Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Large Reef Tanks
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 04/20/2019, 06:12 PM   #2326
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Anyone have a source for nori in bulk?

Unread 04/21/2019, 11:09 AM   #2327
pfan151
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socaltoaz View Post
This stuff is what I use. Lasts a long time.

https://rawnori.com/collections/fron...sheets-50-pack

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2019, 09:11 PM   #2328
Higher Thinking
Registered Member

Quote:
I've always used this:

https://www.amazon.com/Nagai-Deluxe-.../dp/B007U29UYS

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

Higher Thinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/23/2019, 10:58 PM   #2329
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Thank you both.

Unread 05/06/2019, 12:08 PM   #2330
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

I just wanted to give an update on my tank and I hope I dont jinx myself. For the first time in a long time, everything is just humming. I had an issue where someone messed with my skimmer pumps and I was losing salinity cause the skimmer was overflowing - but I got that corrected.

Since then, everything is rock solid.

Temp is stable with my chiller between 76-77 degrees.
Salinity is stable at 1.024
All water levels are within ideal parameters
They mysterious fish deaths from a year or so ago have stopped- have not lost anything since we figured out it was ICH in the tank and that has been rectified
The quarantine tank is working as its supposed to. Nothing goes in the main display without a minimum of 2 weeks of QT. We transfer only when fish are eating well.

All in all- its taken some time for me but the tank is working the way its supposed to work. I owe you guys a full tank shot which I will get soon.

Unread 05/10/2019, 11:47 AM   #2331
Fish559
Registered Member

Pics/video or we won't believe you!

Fish559 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2019, 12:38 AM   #2332
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Put a big *** gray angel in today. Gonna take a few days before the fish start getting along. Blueface going in a few weeks. Will get a good video and post at that time.

Unread 06/01/2019, 02:28 AM   #2333
Klaus Jansen
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Couldn't do it without all of my great royal exclusive equipment.
Thank your for this nice Comment. Now i starting my private Tank 5 months ago, include royal exclusive Equipment.

best regards from germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQ2...w&index=2&t=0s

Klaus Jansen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2019, 07:22 AM   #2334
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaus Jansen View Post
Thank your for this nice Comment. Now i starting my private Tank 5 months ago, include royal exclusive Equipment.

best regards from germany

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bBQ2...w&index=2&t=0s

That is absolutely gorgeous Klaus. I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again- i love my RE equipment. My Dreambox sump is awesome. Makes my fishroon super special.

Unread 06/01/2019, 12:28 PM   #2335
Genetics
Registered Member

Any videos? Gorgeous house / aquarium / sump / cars / life by the way.

Current Tank Info: 15g Waterbox cube
Genetics is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/01/2019, 04:28 PM   #2336
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genetics View Post
Any videos? Gorgeous house / aquarium / sump / cars / life by the way.
Lol- I’m out of the country vacationing few a week or so. I keep saying I’ll get a video but honestly the only reason I haven’t is that this website makes it impossible to upload anything. I need to redownload tapatalk I think.

House is great. We almost sold it and decided to build a new home but decided against it.

Ferrari 488 is gone. Ferrari Pista coming in the fall/winter time. Factory has my build but it hasn’t started production yet.

I’m enjoying my mclaren 720 tremendously. It’s a beast of a car. Keeping it for now- May swap out for the LT version but not sure at the time. Sold my Porsche’s but I miss them. I’ll be getting back into a Porsche soon.

Other than that- just working hard, playing hard. Fish tank is finally doing great. Lots of early challenges that are now gone.

Thank you all for following along. I’m blessed but most importantly, my family is great. To me- that is more important than anything. My wife and kids are health and happy- what more could I ask for!

Unread 06/08/2019, 04:05 PM   #2337
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Here are a couple of crappy iPhone pics...

IMG_9801.jpgIMG_9802.jpgIMG_9803.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/08/2019, 05:37 PM   #2338
pfan151
Registered Member

Looking great. You’ve got a nice group of fish in there.

pfan151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2019, 06:10 PM   #2339
Bono
Registered Member

Sam, Congrats on selling the 488, that didn't seem to take to long. Do you have any interest in the Tesla Roadster? I've done some research and it looks amazing, just a little afraid to be one of the first.

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/09/2019, 11:59 PM   #2340
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Sam, Congrats on selling the 488, that didn't seem to take to long. Do you have any interest in the Tesla Roadster? I've done some research and it looks amazing, just a little afraid to be one of the first.
I’ve owned a Model S since 2015. I was driving it and then my wife took it and has been her daily driver. I think we just crossed 80k miles on it. Just passed it on to our daughter as she has a long daily commute.

My wife ordered the new Audi E Tron.

I owned a Model X. Drove it for a year and it was the biggest piece of crap I ever owned. Tesla bought it back from me.

As far as the roadster- I have zero interest in the car. The straight line speed will be mind boggling. But that’s it. The build quality on Tesla’s is horrible. The interior quality is also utter crap. And frankly I don’t think this car is ever going to make it to market.

Elon Musk lies every time he gets a chance. He is just full of it and has a history of making promises that never come to fruition.

Solar roofs?
Battery sap stations?
Electric semis?
35k model 3?

I could go on and on. Anytime the stock is in trouble- they make some bs announcement which buys them time and publicity.

Anyways- long story short, for 250k I can think of 2 dozen other car(s) I would buy over a Tesla Roadster.

Unread 06/10/2019, 06:12 AM   #2341
McPuff
Registered Member

Wow, the fish look big and happy!

The Pista should be a real joy. Hoping you post a pic or two of that when it arrives. Are you a Lambo fan at all? If so, ever considered a Diablo or Murcielago? Just curious as the latter has been a long time favorite of mine. One of the best sounding cars, period.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/10/2019, 09:40 PM   #2342
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Wow, the fish look big and happy!

The Pista should be a real joy. Hoping you post a pic or two of that when it arrives. Are you a Lambo fan at all? If so, ever considered a Diablo or Murcielago? Just curious as the latter has been a long time favorite of mine. One of the best sounding cars, period.
Nothing against Lambos. I love em. I’m an equal opportunity car fan. But have never owned a lambo. Almost bought a Performante is tear of the Mclaren but I didn’t fit. I’m 6’4” and sadly lambos aren’t made for tall guys. It was a tight fit.

But I have a few friends who have lambos- a performante, a regular Huracan and be guy has an aventador that he just sold.

I grew up with a family member who owns a Diablo and Murcilago but honestly never got any real seat time in them so can’t comment.

Right now there are so many manufacturers making so many great cars. Lots of choices out there and like I said- I’m brand agnostic and just a fan of all cars.

Unread 06/10/2019, 09:44 PM   #2343
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

IMG_9660.jpg

Here is a rendering of what my Pista will look like. This is not the actual car but mine will be Tour de France Blue with yellow accents.

So I found a pic of a Tour De France Pista and has a buddy photoshop the yellow stripes.

The car has been submitted to the factory but I don’t know if it’s a June, July or August build slot. Whenever it gets built, it’s 4 months after that.

Im hoping for October delivery.

Oh and yes, fish are fat and happy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 06/11/2019, 05:53 AM   #2344
McPuff
Registered Member

I absolutely love the colors! Is the interior going to match? Just saw one yesterday that was really similar even on the interior. I'm happy to help you break it in when it arrives. My dad lives out there so I could tell him that he's the actual reason I'm making the trip west. :0)

Unread 06/11/2019, 09:00 AM   #2345
Bono
Registered Member

Love the blue with the yellow accents. Not looking for a $ amount but did you have to pay the dealer for the allocation?

Current Tank Info: 210 gal, 300lbs LR, Aquamaxx Skimmer, 3x Reefbreeders LED's & T5's.
Bono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/11/2019, 06:59 PM   #2346
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
I absolutely love the colors! Is the interior going to match? Just saw one yesterday that was really similar even on the interior. I'm happy to help you break it in when it arrives. My dad lives out there so I could tell him that he's the actual reason I'm making the trip west. :0)
The interior is Dark blue Alcantara with yellow accents. And no I’m not a michigan fan. Just liked the color combo.

Unread 06/11/2019, 07:00 PM   #2347
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bono View Post
Love the blue with the yellow accents. Not looking for a $ amount but did you have to pay the dealer for the allocation?
No. I’m paying Msrp. I don’t play the ADM game. If they want to sell over sticker, they can sell it to someone else.

Unread 06/18/2019, 01:23 AM   #2348
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Now that my tank is rocking and rolling and everything is stable and I move got the fish that I’ve wanted from the beginning, angels mainly, I’m going to try to delve into some hardy coral. What are the odds my angels destroy the corals? No Sps for me- I want something g hardy.

I’m gonna try some leathers, Xenia, Kenya trees- something fast growing.

I’d love to throw some anenome in there but I think the angels would destroy it.

I’ve got a emperor, tench, gray, queen and a couple of smaller angels. Blueface incoming next week. The rest of the fish are reef safe tangs, clowns and other assorted reef fish.

Let’s see if I can’t add any soft hardy corals to add some movement to the tank.

Unread 06/18/2019, 07:52 AM   #2349
McPuff
Registered Member

Quote:
Now that my tank is rocking and rolling and everything is stable and I move got the fish that I’ve wanted from the beginning, angels mainly, I’m going to try to delve into some hardy coral. What are the odds my angels destroy the corals? No Sps for me- I want something g hardy.

I’m gonna try some leathers, Xenia, Kenya trees- something fast growing.

I’d love to throw some anenome in there but I think the angels would destroy it.

I’ve got a emperor, tench, gray, queen and a couple of smaller angels. Blueface incoming next week. The rest of the fish are reef safe tangs, clowns and other assorted reef fish.

Let’s see if I can’t add any soft hardy corals to add some movement to the tank.
I've always had luck with Ricordia Yuma mushrooms. They get big and are colorful. Have never had an angel or any other fish pick at them... probably because they can sting. Have had luck with cabbage leathers in the past but my current blueface started picking at them. Annularis did not. Can usually find someone giving away Xenia. GSP will survive but you need to carefully consider that one, along with the xenia in case they thrive and spread widely. I've seen and had angels that did very well with all kinds of soft corals. And I've had the opposite. Just give it all a try and see how it goes. They'll nip at it for sure upon first encounter. Best bet is to add large pieces and multiples at one time. This may help.

Try adding ricordia yuma mushrooms, cabbage leather, sinularia, devil's hand, xenia. Those are usually easy to find and worth a shot.

I'd first let the corals acclimate in your sump and then move them once they seem open and happy. Good luck!

Unread 06/23/2019, 07:45 PM   #2350
Socaltoaz
Registered Member

Would like to get opinions on filter socks. Have 13 socks in my dream box and my buddy is telling to ditch the socks completely and just vacuum the sump of detritus occasionally.

Just run my big fat skimmer and UV and that’s it.

Thoughts??