor) I opened the valve to 100%

and a short video of it up and running:
I have the AC 4 unit and my mixing chamber does not have a plate above the bio balls

Current Tank Info: 500 Gallon display tank 200 gallon basement sump
robbous is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 07:08 AM   #652
Johnseye
Reef Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbous View Post
I have the AC 4 unit and my mixing chamber does not have a plate above the bio balls
That's not good. I'm guessing the bio balls float up and media could fall down into the gas chamber.

New 260g build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2557715

Current Tank Info: 260g reef, Giesemann Spectra MH/T5/Kessil A160, Dastaco CaRx, Vortechs, Lifereef skimmer, Red Dragon 3, Apex, Genesis, Angles, Tang, Trigger, Clowns, Anthias, Wrasses, Cardinals, SPS, LPS
Johnseye is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/26/2017, 09:10 AM   #653
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Rob have one of the first CalcFeeders which use very strong pump(same like me).
We started using plates on smaller reactors which use small power pumps and simply straight flow doesn't make proper turbulences.
Now we are using them on each reactors however in AC3/AC4 their function is limited(on AC3 and AC4 there are main valves on pump which allow two increase/decrease pump flow.
So you don't have to worry about that..

Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2017, 10:54 PM   #654
dz6t
Registered Member

Now I am confused, exactly how is this design superior than the traditional pH probe plus bubble counter with a master flex pump to drive it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dz6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 11:45 AM   #655
mrtint
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dz6t View Post
Now I am confused, exactly how is this design superior than the traditional pH probe plus bubble counter with a master flex pump to drive it?

No PH probe needed or need to dial in a bubble counter. Solenoid opens when reactor needs C02. When all is well

mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 02:44 PM   #656
dz6t
Registered Member

CalcFeeder Basic/Pro - latest generation calcium reactor

Does it work better than traditional calcium reactor? I saw from several posts before tgat the pH inside the reactor is variable? Is the pH controlled inside the reactor?

Unread 09/29/2017, 03:00 PM   #657
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Does it work better than traditional calcium reactor? I saw from several posts before tgat the pH inside the reactor is variable? Is the pH controlled inside the reactor?

Not really. It's always saturated with CO2. Adjusting the flow rate using the circulation pump valve has some effect on pH, but not much, ime.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
HippieSmell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 04:59 PM   #658
dz6t
Registered Member

How do you know the amount you need to add in to the tank?

Unread 09/29/2017, 05:11 PM   #659
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
How do you know the amount you need to add in to the tank?

Trial and error. Test every day and make adjustments. Once dialed in, it's pretty stable.

Current Tank Info: 78"x36"x27" acrylic, 6 Orphek Atlantik V3+ Compacts, MRC Orca Pro II w/washdown, CalcFeeder Pro AC3, Emperor Aquatics 80w UV, 80/20 aluminum stand, Vortech MP60's, Theiling Rollermat, GHL Profilux 3.1T EX, Kessil H380
Unread 09/29/2017, 05:17 PM   #660
lionfish300
Registered Member

Quote:
How do you know the amount you need to add in to the tank? No one know you have to find that out for yourself sad but true just like a lot of other things with this reactor

lionfish300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2017, 05:25 PM   #661
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HippieSmell View Post
Trial and error. Test every day and make adjustments. Once dialed in, it's pretty stable.

So it still need to dial it in, and you lost the control of pH? What is the point?

Unread 09/29/2017, 05:29 PM   #662
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
So it still need to dial it in, and you lost the control of pH? What for?

Are you talking about dialing in the tank alk, or reactor pH? I was talking about dialing in the tank alk. The reactor pH is almost always guaranteed to be where it needs to be. You have minimal control over reactor pH because it isn't necessary.

Unread 09/29/2017, 05:52 PM   #663
dz6t
Registered Member

Dial in the tank Alk.
You can do without a pH probe on traditional reactor, just a bubble counter to watch the CO2 gets in the reactor is normally fine.
I am trying to figure out the advantages of using this PacSun reactor vs the traditional ones that warrant spending so much more.

Unread 09/29/2017, 05:56 PM   #664
dz6t
Registered Member

By the way, today I found out salty supply is putting these type of PacSun reactors on clearance, there is a 25% off coupon to use on top of the clearance price.
They also sell the controller and degasser separately as well.

Unread 09/29/2017, 06:23 PM   #665
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
By the way, today I found out salty supply is putting these type of PacSun reactors on clearance, there is a 25% off coupon to use on top of the clearance price.
They also sell the controller and degasser separately as well.

Yeah, they probably aren't selling. I bet they release a version 2. Then we'll all be stuck with their rushed beta version.

If you can get it for cheap, it's worth it. I just hope mine lasts for a few years. Eventually, I'll probably modify mine once it starts breaking down.

Unread 09/29/2017, 06:25 PM   #666
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Dial in the tank Alk.
You can do without a pH probe on traditional reactor, just a bubble counter to watch the CO2 gets in the reactor is normally fine.
I am trying to figure out the advantages of using this PacSun reactor vs the traditional ones that warrant spending so much more.

You don't need a needle valve. Unfortunately, I was originally told that I did need one. So, there goes the one thing I could have saved money on.

Unread 09/29/2017, 06:29 PM   #667
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

I will say that customer service has been good, and they will implement firmware updates on customer feedback.

Unread 09/29/2017, 07:15 PM   #668
dz6t
Registered Member

Quote:
You don't need a needle valve. Unfortunately, I was originally told that I did need one. So, there goes the one thing I could have saved money on.

Isn't a needle valve comes with a regulator?
A needle valve is dirty cheat anyway.

Unread 09/29/2017, 07:31 PM   #669
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Isn't a needle valve comes with a regulator?
A needle valve is dirty cheat anyway.

No, they don't. And the good ones aren't cheap.

Unread 09/29/2017, 08:29 PM   #670
dz6t
Registered Member

Most needle valve for calcium reactor applications are around $15 to $30 each. More experience needle valve is not needed.

Unread 09/29/2017, 08:41 PM   #671
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Most needle valve for calcium reactor applications are around $15 to $30 each. More experience needle valve is not needed.

OK, have fun

Unread 09/29/2017, 11:40 PM   #672
mrtint
Registered Member

Firmware update question

Do you run the firmware updater with the USB/printer cable attached WITH the cal feed plugged into power
OR
Does the USB/printer supply the power when connected to computer?

mrtint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 12:07 AM   #673
HippieSmell
Occupy Reef Central

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrtint View Post
Firmware update question

Do you run the firmware updater with the USB/printer cable attached WITH the cal feed plugged into power
OR
Does the USB/printer supply the power when connected to computer?

Plugged into power. Hit update with cable connected, wait a couple seconds, then unplug and replug the controller power cord. Update will then start.

Unread 09/30/2017, 07:37 AM   #674
Przemek_PacSun
Registered Member

Quote:
Yeah, they probably aren't selling. I bet they release a version 2. Then we'll all be stuck with their rushed beta version.

If you can get it for cheap, it's worth it. I just hope mine lasts for a few years. Eventually, I'll probably modify mine once it starts breaking down.
We are satisfied from sales all reactors coming from CalcFeeder PRO series and we don't plan to release any version 2 :-)
There isn't anything like beta reactors/construction.
Within last few months we improved controller software cause we learned that depending from used media etc some additional functions (like auto degassing, auto reactor filling etc) can be very useful and help in reactor maintenance.
Only what we want to do is new video manual with step by step tutorial howe to run, adjust and maintenance reactor during his use/service.
That's it.
Thats discount offered by Salty Supply wasn't agreed by us and it's not allowed
(it broke our terms/regulations between PS and USA Distributor)

Regards

Przemek

Przemek_PacSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2017, 08:37 AM   #675
Ted_C
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Przemek_PacSun View Post
We are satisfied from sales all reactors coming from CalcFeeder PRO series and we don't plan to release any version 2 :-)
There isn't anything like beta reactors/construction.
Within last few months we improved controller software cause we learned that depending from used media etc some additional functions (like auto degassing, auto reactor filling etc) can be very useful and help in reactor maintenance.
Only what we want to do is new video manual with step by step tutorial howe to run, adjust and maintenance reactor during his use/service.
That's it.
Thats discount offered by Salty Supply wasn't agreed by us and it's not allowed
(it broke our terms/regulations between PS and USA Distributor)

Regards

Przemek
I would really consider re-designing your acrylic work for version 2.
I am agreeing with some of the previous comments from wishntoboutside and gcarroll previously in this thread.

The acrylic welding / gluing: you really should consider a professional or someone who knows what they are doing. There are many bubbles in your welds. All acrylic welds to clear acrylic or the high density acrylic should be completely clear of bubbles. Bubbles indicate a rush job and an imperfect weld.

The overall design needs to be re-thought. You should have a machined groove in the high density acrylic (the white acrylic bottom and top flange) that is designed so that the clear cell cast acrylic media and mixing chamber should fit into and be welded into. You will have a much stronger bond between the two materials. What I am specifically talking about is the bottom of the reactor and the top flange of the reactor that you screw the lids into (not the lids). This means you will probably need to make your flanges and lids larger to accommodate this critical design point.

Forget the keyholes. For as many mistakes I made in trying to guess how this should be put together - I never once utilized the keyhole design of the screws / lids. I fully removed all screws every time I'm trying to work on the mixing chamber or media chamber. Key holes rarely work with the o-rings either. Every time you move the lid trying to fit it into the keyholes you have the chance to dislodge the o-ring forming an imperfect seal.

Lastly, version 2 should have excellent assembly instructions pictures and videos. Utilize all of the emails Tomasz and you have sent and received on all of the questions we've asked so you can have a better understanding of our confusions.