Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2018, 08:26 PM   #1
eder10986
Registered Member

Hanging ATI light. Help! Pics included.

So wife and I want to hang out light from the ceiling. I’m hey familiar with ATIs hanging kit. However, I have never actually hung out light. Thus I’m not looking for help with the kit but rather measurements and such to hang the light.

Concerns include:

How to center wires on ceiling so light hangs centered

How to measure on my particular ceiling given it’s shape

Our tank is 48x24x31 for reference. Light fixture is a 36” ATI.

You can see how our ceiling is angled in one part. Any help or step by step measuring process so I only make two holes on ceiling would be stellar! Please see pics for reference.

eder10986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 08:35 PM   #2
elFloyd
Registered Member

Just hung a 65” Pacific Sun fixture. I used a plumb bob to help locate where the screws should be located on the ceiling. Shouldn’t matter if the ceiling is slanted.

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 09:03 PM   #3
eder10986
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elFloyd View Post
Just hung a 65” Pacific Sun fixture. I used a plumb bob to help locate where the screws should be located on the ceiling. Shouldn’t matter if the ceiling is slanted.

That’s a great idea. I was thinking laser but a plumb bob would be better as it is more “physical”

So if I use a plumb bob how did you know where you wanted the holes exactly? I am so much better at other things!

What I mean is how did you know that where the bob hung is where the fixture would be centered? Step by step would be amazing!

Unread 02/19/2018, 09:27 PM   #4
elFloyd
Registered Member

I’ll try....

First get some masking, or painter’s tape. Put pencil/pen marks on the tape, not the ceiling or tank. Easier to clean up.

Your tank is 24” front to back. Put a piece of tape along the edge of the tank and mark it at 12” (front to back center).

You get on the ladder and hang the plumb bob from the ceiling. Your wife is making sure the PB is over the center mark. Put a piece of tape under your thumb and mark where the string touches the ceiling. Repeat for the other side of the tank.

Since the tank is 48” and the fixture is 36”, you will need to measure 6” from each ceiling mark toward the center of the tank and make another mark on the ceiling (48” - 36” = 12”. 12” / 2 = 6”). Repeat on the other side of the tank.

This will leave you with four marks on the ceiling centered over your tank. The two inside marks should be 36” apart. This is where you want to put your ceiling mounts.

Does that help?

elFloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 10:46 PM   #5
eder10986
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elFloyd View Post
I’ll try....

First get some masking, or painter’s tape. Put pencil/pen marks on the tape, not the ceiling or tank. Easier to clean up.

Your tank is 24” front to back. Put a piece of tape along the edge of the tank and mark it at 12” (front to back center).

You get on the ladder and hang the plumb bob from the ceiling. Your wife is making sure the PB is over the center mark. Put a piece of tape under your thumb and mark where the string touches the ceiling. Repeat for the other side of the tank.

Since the tank is 48” and the fixture is 36”, you will need to measure 6” from each ceiling mark toward the center of the tank and make another mark on the ceiling (48” - 36” = 12”. 12” / 2 = 6”). Repeat on the other side of the tank.

This will leave you with four marks on the ceiling centered over your tank. The two inside marks should be 36” apart. This is where you want to put your ceiling mounts.

Does that help?

Omg this is perfect! Thanks so much! I hope this awesome explanation helps others as well. Makes perfect sense!

Unread 02/20/2018, 01:42 AM   #6
Cathman
Super Ninja Reefer

Ummmm here is how I did mine. Cut two lengths of 2x4 at least the width of tank. Place each spaced apart on top of tank. Center fixture on those using them to hold it. Plumb bob from ceiling to hanging wires center on the fixture. Drill hole. And go from there with the rest of hanging. Works for me every time so far.

Cathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 07:51 AM   #7
eder10986
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cathman View Post
Ummmm here is how I did mine. Cut two lengths of 2x4 at least the width of tank. Place each spaced apart on top of tank. Center fixture on those using them to hold it. Plumb bob from ceiling to hanging wires center on the fixture. Drill hole. And go from there with the rest of hanging. Works for me every time so far.

Also a good idea. Thanks!