Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/03/2011, 02:33 PM   #1
flighttime42
Registered Member

Does curing live rock really need a heater?

I have some live rock curing in a bucket with a heater and an air pump. I had to steal the heater and place it in my quarantine tank because I acquired some new fish for my other tank. I'm just wondering if I should actually go out and buy another heater or just wait 2 weeks or so until the fish are out of quarantine. Will the live rock be ok without the heater? Will it slow down the curing process? The room temperature is about 70 degrees.

Thanks

flighttime42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 02:36 PM   #2
peasofme
Registered Member

yes

peasofme is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 02:36 PM   #3
Allmost
Moved On

well 70 is not lethal, deaths start to happen at 62 under.

but lower temps, lower the metabolism of the organisms and bacteria you are trying to cycle.

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 02:41 PM   #4
mc-cro
(macro)

I had rock cooking in the basement for about the last 2 weeks with no heater, the water averaged around 65*, maybe even colder on some nights. I didnt notice a smell that most people talk about with cooking rock. fwiw, I did find a very large turbo snail in the rubber maid container, he must have been hidden down deep in the rock. Anyways, he was fine with no heater. I did pull him and thrown him back in the main tank.

so I decided to go ahead and put a heater in it last week, and I have noticed that I am starting to get the cooking rock smell. Maybe coincidence, maybe the bacteria needed the heat to get them really moving.

Current Tank Info: 60x26x24 AGE 3 sided starphire
mc-cro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 03:05 PM   #5
flighttime42
Registered Member

Alright. Thanks for the quick replies.

flighttime42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2011, 03:11 PM   #6
Allmost
Moved On

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc-cro View Post
I had rock cooking in the basement for about the last 2 weeks with no heater, the water averaged around 65*, maybe even colder on some nights. I didnt notice a smell that most people talk about with cooking rock. fwiw, I did find a very large turbo snail in the rubber maid container, he must have been hidden down deep in the rock. Anyways, he was fine with no heater. I did pull him and thrown him back in the main tank.

so I decided to go ahead and put a heater in it last week, and I have noticed that I am starting to get the cooking rock smell. Maybe coincidence, maybe the bacteria needed the heat to get them really moving.
Curing you mean right ?

and your observation is correct, that's why we keep Phyto and bacteria cultures in the fridge to slow down their metabolism, so they use less O2 and produce less waste and ... they basically go into hibernation .

Allmost is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
curing, heater, live rock, quarantine, temperature