Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/11/2009, 09:47 PM   #101
leonel04
Premium Member

Just to let let you all know the list of skimmers I had, ER 100, Octo Pro 250 w/Askoll 1500 pump, ATI BM 200, BK Mini 180 and The latest, the best and the least expensive of all so far I-Tech 100 Small..

Thanks,

Leo

leonel04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/11/2009, 10:20 PM   #102
Milhouse
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by leonel04
Just to let let you all know the list of skimmers I had, ER 100, Octo Pro 250 w/Askoll 1500 pump, ATI BM 200, BK Mini 180 and The latest, the best and the least expensive of all so far I-Tech 100 Small..

Thanks,

Leo
That's a lot of skimmers. So do you have the small running on the 125? I'm assuming you are using a Sedra 3500. What size tank do you think the small is good up to? Hopefully they'll have some more smalls ready this week.

Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2009, 07:33 AM   #103
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

I'm on the edge... Want to put in my order for a small, but still unsure of the overall footprint.

If I run a sicce, could I do it in a 13x12" compartment?

SHOmuchFUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2009, 07:52 AM   #104
CMcNeil
Registered Member

The medium should fit a 12x13 space.

Unread 01/12/2009, 07:36 PM   #105
GrouperGenius
Liscensed Unit

Quote:
Originally posted by SHOmuchFUN
I'm on the edge... Want to put in my order for a small, but still unsure of the overall footprint.

I have a medium and the footprint is much less than that. The small should fit with ease.

Unread 01/12/2009, 07:45 PM   #106
GQuinn
Registered Member

Quote:

Would the Sicce be to much for the small? They are recommending a Sedra 3500 or a Aquabee 2001 on the small.

Gary

Last edited by GQuinn; 01/12/2009 at 08:27 PM.
GQuinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2009, 08:01 PM   #107
leonel04
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GQuinn
Would the Sicce be to much for the small? They are reccomending a Sedra 3500 or a Aquabee 2001 on the small.

Gary
Yes it is...

Unread 01/12/2009, 08:09 PM   #108
flat broke
Registered Member

A pinwheel Sicce or a meshed one? Depending upon the operating depth, pinwheel, and reducer, some people are only seeing 20scfh on the Sicces.

Chris

Current Tank Info: 45 Cad Lights shallow with mixed corals. Reef Breeders LED, SCA 302, WP25, WP10, , AC jr. etc... To think that someone told me this hobby could be kept simple ;)
flat broke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/12/2009, 09:08 PM   #109
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes it is...
leonel, what are you using on your small that makes it better than a BK180

Unread 01/12/2009, 09:41 PM   #110
Milhouse
Registered Member

Quote:
leonel, what are you using on your small that makes it better than a BK180
I think he said he was using a Sedra a few pages back. I'd assume the 3500 since that's what they recommend.

I was told that the footprint of the small with a pump is "slightly under 12x8". Which is perfect for me. I will be using a mesh modded Sedra 3500 on mine, since that's what I use on my ASM G1X. I doubt it will make much of a difference since I've heard people say that mesh modding them doesn't do much(I think it's better than it was, so I dunno). After seeing his pics I'm pretty excited about what mine might do.

Milhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 06:38 AM   #111
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

I'm always very skeptical when some of us reefers post skimmer pics for comparison. there's no doubt that we are all talking about a cylindrical piece of acrylic that emits bubbles but
comparing skimmate over 3 days and posting pics is far from real in fact is just simply inadequate.

Its hard for me to believe big companies that spend tons of $$ in R&D can get this wrong and some small one-2 man operations can get it better with little or no experience.

Not much to buildig a skimmer in fact pretty much everything can skim. But the CS and quality of materials as well as durability and so forth makes the difference IMHO.

Buying a skimmer is like buying a car some people like the latest greatest new convertible with all the new kinks and problems, some others like their old truck that has all of them problems worked out and does what it is supposed to.

Over the years I've found many designs that do what they are supposed to and really like DD's as well as becketts, then needlewheels becasme the fab....

Recently installed a mini BK200 and it does what its supposed to do. is it better than any of my old DD's maybe maybe not, is much more effieicent and trouble free. Does it produce more skimmate over 3 days head to head the answer is I can make any skimmer look better than any other by fine tuning it LOLOLOL.

After the fab comes and goes ( example Spazz volcanoes and many many others over the years) guys and companies like GEO/deltec/BK/Tunze/ and many others will always be around to continue their R&D( reseacrh and development) and provide customer service and great quaility products.

just my 2 cents.

Current Tank Info: Officially lurking!
gasman059 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 07:46 AM   #112
leonel04
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by gasman059
I'm always very skeptical when some of us reefers post skimmer pics for comparison. there's no doubt that we are all talking about a cylindrical piece of acrylic that emits bubbles but
comparing skimmate over 3 days and posting pics is far from real in fact is just simply inadequate.

Its hard for me to believe big companies that spend tons of $$ in R&D can get this wrong and some small one-2 man operations can get it better with little or no experience.

Not much to buildig a skimmer in fact pretty much everything can skim. But the CS and quality of materials as well as durability and so forth makes the difference IMHO.

Buying a skimmer is like buying a car some people like the latest greatest new convertible with all the new kinks and problems, some others like their old truck that has all of them problems worked out and does what it is supposed to.

Over the years I've found many designs that do what they are supposed to and really like DD's as well as becketts, then needlewheels becasme the fab....

Recently installed a mini BK200 and it does what its supposed to do. is it better than any of my old DD's maybe maybe not, is much more effieicent and trouble free. Does it produce more skimmate over 3 days head to head the answer is I can make any skimmer look better than any other by fine tuning it LOLOLOL.

After the fab comes and goes ( example Spazz volcanoes and many many others over the years) guys and companies like GEO/deltec/BK/Tunze/ and many others will always be around to continue their R&D( reseacrh and development) and provide customer service and great quaility products.

just my 2 cents.
I do understand your point And respect your personal opinions. The reason i do this like post pics, is to share with others my experiences with equipment and by saying that the I-tech is better than the BK that's how i feel, I'm not trying to convince people it is, hard to believe that a $200 skimmer is better than $1000 skimmer.

Well I'm not afraid to say it, that my $200 skimmer has performed better than my $300, $575, $640, $1050 Skimmers..

Thanks..

Leo

Unread 01/13/2009, 08:33 AM   #113
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

Quote:
I do understand your point And respect your personal opinions. The reason i do this like post pics, is to share with others my experiences with equipment and by saying that the I-tech is better than the BK that's how i feel, I'm not trying to convince people it is, hard to believe that a $200 skimmer is better than $1000 skimmer.

Well I'm not afraid to say it, that my $200 skimmer has performed better than my $300, $575, $640, $1050 Skimmers..

Thanks..

Leo
You have to admit though, it is a bit hard to understand how a cone skimmer with just a sedra 3500 can outperform say, your Octo-Pro with the Askoll pump running on it... Or the BK180 for that matter. There may be other factors involved that had your I-tech skimming before the BK180 had a shot.

I'm all for the progress and competition of products in this hobby because god knows just how expensive it is for some of the equipment we buy for our reef tanks... But I want to be sure we're dealing with a fair deck before passing judgement just yet. I know you can only comment on what you've experienced, but I'm still on for the ride with my finger on a tight trigger.

Unread 01/13/2009, 09:35 AM   #114
mcliffy2
Registered Member

Quote:

Who needs R&D when you let someone else do it for you, then replicate their researched design not judging, just saying....

Unread 01/13/2009, 10:53 AM   #115
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

LOL
The best form of flattery is copy I guess.

Unread 01/13/2009, 11:05 AM   #116
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by mcliffy2
Who needs R&D when you let someone else do it for you, then replicate their researched design not judging, just saying....
You make it sound like this is a new concept...

Unread 01/13/2009, 11:35 AM   #117
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
Yes it is...
How small is the small? My sicce powered small ATB rocks

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
GSMguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 11:39 AM   #118
SHOmuchFUN
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
How small is the small? My sicce powered small ATB rocks
22" tall, 6" base, 2 3/4" neck.

the medium seems more in-line with ATB's small... The medium has an 8" base and 3.5" neck. The recommended pump on the i-tech medium is actually a sicce.

So if you want to compare the i-tech with the ATB, as I'm sure you do GSM It's probably a more fair comparison to choose the i-tech medium to the ATB small.

Unread 01/13/2009, 11:42 AM   #119
GSMguy
Registered Member

Gasman Is it really that hard to beleive? Look at the BK mini the reaction chamber is smaller so is the bubble plate. The pump might be huge but it relies on the neck to do all the work.

Why does everyone assume the mini BK will perform as well as the large BKs? There are obvious comprimises in the design to get the small footprint.

Even with the same pump the SM 200 will skim circles around the mini 200.

Current Tank Info: 48"x27"x14" Envision Acrylic rimless, 6x39w ATi Sunpower, Custom ATB Deluxe Skimmer, 4x tunze nano stream,ATB flowstar 1500, ACJR, Tunze osmolator.
Unread 01/13/2009, 11:44 AM   #120
GSMguy
Registered Member

Quote:
22" tall, 6" base, 2 3/4" neck.

the medium seems more in-line with ATB's small... The medium has an 8" base and 3.5" neck. The recommended pump on the i-tech medium is actually a sicce.

So if you want to compare the i-tech with the ATB, as I'm sure you do GSM It's probably a more fair comparison to choose the i-tech medium to the ATB small.
Werd that makes sense, I guess their small was based on the original wtb small AKA the nano.

Unread 01/13/2009, 11:59 AM   #121
Radar1
Registered Member

The ATB nano cone is close to the I-tech small I think. Problem is that the ATB Nano cone is only $50 less than the small.

Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 01:19 PM   #122
gasman059
The OG mad scientist

Quote:
Originally posted by GSMguy
Gasman Is it really that hard to beleive? Look at the BK mini the reaction chamber is smaller so is the bubble plate. The pump might be huge but it relies on the neck to do all the work.

Why does everyone assume the mini BK will perform as well as the large BKs? There are obvious comprimises in the design to get the small footprint.

Even with the same pump the SM 200 will skim circles around the mini 200.
No Bud not hard to believe at all LOL. I'm not implying that they work as well b/c they two different designs.
Just seems like its gonna be one of those designs tha will come and go b/c of lack of CS and so forth.

Has anybody heard of spazz lately!

Unread 01/13/2009, 07:00 PM   #123
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Sorry for the dumb

moondoggy4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/13/2009, 07:00 PM   #124
moondoggy4
Registered Member

Sorry for the dumb