Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/05/2017, 11:42 AM   #1
Ohmsford
Registered Member

20H Reef Rebuild - Options

Hi all,

I have a 20g high reef that I have ignored for the last couple of years due to a cyano/hair algae plague I could not control. My last fish (yellow watchman goby) died, where I decided its time to rebuild.

I don't want to make the same mistakes I always seem to run into with poorly performing LPS and the eventual losing battle with cyano and/or hair algae.

Plan is to replace all sand w/20lbs live CaribSea and use some of the live rock, supplemented with dry rock. Not sure if I should reuse the current live rock as I am worried if it will leach phosphates into the new tank. Want to eventually keep 2 clowns, and 2-3 other fish, and a variety of LPS.

My current setup is listed below with my proposed changes, please comment if you see any potential weaknesses or improvements:

- Overhang surface skimmer into a 10g sump, via return through PVC spray bar. Sump has some GAC / GFE and heater. Can't stand how much space the surface skimmer takes up, and creates dead flow spots.
Propose to replace sump system with a HOB Filter to run added GAC / GFO (Any recommendations in brand/gph?)

- CPR Backpack skimmer w/airstone mod
Propose to keep

- 65w 50/50 PC lighting
Propose to replace with Current USA Orbit 24-36" LED

- No current powerheads
Propose to add powerheads for flow (Any recommendations on brand/qty?)

- Instant Ocean w/RO water
Propose to change to Instant Ocean Reef Crystals

- As for water changes, I plan on performing a 25% change every 2 weeks.

I would appreciate any comments, suggestions.

Ohmsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 04:56 PM   #2
zooman72
Registered Member

1. Current live rock probably has a lot of surface-bound phosphate, so either a bleach/ rinse series or a brief acid-wash might be worthwhile.

2. Can either get a drill/ install skim box (Eshopps small for example) or go HOB, and an AquaClear 5070 would provide flexibility (InTank modular insert even more so).

3. There are better HOB skimmers than the CPR - investigate the AquaMaxx HOB for example.

4. Huge variety in powerheads, so 1-2 of Hydor Koralia, Tunze Nano, etc. would work, as would an EcoTech MP10 (check used listings for savings), or the upcoming IceCap Gyre 1K. Simply depends on what you want to spend, similar to the skimmer noted above.

5. Current Marine Orbit will work well enough for LPS corals, and is not as expensive as other lights might be. It has minimal features and power, but is probably sufficient - works better is shallow tanks (under 12"), but should be OK for your 16" depth. If you need more, the discontinued Orbit Pro has secondary optics which will project light further, but is otherwise similar (and around the same price now).

6. Reef Crystals should meet the needs of your LPS (with regular water changes), and your water change schedule looks good to start, and should be adjusted as needed (i.e. as wastes build and/ or trace elements, alkalinity decline).

7. Two smaller clowns coupled with 2-3 smaller fish (gobies, blennies, smaller dottybacks, etc.) would probably be the maximum bioload for a 20g aquarium.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/05/2017, 11:07 PM   #3
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Here is how I had my old 20H setup and it did great. 10g sump with fuge in center cention, skimmer in drain section, skimmer was a Coralife SS65 ran in sump but I would not use one with much better choices now, hob overflow, maxijet 900 power heads for flow, 150w mh clamp on light. Weekly 2 gallon water changes and dosing cal and alk when needed wss all I did and that setup ran great and stayed clean, great lps and sps nicely as well. So I would get a betrer in sump skimmer, clean up everything, new sand and LR, add a chaeto lit fugenor crytic fuge for bio filteration.

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Ohmsford
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooman72 View Post
1. Current live rock probably has a lot of surface-bound phosphate, so either a bleach/ rinse series or a brief acid-wash might be worthwhile.

2. Can either get a drill/ install skim box (Eshopps small for example) or go HOB, and an AquaClear 5070 would provide flexibility (InTank modular insert even more so).

3. There are better HOB skimmers than the CPR - investigate the AquaMaxx HOB for example.

4. Huge variety in powerheads, so 1-2 of Hydor Koralia, Tunze Nano, etc. would work, as would an EcoTech MP10 (check used listings for savings), or the upcoming IceCap Gyre 1K. Simply depends on what you want to spend, similar to the skimmer noted above.

5. Current Marine Orbit will work well enough for LPS corals, and is not as expensive as other lights might be. It has minimal features and power, but is probably sufficient - works better is shallow tanks (under 12"), but should be OK for your 16" depth. If you need more, the discontinued Orbit Pro has secondary optics which will project light further, but is otherwise similar (and around the same price now).

6. Reef Crystals should meet the needs of your LPS (with regular water changes), and your water change schedule looks good to start, and should be adjusted as needed (i.e. as wastes build and/ or trace elements, alkalinity decline).

7. Two smaller clowns coupled with 2-3 smaller fish (gobies, blennies, smaller dottybacks, etc.) would probably be the maximum bioload for a 20g aquarium.
Thanks for the advise. I won't chance using any of the live rock - I want this to project to go right, otherwise I may have to concede defeat once and for all. I have plenty of dry rock I have kept from other failed attempts and will bleach the current live rock and lay it out with the other dry to put together a planned aquascape.

I am sick of the sump, noisy (tank in bedroom), and has limited height access for a sump skimmer. A HOB filter is really appealing. I see the Aquaclear mentioned a lot, is it because of the box size for using filter media? I was thinking of a Whisper Power Filter because of the price, and experience with it on my other tank - just worried about how much GAC / GFO media I can put in.

I have to stick with the CPR skimmer for now, as I am trying to keep the expenses low with new lights, HOB filter, and powerheads.

I really love clowns and will definitely get a pair of ocellaris, a royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby.

Ohmsford is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/06/2017, 09:26 PM   #5
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohmsford View Post
Thanks for the advise. I won't chance using any of the live rock - I want this to project to go right, otherwise I may have to concede defeat once and for all. I have plenty of dry rock I have kept from other failed attempts and will bleach the current live rock and lay it out with the other dry to put together a planned aquascape.

I am sick of the sump, noisy (tank in bedroom), and has limited height access for a sump skimmer. A HOB filter is really appealing. I see the Aquaclear mentioned a lot, is it because of the box size for using filter media? I was thinking of a Whisper Power Filter because of the price, and experience with it on my other tank - just worried about how much GAC / GFO media I can put in.

I have to stick with the CPR skimmer for now, as I am trying to keep the expenses low with new lights, HOB filter, and powerheads.

I really love clowns and will definitely get a pair of ocellaris, a royal gramma, and a yellow watchman goby.
No problem, glad to help.

The AquaClear offers a much larger and more flexible media chamber, and doesn't require replacement mechanical filter "bags" - the sponge can be squeezed/ rinsed and reused (for years possibly), and a simple media bag or two allows one to use various media or varying amounts (if necessary). I typically run SeaChem PhosGuard and either Matrix carbon (or you can just run SeaGel, which is a mix of PhosGuard and Matrix) or Rox 0.8 carbon.

The CPR will work, but it is just a dated design IMO and typically less efficient than newer models. However, if you already have it, than use it until you can save up for a newer model...

Good luck.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/08/2017, 10:04 PM   #6
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Aqua clear filters are great I love them best hob filter for sure. If you must go hob get the 70g or 110g model, larger the better for increased water volume, filter media and bio filteration. The 70 or 110 will provide a nice wide flow as well. This is a nice addition https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01M10XQOJ...a-309135779227

DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote