Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2017, 09:24 AM   #151
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks SantaMonica. I'll have to do a search on that bay to see what critters reside there

JZ, I hope to have the funds to go forward soon. I'm in the middle of doing my taxes, so hopefully I'll get that return soon. My wife and I agreed that this tank is a priority, after we get our new well pump and well piping repaired! I could be collecting by May if all goes well!!!

Sorry for the delay again...it's killin' me

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Chasmodes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/04/2017, 05:45 PM   #152
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SantaMonica View Post
Wow really neat. Just like the edge of Choctawhatchee bay I lived on.
Did you ever keep native fish from there? I see it is near Panama City. Might have all 3 species of Chasmodes there!

--Kevin Wilson

Current Tank Info: 101g 3'X3'X18" Cubish Oyster Reef Blenny tank, 36"X17"X18" sump
Unread 02/04/2017, 10:54 PM   #153
SantaMonica
Registered Member

No I had no tanks there. Did not even like the bay

Unread 05/06/2017, 02:09 PM   #154
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Well, I finally have an update. I've ordered most of my equipment except plumbing supplies.
  • Current: Maxspect XF230 Gyre Generator Flow Pump with Advanced Controller
  • Return Pump: Sicce Syncra Silent 3.0 Multifunction Aquarium Pump (714 GPH)
  • Lighting: EcoTech Marine Radion XR30w G4 Pro LED Light Fixture
  • New test kits
  • RO/DI five stage from The Filter Guys

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/06/2017, 03:58 PM   #155
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Great stuff!

Current Tank Info: 180g Seagrass Sandbar Lagoon, START DATE November 28, 2018
Michael Hoaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/08/2017, 12:08 AM   #156
cfsg
Registered Member

great

cfsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05/12/2017, 07:19 AM   #157
Chasmodes
Registered Member

All of my stuff that was in stock when I ordered it came in the last couple days, so I'm very excited.

I need to finish up my other build this weekend, at least the part that I'm using my stand as a work bench for LOL, so I can finish the stand. My old miter saw is junk now, so I need to go out and buy a new one so I can finish the face frame of my stand. I also need to add my laminate to finish the look of the stand.

I also need to build my water changing station and make room in my basement for the final placement of everything. I'll need to make a hole in my wall between the rec room and the basement for my plumbing, etc.. That might freak my wife out a bit,

There was one item that was out of stock, but perhaps I'll get it within a month, which won't hold up anything. If I can't get it from my vendor, then I'll search for an alternative. It's really not a big deal.

So, making room in my basement will not be an easy task. I have to clean off my current "real" work bench and relocate it, clean off an entire heavy duty shelf of plastic storage containers and relocate it, relocate 2 smaller shelves and all of that stuff, do a ton of laundry to turn the dirty laundry mountain into a managable foothill, and build a stand for my changing station.

I was planning on making my water changing station totally gravity fed, but I think that I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a pump simply because it will save space, which is at a premium in my basement.

Who says you can't move mountains? It's possible, as long as it's only laundry

I also received a new dipnet called "The Perfect Dipnet", which is probably the most durable dipnet that you can buy. I'll be ready to stock this tank big time.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 05/12/2017, 07:38 AM   #158
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Sounds like things are starting to come together. That reminds me, I need to do a load of laundry! Get that basement cleaned up and the wife will get on board. I'm a big believer in establishing an accommodating ecosystem for the aquarist. Practical work space, comfortable tank viewing, etc. We have to take care of the most important species-ourselves.

Good luck and keep us informed!

Unread 05/12/2017, 07:52 AM   #159
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I think that the amount of laundry detergent that I'll need might exceed the cost of the new saw!

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/24/2017, 11:11 AM   #160
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I began collecting fish and inverts for my oyster reef tank. The only problem is that the main tank isn't done. I have work to do on my stand and a lack of time to do it, especially if I'm out collecting critters. I only have so much free time! So, it might be later this fall before I finally get to finish the tank, mostly because my weekends are booked. But also, it's collecting time, the fish are there, and I want them when my tank is ready and cycled.

So, what I've done is set up and cycled a 20 gallon long version of my reef, with a few of my smaller oyster cultches in there and...fish! I just couldn't wait any more. Now, I have a temporary holding tank that I can enjoy my new fish while I set the big tank up properly.

I'm very excited because, up until yesterday, all I had in there were 5 juvenile naked gobies (Gobiosoma bosc) and a small grass shrimp. Yesterday, I went collecting and found a couple juvenile striped blennies (Chasmodes bosquianus) and three skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus) and added them to my tank. I also added some Ulva sp. macroalgae and some razor clam shells that were prevalent at my collection site.

The tank looks great, but eventually everything in here will be transferred to the main tank. I'm not sure what I'll do with this tank, maybe either a seahorse/pipefish tank or perhaps a stickleback tank. I also have a 20 gallon high tank cycling now that I may use as a future holding tank.

Full tank shot, striped blenny in the right foreground:
[IMG]I guess I should think of this tank as "mini me" version of my oyster reef.[/IMG]

Naked goby (left) vs. striped blenny on the right (largest of my two blennies):
[IMG]I guess I should think of this tank as "mini me" version of my oyster reef.[/IMG]

Naked goby staking out an oyster shell:

A very quick video of my smallest blenny ducking for cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_ftCNW5BKg

Here's the larger of the 2 blennies checking things out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N-aoyeZNJr8

How about a naked goby territorial dispute? They'll just do some push ups, flare their gills, open their mouths wide, extend their fins all to make themselves appear larger and more intimidating...until one has had enough and chases the other off:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_KoxKHPyFmc

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/26/2017, 06:32 AM   #161
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Not long ago, the tank had a bunch of brown and green microalgae, not too bad and normal for a pretty young tank. But, now it's disappearing probably due to competition from the Ulva that I added recently.

Ammonia zero, nitrite zero, nitrate was 100 ppm on Saturday, down to 50 ppm now. I did a partial water change on Monday that helped that along too. I haven't noticed growth in the Ulva, so it's just a suspicion now of what I think is going on. We will see.

I hope to get some live sand to boost the copepod and worm population in the tank. The blennies love bloodworms. I also hope to get a couple more types of macroalgae along with amphipods to stock the tank. As I keep collecting, one goal would be to constantly bring home a source of live food for these critters.

The grass shrimp so far have been a pretty good cleanup crew. This should last until the blennies grow large enough to eat them.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/26/2017, 08:11 AM   #162
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Very cool! You need to collect while the collecting's good, so you're using a temporary tank in the meantime. Not sure why you can't also get the tank ready but as you said, you're booked. Good luck with your collecting. I hope you get everything you want.

Unread 07/26/2017, 10:49 AM   #163
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Very cool! You need to collect while the collecting's good, so you're using a temporary tank in the meantime. Not sure why you can't also get the tank ready but as you said, you're booked. Good luck with your collecting. I hope you get everything you want.
Thanks Michael. Yes, time is the issue now. Also, I ran into another problem with the big tank as I need a new electrical line installed for my sump. I have only one single location where I can put the sump in my basement, and there is zero electricity there. The basement doesn't have adequate outlets either, so, I need to get help for that. I'm afraid that I'll fry myself trying. Until then, I have to live through this tank.

More pics:
The smaller blenny:

The bigger blenny hiding in some Ulva. The light shining through makes him look martian green

Grass Shrimp:

The bigger blenny hiding in the oyster shells:

Night time:

FTS:

New videos:

Scanning the tank:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yr0WscGEiGs

The larger blenny hanging out in Ulva:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I0-GaGaP8RE&t=16s

The little blenny hanging out around his favorite shells:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GknHcVZt7BM

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 07/26/2017, 05:53 PM   #164
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Fun pics and vids!

How about skipping the sump? That solves your electrical issue and your overflow issue.

Unread 07/27/2017, 07:09 AM   #165
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Hoaster View Post
Fun pics and vids!

How about skipping the sump? That solves your electrical issue and your overflow issue.
Thanks Michael. I've considered doing that and may go that route. I can always plumb the sump in later. Another option would be to just place the sump in the same room as the tank. It wouldn't be as pretty, but, it would work.

On the bright side, my father-in-law is a retired electrician. If I can motivate him, perhaps he could oversee me doing the work. If... Otherwise, I'd have to pay someone to do it and right now, money is tight.

I also need to finish my stand. I just need to make time to do it. There are other priorities that are competing for my time, not just collecting. But trust me when I say that just having this 20g tank set up is motivating me even more to get that tank up and running. It's so cool, but it could be much better. I am learning more and more about the inhabitants, their needs, their behaviors every day, and that is so cool.

Last night, I fed them frozen mysis shrimp, which I thought would be a little big for them, so I only used 1/2 a cube. They went nuts and stuffed themselves silly. The mysis shrimp were about 3/4 the size of the little blenny and he ate one somehow. Also, you could see the white of the shrimp inside the gobie's buldging bellies. It was comical.

Another funny thing happened. The larger blenny was hovering about mid depth looking for a frozen mysis shrimp to eat, and one of the skilletfish swam up to him and tried to "cling" to the side of the blenny! It was hilarious. The blenny didn't seem to mind, but the skilletfish couldn't hang on and slid off. I've never seen that before and I've kept skilletfish before.

I'm not sure if I mentioned it or not, but there is a tiny mud crab hitchhiker that I found in the tank. I didn't intend to keep any. The blennies both attack the crab like it's their last meal, so I don't know how long it will live. So far, it still has all appendages and eyes intact, and has created a burrow under an oyster shell. Every time a fish or shrimp come near it, the crab scurries down the burrow. It reminds me of fiddler crab behavior on a marsh bank.

Another interesting thing is that the blennies seem to ignore the grass shrimp as potential meals. This might change as the blennies grow into adulthood. At least, I expect that. The grass shrimp are interesting to watch and are plentiful for me to get. So, if these fish eventually feed on them, that would be OK with me.

I also have a weird colony of something growing on the side glass. I saw a colony earlier and scraped it off. It was kind of calcarious and had some resistance when I scraped it off. I'll have to get a picture when it grows large enough. I think that they're hydroids perhaps, but not sure, could be bryozoans.

I'm going to try and collect again this weekend. I won't keep any more fish unless I get something ultra cool, but no more of the species that I already have. I'd like something to cruise the open water of the tank though. A spotfin butterflyfish would be my ultimate goal for that. But, the main reason to collect would be to get more macros, copepods and amphipods along with some live sand and maybe some mud to add to the tank.

--Kevin Wilson

Last edited by Chasmodes; 07/27/2017 at 07:23 AM.
Unread 07/27/2017, 12:03 PM   #166
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Yeah, putting a sump in the basement, means you have some serious head pressure to work against, driving up your pump cost a lot. Also, I remember you were having trouble deciding on your overflow setup. If you really are going the planted route, you don't need a sump. They are good for hiding heaters 'n stuff though. Couldn't you just put a sump in your stand?

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying your 'locals'. My blennies ignore tiny food like rotifers but go nuts for stuff that's half their size. It's crazy these little fish eat food so big. Seems like the smaller they are the bigger their mouths are. I'm also glad to hear they are motivating you to get your tank done!

Live sand and mud would be a great addition, especially if you get some seagrass. What do you have there, eelgrass? I think just about any plants you can collect would be great. I love the local biotope theme!

On my recent Europe trip, in Venice, I kept seeing cool macro algae floating around. I was so tempted to grab some and bring it home with me! But the thought of explaining myself to customs was enough of a deterrent.

Good luck collecting! A butterfly would be cool, but would it look natural in your setup? I considered some caribbean butterflies, but I think they would go after my precious worms, so I've just about written them off.

It's great that you're posting more now. Now that my tank is old news, it's great to see other guys stepping up. Bravo!

Unread 08/01/2017, 11:21 AM   #167
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael. I have an update but will post with pics and vids in the next couple posts after this.

My tank is just on the other side of the wall from where the sump will be, so head pressure isn't an issue. However, I do have to work out electricity and plumbing issues. I may go sumpless to start the tank up and add it later. It would be more convenient for water changes, etc. rather than lugging buckets around or running hoses into my rec-room. It will also add about 45g to the water volume, a good thing IMHO.

I added more Ulva and what I think is widgeon grass to the tank (which does well in sandy bottoms from what I've read), so we'll see how that goes. We have eelgrass and shoal grass, but I haven't seen any at my collecting spots yet. I don't think this light is adequate, so I'm not expecting much. I think all will be good in the big tank. If the macros and grass don't do well in this tank, then I can just replace it after another collecting trip as long as I keep up the water changes. I also added a bunch of whole oyster shells to the cultches, and whole clam and muscle shells shells to the tank that had a bunch of "life" growing on them as did the grass. I think this will help with the overall health of the tank, providing food and additional "native" bacterial from the collection site.

The largest blenny is king and was chasing the small one around like crazy, just wouldn't leave it alone. Then, all of a sudden, the next day, the larger blenny shows an aggressive posture to the small one, but the small one stand his ground now and the big one backs off. In fact, they sometimes hang together now. I added two more tiny blennies to the tank. They're in the chasing stage some, but not too bad. They will all settle down and tolerate each other soon. Maybe when they enter adulthood, they'll breed!

My blennies are juveniles but eat like adults at times. I like to watch them prior to
feeding because when they're hungry, at first they'll cruise the glass near me because they already associate me with food, but after they settle down, they go foraging relentlessly. It's cool to watch as they pick hydroids, worms and pods off the shells and rocks. They're antics are so fun, typical of many blennies, but unique in a way too.

The butterflyfish are fairly common further South where the salinity is a bit higher, so we will see. I haven't caught any tropical strays yet. So far, just killifish of all kinds, pipefish, american eels, silversides, skilletfish, 2 species of gobies, and the striped blennies. So, the butterflyfish will fit the biotope.

Update with pics and vid to come

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/01/2017, 11:34 AM   #168
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I added two more tiny juvenile blennies to the tank along with shells full of live out of the Bay, some macros and added widgeon grass (I think it is widgeon grass anyway). Widgeon grass does well in the wild on sandy bottoms, so well see. I picked up some floating by while we were collecting.

I'll post pics and a video. I added a bunch of whole oyster shells to my structure along with the macros and really think that the tank looks great. All of this will wind up in my 100g eventually, but for now, it's fun to watch.

I also added a circulation pump (upper LH corner of the tank) which really helps.

Here's a full tank shot:

Skilletfish upside down. Can you see him? These guys are comical and are my daughter's favorite now:

The largest striped blenny (Chasmodes bosquianus) in my tank. They really should rename the common name to skunk blenny because of the stripe down the front of their face from the dorsal fin. But, it's not my call! This guy is about 1.5" long and grows to about an average of 3", but up to 6" according to Fishbase. I have yet to catch one over 4" long.

Here he is again peeking out from an oyster shell.

The striped blenny again perched on the oyster cultch. You can distinguish blennies from the Genus Chasmodes from Hypsoblennius species because they are more laterally compressed:

Gobiesox strumosus, the skilletfish, attached to any oyster shell. I have five small ones in this tank.

A naked goby (left, Gobiosoma bosc) perched on an oyster shell next to a juvenile striped blenny. The widgeon grass is in the background. I'm actually still not sure about the seagrass ID, it's just a guess.

Chasmodes bosquianus peeking out of an oyster shell.

Notice the specialized ventral and pectoral fins of the skilletfish (Gobiesox strumosus) that allow it to cling to just about anything including shells, bottles, aquarium glass, fingers, and the inside of HOB filters! An interesting fact is that even after death, the specialized fins will stick to things. Moving forward seems to dislodge the suction, while pulling back causes the suction.

to be continued...

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/01/2017, 11:35 AM   #169
Chasmodes
Registered Member

The skilletfish is tough to see in this picture, blending in very well. See him?

And over the top he goes! Side view. This type of clingfish is called the skilletfish because of its pan like shape.

Frontal view of the striped blenny (left) and a naked goby (Gobiosoma bosc) under the oyster shell, perched on a razor clam.

And I'll end the post with a video showing the critters in action. Hope you like it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPuOkBYEPbc&t=29s

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/01/2017, 11:35 AM   #170
Chasmodes
Registered Member

One more picture that I forgot to add.

This is a juvenile striped blenny. Notice the different bold coloration of the juvenile, almost checkerboard like.

The other one in previous pics almost has an olive hue. They can change colors quickly, from a dark grayish to almost greenish. But, the adults seem to lose the ability to get this checkerboard look. I'll see if I can get a good picture of an adult that I collected to show you the difference.

It goes to show though, that when trying to ID blennies, colors aren't always the best way.

--Kevin Wilson

Last edited by Chasmodes; 08/01/2017 at 11:51 AM.
Unread 08/02/2017, 03:40 AM   #171
McPuff
Registered Member

This is a very cool system. I love those little blennies. :0)

And I just realized this is only a temporary system. The structure you've created looks great. I'm a bit jealous of the molly miller. I really want to get one.

McPuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/02/2017, 06:06 AM   #172
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks McPuff! Yep, everything including the critters, shells, plants, sand and structure will go into the big tank as soon as I finish my stand. Michael suggested not using the sump. I will go ahead and set it up sumpless to start, and plumb it in later.

My larger striped blenny does look a lot like a molly miller because he stuffs himself and takes on the greenish hue from sitting in the Ulva all of the time. But if you look at his nape, he lacks the thick matt of cirri (hair do) that molly millers have.

I kept a molly miller years ago and it was a great fish, tons of personality and very tough and hardy. There are a couple on-line vendors that sell them if you're in the market for them. For me to collect them, I'd have to travel to the Carolinas, I think. It's a little too cold up here for them.

Hypsoblennius hentz (feather blenny) is also found in the Chesapeake Bay, and I've collected a total of one of them in my life, kept it and was a great fish too. I'd love to get another some day when the big tank is set up. It resembles the molly miller even more. There is an outside chance to catch a crested blenny (Hypleurochilus geminatus) as they are sometimes found in the more Southern saltier stretches of the bay. Seaweed blennies (Parablennius marmoreus) also are sometimes caught down that way.

Maybe there's a molly miller down there too? I haven't heard of any, but tropicals sometimes stray to the Virginia Beach area. Anyone collect molly millers around Virginia Beach?

All of these blennies exhibit similar dietary needs, with Chasmodes preferring more meatier foods and molly millers a bit more omnivorous. But, they all have a ton of personality, enough to keep me entertained with their antics for hours each day. I can't wait to get home from work to observe them.

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/07/2017, 06:27 AM   #173
Chasmodes
Registered Member

I had about at least 15 grass shrimp in my tank and the number seems to be about half of that now. I saw the largest blenny attack and kill a small grass shrimp this past Wednesday just after I approached the tank. These fish are well fed. What I've noticed is that these fish recognize me as providing food and become very active, almost to the point of a feeding frenzy, when they pretty much attack anything that moves. It's not just the blennies, but all of the species seem to do this. Well, before I could drop any food in there, one of the small grass shrimp became a quick meal, killed by the biggest blenny but ultimately swallowed whole by a thieving skilletfish.

Well, yesterday, it happened again. I didn't capture the crime in progress, but I did manage to film all of the fish conspiring in the cover up to hide the evidence:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tB5hhOZc300

I also have some pics of some fish that I caught last week. These are larger adult striped blennies that are currently in a 20g high aquarium.

This striped blenny and skilletfish shared this oyster shell for about an hour without incident. In my other tank, that doesn't happen much. I'm sure if they were breeding it would be a different story:

--Kevin Wilson

Unread 08/07/2017, 10:10 AM   #174
Michael Hoaster
Registered Seaweedist

Wow, you've been busy! Totally freaking awesome! Great pics and the tank looks great and your fish are awesome. I love the new scaping you've done too. There was one pic I had to stare at for a while before I spotted the fish.

Adding assorted 'life' is a good thing! Worms and pods and other sand-dwelling creatures will help process detritus into plant food.

Great job!

Unread 08/08/2017, 07:20 AM   #175
Chasmodes
Registered Member

Thanks Michael.

Last night as I approached the tank, all of the fish came to the front begging for food. I fed them frozen brine shrimp. The smallest blenny sat on my finger at the water surface and ate, claiming first dibs. I've nicknamed him "Tiny Tim". They all had fat bellies after feeding time.

The hydroids (I think that is what they are) have grown quite a bit, forming a snowflake like shape. It looks cool. I'll have to take a picture of it.

There are also things growing off the new shells that I added that look like a brown macroalgae of some type. I am pretty sure that they aren't hydroids or bryozoans, because it looks soft, but I'm not sure it's algae either. It grows in a branch like pattern. I'll take a pic of it and post it here and see if anyone can ID it.

One of the skilletfish tried to cling to the largest goby again. Those guys are comical and much more active than the one that I kept years ago, maybe because I have 5 of them now instead of one. They kind of remind me of the Monopoly game character, only flattened into a skillet shape!

--Kevin Wilson