Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > The Reef Chemistry Forum
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 10/12/2017, 03:04 PM   #1
2_zoa
Registered Member

Polyurethane sheet

Hey all, I have some super soft polyurethane sheeting that I’d like to use in my sump under my return pump and skimmer.

My questions are, is it ok to use this in my system? What would it leach into the water? Will it ruin the acrylic that my sump and skimmer are made of?

I don’t know exactly what type it is as I get it from work. It’s very soft and is sticky to surfaces. Once you put it down it doesn’t move though it’s very easy to lift it by hand.

I believe it is this. We get it from mc master carr. It’s most likely the 3000 series.
https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-p...heets/=19s8t0a

2_zoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 03:09 PM   #2
2_zoa
Registered Member

I couldn’t edit my post.
I believe, It’s the second option down on the left. The super- cushioning.

Unread 10/12/2017, 04:36 PM   #3
bertoni
RC Mod

I wouldn't trust it, but it's hard to be sure. People have killed tanks by putting a computer mouse pad into the system trying to do what you're doing. A mouse pad is a particularly dangerous idea, but I wouldn't trust any polyurethane. The Wikipedia page has some information in it that illustrates some of the issues.

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:03 PM   #4
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

Better off with a silicone pad for hot pots @ Bed Bath & Beyond.

Unread 10/12/2017, 05:05 PM   #5
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I wouldn't trust it, but it's hard to be sure. People have killed tanks by putting a computer mouse pad into the system trying to do what you're doing. A mouse pad is a particularly dangerous idea, but I wouldn't trust any polyurethane. The Wikipedia page has some information in it that illustrates some of the issues.
Oh no, Does that go for the closed cell foam leveling mats? I have some scraps under my skimmer and return pumps. I think I'll remove them until sure.

Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 05:57 PM   #6
bertoni
RC Mod

I don't know enough about the final contents of any polyurethane product to be sure what might happen. They might be safe enough, but I'd wait for some comments from someone with a strong chemistry background before trusting anything, personally.

Unread 10/12/2017, 06:20 PM   #7
karimwassef
Registered Member

I used spray foam in my sump without issue

Failure isn't an option It's a requirement. 660g 380inwall+280smp/surge S/L/Soft/Maxima/RBTA/Clown/Chromis/Anthias/Tang/Mandarin/Jawfish/Goby/Wrasse/D'back. DIY 12' Skimmer ActuatedSurge ConcreteScape
karimwassef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 06:26 PM   #8
2_zoa
Registered Member

Thank you all for the replies.

What’s the opinions on these? They are silicone and just the right diameter for my skimmer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...EDZV2SDT&psc=1

Unread 10/12/2017, 06:33 PM   #9
Smokey Stover
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
I don't know enough about the final contents of any polyurethane product to be sure what might happen. They might be safe enough, but I'd wait for some comments from someone with a strong chemistry background before trusting anything, personally.
Same here, Thanks for the heads up. I'd rather err on the side of caution. I wasn't sure about that foam, It floats, but thought thicker would be better at sound/vibration dampening.
It's only been in the sump a couple days, After the Irma re-start. So back to the silicone hot pot pads which I'd been using.

Edit: Those in your link look better than mine. Thicker and black. Mine are Red,Green,Blue and orange.

Last edited by Smokey Stover; 10/12/2017 at 06:39 PM.
Smokey Stover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 07:37 PM   #10
ericarenee
Registered Member

There are some poly sheets that is Food Safe.. If you know the exact brand of what you have see if you can find msds sheets on them. It will say food or food prep safe if they are OK For the tank. many resins are urethane base products.

NOPE This is not a answer just thoughts

Current Tank Info: 240= gal Reef /550 Gallon Saltwater pond 72 G Bay front Tropical aquarium
ericarenee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/12/2017, 07:51 PM   #11
bertoni
RC Mod

I agree that food-safe products are likely a good bet.

Unread 10/13/2017, 11:25 AM   #12
orcafood
Registered Member

from wiki:

"Some noteworthy recent efforts have been dedicated to minimizing the use of isocyanates to synthesize polyurethanes, because the isocyanates raise severe toxicity issues. Non-isocyanate based polyurethanes (NIPUs) have recently been developed as a new class of polyurethane polymers to mitigate health and environmental concerns."

Kevin

Current Tank Info: 200 gallon sps
orcafood is offline   Reply With Quote