Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > Coral Propagation and Aquaculture
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/17/2012, 10:02 AM   #1
socalmicskills
Registered Member

How do you light your farm?

I was wondering for those of you out there who have coral growout tanks if you have a preference on lighting? My growouts are only 12 inches deep so I am thinking that MH might be a little strong. I have 2 tanks that I am setting up for SPS, 1 for LPS, and one for softies. I think it would be a waste of money to use LEDs, because they penetrate so deep in the water. From all of my reading it appears the best spectrum to grow would be 10k, but I've seen places such as GARf use standard florescent bulbs from Home Depot. I also do have a nice frag tank with LEDs so that I can color them up before moving them. So, anyone with experience under any type of lighting in shallow tanks please feel free to respond. Thanks all, for your time.

socalmicskills is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aquaculture, business, propogation, selling