Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Do It Yourself
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/03/2018, 02:46 PM   #1
carnold5
Registered Member

Trying to Integrate an Under the Tank Refugium

So i've had a 90 gallon tank for about 10 months. For filtration, it has bio balls and if i remember right, this all came together as a kit so the filtration looks to have a proprietary design (i'll post a pic). It also has a skimmer that hangs on the back of the tank. The 'fuge will be a 10 gallon tank that i plan on using Plexiglas for compartment separation.

Which is the best, under tank or hang on back?

For under tank, do you see a way to keep using the existing filtration sump and use under tank refugium?

Will 10 gallon 'fuge be enough for a 90 gallon tank?

I wonder if under the tank is the way to go because the pods have to go through a pump to get into the main tank. I suspect they won't live through that?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0129.jpg (53.1 KB, 47 views)
carnold5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/03/2018, 04:57 PM   #2
RobZilla04
Registered Member

Have you considered upgrading that sump altogether? Perhaps take a 20g or 30g long and divide into chambers. That'll allow for an in sump skimmer which is probably the right size for the tank volume and a refugium all beanth the tank.

IMO I don't like hanging anything off the DT. Just looks tacky.

Unread 01/03/2018, 11:53 PM   #3
ratherbeflyen
Registered Member

That looks like a trickle tower that is typically used for fresh water systems. The downside to a trickle tower is the bacteria growing on the media will die if your return pump (drain line) is off for any period of time. Submerged media does the same thing without the risk of your nitrifying bacteria dying if your return pump fails or the power goes out. Can you add a 10 gallon tank that drains into your tank or sump, yes. Would I do that if I had your equipment, no. I would either modify your current sump, or build/buy a new one that had a refugium section built into it. It'll be safer for both leaks and less risk to your tank if the pump or power goes out.

ratherbeflyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 06:34 PM   #4
carnold5
Registered Member

I agree about hanging stuff on the tank but my budget right now might only allow for a HOB. I did look at upgrading that sump but they appear to be 300.00 and up!?! If i do get a new one and it has a compartment for in-sump skimmer, i can still use the existing HOB skimmer or do i have to use an in-sump skimmer? Where is the best place to buy a sump?

carnold5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 07:02 PM   #5
Reefpuck
Registered Member

Well if you DIY the sump yourself... it's much cheaper. You can buy a 20g long for $20 (look for petcos dollar per gallon sale)... then add baffles (either acrylic or glass) for another $20... and you essentially have the same sump as those pretty pre-made ones. You can even go all out and add a filter sock holder for $5 from eBay.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/04/2018, 07:04 PM   #6
Reefpuck
Registered Member

I actually got a 55g from petco during their sale and used that for my sump.

Current Tank Info: 90g mixed reef w/ 55g sump/fuge.
Reefpuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/07/2018, 02:34 AM   #7
laverda
Registered Member

Your trickle filter could easily be made into an ATS. Just hang some roughed up mesh so the water drips down them. You may need to drill more holes above the mesh and block some of the other holes in the trickle plate. Than light with red and blus LEDs. Total cost less then $50 depending on the light you chose and should easily handle the bio load of a 90 gallon tank.

Current Tank Info: 300g mixed reef, 50g cube
laverda is offline   Reply With Quote