Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Marine Fish Forums > Anemones & Clownfish
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/11/2017, 09:57 AM   #26
JFranz93
Registered Member

JFranz93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/11/2017, 02:27 PM   #27
Kinetic
Registered Member

Everyone has their own methods of keeping water parameters in check. I definitely wouldn't use bio-balls and filter floss personally. Traps a bunch of detritus and that just breaks down eventually into more nitrates/phosphates if they're not cleaned out extremely often.

In my opinion, a brilliantly working skimmer goes a long way to get junk out before it turns to ammonia. Chaeto or other phosphate/nitrate absorbing is a good idea. Carbon isn't bad either.

Kinetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/12/2017, 10:15 AM   #28
JFranz93
Registered Member

I'm cleaning out the floss once a week.

I'll monitor the levels. If I see anything spiking I'll remove the balls. My LFS likes them and they say as long as you don't let gunk build up on them they are a good place for surface area for allow BB to build up.

I'll add more carbon to the system on sunday when I do weekly maintenance on all of my tanks.

Unread 09/12/2017, 10:15 AM   #29
JFranz93
Registered Member

Thanks for the information!

Unread 09/18/2017, 06:50 PM   #30
kozmic
Registered Member

+100 on ditching the floss and bio balls... will quickly turn into a nitrate factory...

I've been fish and reef keeping for 20+ years, and I will never use bio balls on any tank ever again...or floss really... just use the right amount of rock for bacteria keeping, a good filter sock to catch large solids, a good skimmer for removal of excess proteins, perhaps some form of fuge to catch excess PO4, and some carbon to clarify the water.

If you insist on using some form of bio ball... try the marine pure balls... (they act more like additional live rock and have way more surface area than those traditional "bio balls")

Last edited by kozmic; 09/19/2017 at 06:59 AM.
kozmic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/18/2017, 06:52 PM   #31
Kinetic
Registered Member

Everyone has different methods, but I feel like what you say is the general modern day consensus @kozmic.

@JFranz93: how's your skimmer doing? You never mention it. Usually skimmers are pulling out 2 to 3 full cups a week of gunk. That's when you know it's working.

Unread 09/20/2017, 10:15 AM   #32
JFranz93
Registered Member

Its currently non existence... I bought a cheap one from Petsmart (Shame me I know) and it broke after week one. I'm saving up for a better skimmer. (Will get it this friday on pay day). I'm a full time student as well so I can't invest all of my money into the tank (Ramen on tastes so good for so long haha)

Unread 09/21/2017, 12:20 AM   #33
Kinetic
Registered Member

Do what you can, but at some point, you will need to get your filtration sustainable. It'll need to happen, otherwise, it's just going to become a mess that you can't control.

Rock solid proven way to keep harmful levels of anything is a strong skimmer with at least 2 full cups a week skimmed.

GFO will help with any excess phosphates that breaks down from something your skimmer doesn't catch. GFO gets expensive, and you might be able to get away with a really strong chaeto grow if you have space. You could even put together an inexpensive algae reactor (marine depot has a good cheap solution with an Aquamaxx and accel stirp light).

Basically, skim out stuff before it breaks down. Water changes will help you fight nitrate build up and replenish water parameters. Phosphate solutions to keep algae at bay for, well, visual problems mostly.

Filter floss and bio balls, just going to trap more poop to turn into nitrates and phosphates.

If you want to polish up your water, you can run Carbon.

Unread 09/21/2017, 07:20 AM   #34
Zagzoo71
Registered Member

For mine I am running a skimmer and a 11" x 10" algae scrubber.. so far with 13 nems in the tank still reading zero levels and cup of black skim mate a week. Skimmer takes out its part then the algae scrubbers cleans out the rest.

Might want to read into algae scrubbing, I know it is voodoo topic for some people.

Tank #1: 180g "in the wall" ClownFish Harem Tank!

Current Tank Info: 180g In the wall build
Zagzoo71 is offline   Reply With Quote