Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/02/2017, 03:50 PM   #1
Wazzel
Registered Member

Impact of elevated temps on SPS

At some point in late spring or early summer my hearer controller malfunctioned. Not totally sure when since there was no obvious signs something was wrong. Over the late spring early summer my tank took a down turn and I lost several colonies. The ones that did not die looked pail and stopped growing. A few weeks ago it totally fried and my tank got to feeling like bath water. I pulled the heated, added a $8 desk fan and replaced the heater. Since then they die off has ended, colors have improved and the half dead ones have started to regrow.

I really have no clue how hot my tank had been running since I did not have a secondary way to measure temp. A guess would be mid to upper 80's. I now have a secondary temp probe via GHL P4. Still need to move the heater to the power bar and put in a high temp cut off.

If you do not have a secondary way to check temp you should probably get one. Even an old school $3 thermometer would would have saved me a lot of grief.

Beware the light at the end of the tunnel. Sometimes it's a train.

Current Tank Info: 120, LED, Bare Bottom, SPS/LPS
Wazzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 05:28 PM   #2
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

85 is as much as I would want to go, but my Medusa freaks out at 82 since I don't want to do much more than this.

Sorry to hear this.

jda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 05:35 PM   #3
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

I run apex, and a ranco for redundant measurement. Former was adjusted to match the latter. I run some heaters off the apex, others off the ranco. That way not all of my warm eggs are in a single basket ....... metaphor mangled.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/02/2017, 05:43 PM   #4
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
85 is as much as I would want to go, but my Medusa freaks out at 82 since I don't want to do much more than this.

Sorry to hear this.
Not sure if it was the actual temp or the duration at the elevated temp that got me. The pieces I lost took weeks to go from healthy to dead. Loosing the pieces sucked. Some of them I really liked. I have actually acquired more pieces than I lost in the past few weeks.

Unread 09/02/2017, 05:51 PM   #5
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

What is your new plan? I have Ranco or Medusa with Ehiem with their own thermostats. ...and I use six individual heaters on one tank and five on the other. Both a controller and probably four heaters would have to fail to make my tank heat up - never tested the exact number.

I float a cheap mercury thermometer in the wavebox to check the readouts.

Unread 09/02/2017, 06:21 PM   #6
Wazzel
Registered Member

I got a new heater-controller and I got a GHL profilux 4. So now I have redundancy on the heater and tempature monitoring. The desk fan is going to be replaced with the GHL propeller beeeze 4, when it gets here.

I should have done dual or triple heaters, but did not think that far ahead since I was in damage control mode.

Unread 09/04/2017, 01:56 AM   #7
kainic
Registered Member

At the beggining of this summer my temp went too high for about a week. My SSC and a birdnest bleached as well as my three RBTA. Completely white, no zoox left. I decreased my photoperiod and started to actively feed my corals and anemones. The anemones and the birdnest survived, my loved SSC died.

"Every man can be, if he tries, sculptor of his own brain", Santiago Ramón y Cajal
kainic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/13/2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Leopardshark
Registered Member

88 is still ok but IMHO that´s the absolute limit.
With me, even at 88° F acros would still be ok.
regards

Current Tank Info: 110 gal SPS tank, 3 G4 Pro Radions, Geo 618 calcium reactor, 2 x MP 40 Vortech, Vectra M return pump, Octopus Elite 200-int skimmer, APEX controller
Leopardshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 07:48 AM   #9
Wazzel
Registered Member

Just to follow up on this. Things are much better now. My colors are back to where I think they should be and things are growing again. This elevated temp issues set me back about 6 months in growth. My corals have grown more in the last few weeks than they did since about April.

The elevated temp also impacted my LPS. Lost a few heads of euphilla, but fortunately not the entire colonies. I did not realize my acans were also being impacted until I realized how nice they look now compared to how they did in July-Aug.

Unread 09/14/2017, 10:59 AM   #10
jda
Dogmatic Dinosaur

You did really well, considering... I have seen Euphilla melt to goo at 85 degrees. I guess that you did not get that hot, but probably pretty close.

Unread 09/14/2017, 11:51 AM   #11
Wazzel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jda View Post
You did really well, considering... I have seen Euphilla melt to goo at 85 degrees. I guess that you did not get that hot, but probably pretty close.
When I put the new heater on my tank the temp registered at 82 and that was not at the brightest part of my light cycle or the hottest part of the day. I suspect I was really close to a total loss.

Unread 09/14/2017, 12:29 PM   #12
murphreef
Registered Member

Extended periods of high heat can def F up your corals.

Temp is something often over looked but can get out of control. I accidentally left my fan off on my MH and tank got to 83 before I noticed luckily no long term damage that I am aware of bnut could have been bad.

I keep my tank around 78-79

Current Tank Info: 25G cube (finally back in the hobby in a small way)
murphreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 12:46 PM   #13
watchguy123
Registered Member

I have put my heaters on an annual replacement schedule because of my paranoia with them. They are one of the cheapest electrical components we have sitting in our tanks yet they manage a crucial parameter to our corals.

watchguy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/14/2017, 09:51 PM   #14
nashorn
Registered Member

I keep a few small wattage heaters in case one fails it may give me more time to notice and take action.
I also keep them on a ranco just in case.

nashorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/15/2017, 12:37 AM   #15
Potatohead
Registered Member

That's great to hear you figured it out. I have always run on the cooler side, 77.5-78 or so, I start to get nervous anything over 80. 85+ would be mayhem I imagine.

Potatohead is offline   Reply With Quote