Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/26/2017, 11:54 AM   #101
slief
RC Sponsor

I am now peaking at 87% for 4 hours out of my 12 hour photo period with a 16010k color spectrum. I am using power balancing so that some of the channels can exceed 100% output and have it set to High Output. At peak hours, the lights are only pulling about 85 watts per fixture which is pretty damn efficient as I am only drawing a total of about 506 watts for all 6 fixtures.FWIW.. I just submitted my GCC Composer light project to the light project sharing page and detailed my settings as part of the description. It should be available at the link below once GHL approves it.
https://www.aquariumcomputer.com/sup...oser-projects/

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/27/2017, 11:02 AM   #102
RegalAngel
Registered Member

Thanks for the information!!!

RegalAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2017, 03:48 PM   #103
mikeatjac
Registered Member

If you can copy the G4's Coral Labs settings. That is awesome.

Unread 03/01/2017, 08:48 AM   #104
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post
If you can copy the G4's Coral Labs settings. That is awesome.
The color channels are a little different but you can get any spectrum you want, just play around a little.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 11:19 AM   #105
gcarroll
Registered Member

This thread is really making my lighting choice hard!

SPS = Stability Promotes Success
Be wary of advice coming from those who will not show you the fruits of their success!

Current Tank Info: building: 250g AGE Euro tank, Abyzz A200, Vertex Supra-G filtration, Ecotech Radion Pro LEDs, ...
gcarroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 02:49 PM   #106
Jmunk
Registered Member

For those of you guys running in HE mode (most seem like you are), what are your guys max output power at? When talking with Vinny, I didn't realize that the brightness set at your project is a percentage of the total output power you enter in the energy options setting, NOT a percentage of 100% of the lights.

Right now I'm running 51%, increasing 1% daily, out of my total output of 65% (so roughly 31% of the total power).

Unread 03/01/2017, 05:00 PM   #107
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jmunk View Post
For those of you guys running in HE mode (most seem like you are), what are your guys max output power at? When talking with Vinny, I didn't realize that the brightness set at your project is a percentage of the total output power you enter in the energy options setting, NOT a percentage of 100% of the lights.

Right now I'm running 51%, increasing 1% daily, out of my total output of 65% (so roughly 31% of the total power).

The power settings threw me a little bit too. I got the HO vs. HE mode, but the max power in each mode vs. the percentages in the light project was a little unclear as far as how they affected each other. I'm running mine in HE mode, 100% max power. (Which I think 100% max power in HE mode is 130W vs. 195W in HO.) In the light project, Hyper-V, blues, and blue-white are just over 80%, the others are between 20-30%, color temp ~17K. The output power shows roughly 48-49W in the project, but doesn't seem right based on the settings.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/01/2017, 05:14 PM   #108
Jmunk
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GimpyFin View Post
The power settings threw me a little bit too. I got the HO vs. HE mode, but the max power in each mode vs. the percentages in the light project was a little unclear as far as how they affected each other. I'm running mine in HE mode, 100% max power. (Which I think 100% max power in HE mode is 130W vs. 195W in HO.) In the light project, Hyper-V, blues, and blue-white are just over 80%, the others are between 20-30%, color temp ~17K. The output power shows roughly 48-49W in the project, but doesn't seem right based on the settings.
Yeah it's a little strange and almost seems unnecessarily complicated.

Wait so you're max output total power in the energy options is 100%, and what is the brightness set for each point in your project?

Unread 03/01/2017, 05:29 PM   #109
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Yes, the max output in energy options is set to 100 (Bumped up from default of 80) and they're running in high efficiency mode. I realized that it tied to the percentages in the light project when the brightness increased in the tank when I bumped the max power from 80 to 100 but didn't touch the project percentages or the mode. (Increased even more going from HE to HO mode.) Right now I have UV @ 25%, HyperV, blues, and blue white @ 82%, sky white 35%, cool white 20%, red/green 15%. (That runs for about 6-7 hours, with 1.5 hour ramps up/down.) The thing that confuses me is the power output displayed in the light project only showing 48W. Though, that reading doesn't seem to change even if I throw them into HO mode, so I'm not sure what exactly that correlates to.

Unread 03/01/2017, 06:54 PM   #110
Jmunk
Registered Member

What does yours look like here?

Unread 03/01/2017, 07:40 PM   #111
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
What does yours look like here?

Forgot about that part. I have the brightness level at 100%. The level of control on these lights is pretty over the top. I didn't even adjust the overdrive settings where you can run certain channels past 100%, etc. (Similar to what AI has on the hd hydras.)

Unread 03/01/2017, 07:49 PM   #112
Jmunk
Registered Member

Quote:
Forgot about that part. I have the brightness level at 100%. The level of control on these lights is pretty over the top. I didn't even adjust the overdrive settings where you can run certain channels past 100%, etc. (Similar to what AI has on the hd hydras.)
Ahh, so you are running 100% of 100% power then, gotcha. Vinny did however say that in HE mode the real output area is somewhere in the ballpark of 70% of the absolute total power of the lights, (at least that's what I understood from him), so that's a factor too then.

I haven't even touched the overdrive settings either, I'm just leaving it default.

These lights are amazing in a ton of different aspects, but damn if it isn't confusing with some things lol

Unread 03/01/2017, 11:06 PM   #113
cpllongjk
Registered Member

Hey Guys and Gals,

I just tried to replicate the CoralLab AB+ profile on the Mitras tonight. It is very basic and follows their 9 hour photoperiod; which has a 1 hour ramp up and down with 7 hours of the same spectrum. The spectrum is at roughly 16-17k during the main 7 hours of lighting.

If you have or have had the Radions and have run the CoralLab AB+ profile in the past please let me know how closely I have matched it to their profile. I would like to tweak it a bit and it can be difficult without a frame of reference especially when the Radion and the Mitra has different LEDs.

Would anyone be interested in testing it out with me?

Please PM me with your email address and I will send you the profile.

cpllongjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2017, 12:46 AM   #114
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Ahh, so you are running 100% of 100% power then, gotcha. Vinny did however say that in HE mode the real output area is somewhere in the ballpark of 70% of the absolute total power of the lights, (at least that's what I understood from him), so that's a factor too then.

I haven't even touched the overdrive settings either, I'm just leaving it default.

These lights are amazing in a ton of different aspects, but damn if it isn't confusing with some things lol

Yeah, that is the way I undetstand it as well. HO mode set at 100% max. would be 100% power if all channels were also at 100% as well as brightness. It is interesting that you can adjust the overall brightness while keeping all the individual color values at the same percentages.

Unread 03/02/2017, 07:13 AM   #115
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpllongjk View Post
Hey Guys and Gals,

I just tried to replicate the CoralLab AB+ profile on the Mitras tonight. It is very basic and follows their 9 hour photoperiod; which has a 1 hour ramp up and down with 7 hours of the same spectrum. The spectrum is at roughly 16-17k during the main 7 hours of lighting.

If you have or have had the Radions and have run the CoralLab AB+ profile in the past please let me know how closely I have matched it to their profile. I would like to tweak it a bit and it can be difficult without a frame of reference especially when the Radion and the Mitra has different LEDs.

Would anyone be interested in testing it out with me?

Please PM me with your email address and I will send you the profile.

I own both lights and what I did with the Mitras is just followed what Radion did with the AB+ which is all blues at 100% and the whites/red/green at 24%. That will be close enough. I've since tweaked my Mitras a bit, but not because I was trying to more closely match the AB+ schedule, just for personal preference.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2017, 07:28 AM   #116
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

I'm on the fence now, this is making my decision almost impossible. Either the GHL LX7 or the Kessil AP700.... True life problems, LOL

Unread 03/02/2017, 08:45 AM   #117
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malign Reefer View Post
I'm on the fence now, this is making my decision almost impossible. Either the GHL LX7 or the Kessil AP700.... True life problems, LOL

Lol, I had the same problem a month or so ago when trying to decide on new lights (I considered others too.) I think what sold me on these (Especially after seeing Dennis's nice write up) is the puck layout, no disco effect, and the level of control you get with their configuration app (It's like a tweaker's wet dream.)

Unread 03/02/2017, 09:01 AM   #118
Malign Reefer
Registered Member

Quote:
Lol, I had the same problem a month or so ago when trying to decide on new lights (I considered others too.) I think what sold me on these (Especially after seeing Dennis's nice write up) is the puck layout, no disco effect, and the level of control you get with their configuration app (It's like a tweaker's wet dream.)
Yes, this write up is what made seriously consider the GHL lights.

Is the "Disco" effect you are referring to the "Shimmer" on the Kessil lights? And if so, what causes the disco/shimmer effect on some lights and not others?

Unread 03/02/2017, 10:10 AM   #119
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malign Reefer View Post
Yes, this write up is what made seriously consider the GHL lights.

Is the "Disco" effect you are referring to the "Shimmer" on the Kessil lights? And if so, what causes the disco/shimmer effect on some lights and not others?
The disco effect I was referring to is when you start see some of the individual led colors on the sandbed as opposed to a uniform blend. Both these and the kessils blend quite well. The Mitras don't have quite the same metallic shimmer as the Kessils, though.

Unread 03/02/2017, 03:19 PM   #120
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcarroll View Post
This thread is really making my lighting choice hard!
Yes! I am leaning towards the G4 Pro but this weekend I get to see both side by side. I just don't like the look of my T5s, tank looks to flat.

Unread 03/02/2017, 05:13 PM   #121
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeatjac View Post
Yes! I am leaning towards the G4 Pro but this weekend I get to see both side by side. I just don't like the look of my T5s, tank looks to flat.
If you see them both side by side, I suspect it will be an easy decision. Mitras is the winner IMO. It's similar to the G4 but the power output is slightly better. Especially with the power balancing and the color channels are a bit better on the Mitras IMO which can result in better coloration of the corals when you fine tune the channels. In fact, the Mitras are one of the best lights I have ever seen or played with when it comes to channel control, spread and output and I've had my hands on pretty much all the popular lights from the Radions to Kessils, AI Hydras, Reef Tech, Maxpect and others. Heck, sitting here at my house right now I have Kessil 360's, AP700, Mitras LX6200, Mitras LX7206's, Radion XR30 Pro's, Radion XR15 Pro's and a Maxspect Razor. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you see them. The Mitras LX7206's over my main display were a pretty easy decision and my corals are doing great!

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
Unread 03/03/2017, 12:29 AM   #122
rodneyri
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by slief View Post
If you see them both side by side, I suspect it will be an easy decision. Mitras is the winner IMO. It's similar to the G4 but the power output is slightly better. Especially with the power balancing and the color channels are a bit better on the Mitras IMO which can result in better coloration of the corals when you fine tune the channels. In fact, the Mitras are one of the best lights I have ever seen or played with when it comes to channel control, spread and output and I've had my hands on pretty much all the popular lights from the Radions to Kessils, AI Hydras, Reef Tech, Maxpect and others. Heck, sitting here at my house right now I have Kessil 360's, AP700, Mitras LX6200, Mitras LX7206's, Radion XR30 Pro's, Radion XR15 Pro's and a Maxspect Razor. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts once you see them. The Mitras LX7206's over my main display were a pretty easy decision and my corals are doing great!
Not sure it will be so easy, I saw them and bought a whole bunch of Radion G4 for my tank. To me it looked crisper and appeared brighter than the Mitras. The Mitras looked like it flooded the tank more giving it more of a T5 look. Each to their own I guess, but at least he has the chance to see both aswell

Unread 03/03/2017, 03:31 PM   #123
mako61
Registered Member

I am still debating between G4s and LX7s for my new setup. I hate the disco effect. LX7s are winning my internal debate :-) I have been out of reefing for 10+ years so im a noob with this stuff.

The tank is 60x22x22 i plan on mixed at some point. LPS to start with. I def plan to start with 2 lights, I may go to 3 in the future. ( if needed SPS )

Anyone know the approximate min and max height off the water I need to have for either 2/3. I am currently working on a adjustable mount design, so the range would help in costing the parts. im thinking 8-12 inches, but i cant find much info.

Current Tank Info: Returning Reefer - Red Sea 525XL, Mitras LX7s, Apex, check homepage for vids of tank
mako61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/03/2017, 03:36 PM   #124
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
Not sure it will be so easy, I saw them and bought a whole bunch of Radion G4 for my tank. To me it looked crisper and appeared brighter than the Mitras. The Mitras looked like it flooded the tank more giving it more of a T5 look. Each to their own I guess, but at least he has the chance to see both aswell
I suspect the difference you saw was a result of the way the Mitras were setup. They have very similar diode spectrum's though the Mitras does have one extra channel and instead of the clusters being laid out in two larger pucks. the Mitras have 6. At the end of the day, you can tune the Mitras to look just like a Radion if you chose to by comparing the diodes colors on each channel and setting the intensities to match.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mako61 View Post
I am still debating between G4s and LX7s for my new setup. I hate the disco effect. LX7s are winning my internal debate :-) I have been out of reefing for 10+ years so im a noob with this stuff.

The tank is 60x22x22 i plan on mixed at some point. LPS to start with. I def plan to start with 2 lights, I may go to 3 in the future. ( if needed SPS )

Anyone know the approximate min and max height off the water I need to have for either 2/3. I am currently working on a adjustable mount design, so the range would help in costing the parts. I'm thinking 8-12 inches, but i cant find much info.
8-12" would be fine. It's all relative to the tank length, number of lights, how you orient the light over the tank etc.

Unread 03/03/2017, 04:33 PM   #125
mikeatjac
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodneyri View Post
I really like the look of the G4 Pro so a Side by side will be interesting. I know a G4 pro blows away G3 pro.