Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/20/2018, 06:28 PM   #1
Joshua I.
Registered Member

Bubble tip?

Hey guys so I'm in college now and I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank back home which I'm able to do some cleaning to about every month in it I have two cleaner shrimp two clown fish a coral beauty and a purple fire fish their doing fine and before I started the fall semester I added green star and other soft corals which are doing well. My question is though I was thinking of getting a decent sized bubble tipped anemone I saw at my LPS so with minimal cleaning and the stock in their will it be ok and what are your experiences with these guys. Thanks!

Joshua I. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

BTA required consistent, excellent water with parameters of NSW, a mature tank and moderate to strong lighting available.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/20/2018, 11:22 PM   #3
Cancun
Registered Member

+1.....good lighting.... excellent water conditions...stable parameters are a must with any nem. You might want to wait until you can be able to check on your tank daily.��

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 750 XXL
Cancun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 08:15 AM   #4
Cliving1
Registered Member

My concern with adding a bta and not being there all the time, is if it takes a walk and stings other corals or runs into a powerhead

Cliving1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/21/2018, 09:42 AM   #5
Joshua I.
Registered Member

I don't have power heads and most of the corals are on the sand bed like I have a bunch of bare rock for it not sure if it helps or not

Unread 01/22/2018, 10:05 AM   #6
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

You say that you have time to clean once per month.
Does this mean water changes are only done 1 per month?
What about evaporation?
Remember, water must be perfect, stable and mature, or it will die and foul the tank...

Unread 01/22/2018, 11:15 AM   #7
sde1500
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua I. View Post
Hey guys so I'm in college now and I have a 55 gallon saltwater tank back home which I'm able to do some cleaning to about every month in it I have two cleaner shrimp two clown fish a coral beauty and a purple fire fish their doing fine and before I started the fall semester I added green star and other soft corals which are doing well. My question is though I was thinking of getting a decent sized bubble tipped anemone I saw at my LPS so with minimal cleaning and the stock in their will it be ok and what are your experiences with these guys. Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshua I. View Post
I don't have power heads and most of the corals are on the sand bed like I have a bunch of bare rock for it not sure if it helps or not
So I made bold some concerning points. And really, my answer would be no. What do you do for flow if you don't have powerheads? Tanks benefit from stability, BTA's even though they are easier than some anemones, still need stability, and clean water.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2548422

Current Tank Info: 65 gallon mixed reef, Eshopps sump and HOB overflow, RO-110int skimmer, Reefbreeder 32" photons V1.
sde1500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 11:13 AM   #8
Joshua I.
Registered Member

I didn't get him I got a leather coral instead and ro and food is put in by a family member a water change is once a month

Unread 01/23/2018, 12:45 PM   #9
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Ok, got you now.
Leather is fine, likes strong light, medium flow, iodide at .03-.06ppm is helpful in shedding but not mandatory.

Unread 01/30/2018, 12:05 PM   #10
Joshua I.
Registered Member

thanks for the advice guys