Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 12/11/2017, 05:52 PM   #1
cvpis4me
Registered Member

Update to my aquarium plan, critiques welcome!

I posted last week about planning a 54g corner aquarium and everyone was very helpful in tweaking my plan! Here's my update

We ended up purchasing a 65g standard aquarium since many users said that the corner aquarium is hard for sumps. I changed the fish plan to:
- 2 clownfish (ocellaris instead of maroon)
-1 exquisite firefish
-1 Orange Stripe Pawn Yellow Watchman goby
-Pistol Shrimp friend for the goby
-1 Tailspot or Two Spot Blenny
-2 or 3 Blue Reef Chromis

From what I've read about the chromis they like to be in groups which is why I considered getting 3, even though they get pretty big. I'm fine with getting 2 or just 1 as long as they do well. If I need 3 I'd also consider just getting one clownfish but I would like my clownfish to have a friend

I found someone on Craigslist selling dry rock from their saltwater aquarium (50 lbs for $75). Would it be problematic to have used rock like this in a new tank? Can I combine some of this rock with a few pieces of live rock from the LFS?

cvpis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 06:08 PM   #2
HBtank
Premium Member

I say only one Blue Reef Chromis. I found mine to be more on the aggressive end of the spectrum (I think it gets lumped in with all "Chromis" in terms of temperament).

In fact, the most aggressive fish I have ever owned in 40 years of aquariums was a adult Blue Reef Chromis which I decided to give some "buddies" to. It was a horrific outcome; and this fish was also ultimately aggressive towards all species.... like a little 4" blue tuna of hate.

I think it is one of those fish people want to think are "schooling" but is more aggressive than people realize when fully grown, or you get a grumpy individual (or don't have 5-7+ in a large aquarium to disperse aggression).

I am adding one to my re-started tank this week. Love the fish, very unique in the blue coloration, and takes up the upper open areas of the aquarium. But only ONE

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA
HBtank is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 06:21 PM   #3
cvpis4me
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
I say only one Blue Reef Chromis. I found mine to be more on the aggressive end of the spectrum (I think it gets lumped in with all "Chromis" in terms of temperament).

In fact, the most aggressive fish I have ever owned in 40 years of aquariums was a adult Blue Reef Chromis which I decided to give some "buddies" to. It was a horrific outcome; and this fish was also ultimately aggressive towards all species.... like a little 4" blue tuna of hate.

I think it is one of those fish people want to think are "schooling" but is more aggressive than people realize when fully grown, or you get a grumpy individual (or don't have 5-7+ in a large aquarium to disperse aggression).

I am adding one to my re-started tank this week. Love the fish, very unique in the blue coloration, and takes up the upper open areas of the aquarium. But only ONE
I wasn't aware that they can get aggressive. I chose the blue reef specifically because most sites say that their temperament is peaceful. Was it peaceful before you added his buddies?

cvpis4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12/11/2017, 06:31 PM   #4
HBtank
Premium Member

As for the rock, dry rock will need to be cycled (and you could do that along with live rock) without any livestock like any other rock.

My only concern with dry rock from someone random is you do not know how "dirty" it is, both in how long you would cycle it (just bio material on it), or if it was in some phosphate loaded tank that will leach for years, medicated,.. etc.

But sometimes you can get some nice pieces! I would base that decision on how cool the rock is (i.e. plates, caves, etc..), I don't know if saving a buck per pound is worth it if it is not even interesting to begin with.

Current Tank Info: 80g tank, re-starting a reef after a zoanthid nudibranch plauge, followed by months of steady and unstoppable STN/RTN, crashed; stayed FOWLR for a couple years, currently an aiptasia dominated reef tank with fishies and BERGHIA

Last edited by HBtank; 12/11/2017 at 06:49 PM.
Unread 12/11/2017, 06:47 PM   #5
HBtank
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvpis4me View Post
I wasn't aware that they can get aggressive. I chose the blue reef specifically because most sites say that their temperament is peaceful. Was it peaceful before you added his buddies?
He was tolerable, but was becoming the dominant fish in the tank (mostly food dominance).

I might have had the worst individual ever, but my gut tells me that they are more like their damsel brethren than other chromis. I do not think they are a real problem with other fish, but I was left certain that in no way do they need to be in groups.

I personally think many of the "group" recommendations for marine fish are tricky in 4' or smaller tanks; unless a fish pairs, I think smaller tanks are best left to individuals. You will often see recommendations of "odd numbers, and 3 or more" for fish like these, and that is simply admitting that only 2 is not enough to disperse their intra-species aggression. I would only go for a group if I was at 5-7+ and a tank to match.

Unread 12/23/2017, 11:16 AM   #6
Microcosmos
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBtank View Post
My only concern with dry rock from someone random is you do not know how "dirty" it is, both in how long you would cycle it (just bio material on it), or if it was in some phosphate loaded tank that will leach for years, medicated, etc.
+1

I wouldn’t trust used LR, especially for the risk that copper medication may have been used.

As for your fish choices the only concern is the “schooling” Chromis. It may work out, I’d be willing to try three if I were starting a new tank, but don’t be shocked if they start picking on each other. 65 is a nice tank size but I have a 120 and my “peaceful” Bangaii Cardinals are not getting along to the point that one of the three I added at the same time is dead (fins shredded too) and a second one hides in the corner. The bully struts around the tank and doesn’t bother other fishes, and I feel like I should have just gotten one at this point but it can be hard to tell how any fish will react when in a confined space with other fishes. I have a feeling that if I had a bigger tank I may have had better luck.

As for the rest of your fishes, both firefish and sandsifting gobies are definitely “jumpers” and will need a tight-fitting lid. The Ocellaris should play nice, especially if they are fairly small when you add them. I love little Blennies and they get along well too.

Microcosmos is offline   Reply With Quote