Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/13/2018, 11:59 AM   #1
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

HELP me find my shrimp...

Um... Really dumb thing here. I ordered a bonded pair of hobbies and a pistol shrimp... But when I opened the bar with the rocks I swear it is empty. Here is the pic... L.A. Says he is 3/4 inch long. I see nada...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
SereneAquatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 12:09 PM   #2
aznflyfisherman
Registered Member

Where is your goby? Maybe you got a ghost shrimp and a ghost goby?

Last edited by aznflyfisherman; 03/13/2018 at 12:16 PM.
aznflyfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 12:11 PM   #3
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

They were all packaged separately. The gobies are acclimating.

Current Tank Info: Red Sea Reefer 425 XL Deluxe, Nano Max, 55g Observation, 20g QT
Unread 03/13/2018, 12:15 PM   #4
Jekerry
Registered Member

Could he be in one of the rocks?

Jekerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 12:17 PM   #5
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

I tried turning them all. There is one TINY hole, but I doubt he could fit in it. Maybe i got the elusive Invisible Shrimp!

Unread 03/13/2018, 12:33 PM   #6
Jekerry
Registered Member

You have to pay extra for the invisible ones.

Actually all I ever see of my pistol is his antenna, so he might as well be invisible!

Unread 03/13/2018, 02:00 PM   #7
billdogg
Registered Member

How big are those pieces of rock? They all look small but with nothing for perspective it's kinda hard to tell.

Current Tank Info: 120 mixed reef with 40b sump, RO 150 skimmer, AI Sol Blue x 2, and a 60g Frag Tank with 100g rubbermaid sump. 2 x Kessil A360w lights, BM curve 5 skimmer
billdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 04:51 PM   #8
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

They are about 3/4 to an inch or so.

Unread 03/13/2018, 05:08 PM   #9
Anemone
Cloning Around

If those rocks are 1", there's nothing big enough for a 3/4" pistol shrimp to hide in. That was an expensive bag of water (and a few rocks).

Kevin

Current Tank Info: Red Sea 425XL w/Kessil AP700, Vertex 180i Skimmer, 2 x Vortech MP40s
Anemone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 05:18 PM   #10
Bent
I got nothin'

He’s there. No one can see him?

Top of the picture.

[QUOTE=CStrickland]Who gets mad at a starfish?[/QUOTE]

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Bent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 06:53 PM   #11
oldhead
Registered Member

I see nothing but rocks. I kinda have the same problem, I bought a pistol for my watchman and haven’t seen him since I put him in the tank. It has been a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oldhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 07:44 PM   #12
j.falk
Registered Member

What is the thing caught inside of the green mesh?

j.falk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/13/2018, 08:21 PM   #13
\Clownfish/
Saltwater Beginner

Place a small amount of food, turn lights off and get a nice flashlight and go hunting. He might pop out.

Unread 03/13/2018, 09:46 PM   #14
Bent
I got nothin'

Guys top of the pic. Zoom in.

Current Tank Info: 75g DT, 30G refugium, 10g chaeto tank, 50g stock tank basement sump
Unread 03/14/2018, 02:51 AM   #15
ramseynb
Registered Member

I ordered a pair of gobies and a pistol from LA not too long ago and I couldn’t believe how tiny the pistol was. Hopefully you didn’t throw him out with the bag or something! If the food idea doesn’t work, you could try throwing the rocks in some RO/DI and see if something comes out.

On a side note, my shrimp did not have any rock shipped with it. Also, it’s definitely alive in my tank because I see signs on it bulldozing around and hear him shoot his pistol all day long.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:30 AM   #16
Bent
I got nothin'

I’m totally kidding.

Unread 03/14/2018, 05:57 AM   #17
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Yeah I have no idea what happened. He never appeared. Seems like they sent me a bag of rocks. We checked the plastic bag like 10 times thinking he had lodged in a fold of plastic or something, but could not find him.

LA gave me a credit... But they probably think I am an idiot. "Uh... Yeah... You sent me an empty bag?" I'm sure they were thinking "yeah right"

Now I'm sad because my gobies don't have their shrimp. Kind of doubting that they are a bonded pair too... They aren't sticking very near each other in the tank. The big one seems fond of the smaller one... But the little one keeps running away lol

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:48 AM   #18
Bent
I got nothin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SereneAquatic View Post
Yeah I have no idea what happened. He never appeared. Seems like they sent me a bag of rocks. We checked the plastic bag like 10 times thinking he had lodged in a fold of plastic or something, but could not find him.

LA gave me a credit... But they probably think I am an idiot. "Uh... Yeah... You sent me an empty bag?" I'm sure they were thinking "yeah right"

Now I'm sad because my gobies don't have their shrimp. Kind of doubting that they are a bonded pair too... They aren't sticking very near each other in the tank. The big one seems fond of the smaller one... But the little one keeps running away lol

I’ve heard stories of LA just selling two random fish and selling them as a “bonded pair”. Flat out lying if you ask me.

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:49 AM   #19
Jekerry
Registered Member

Can you trade the extra goby for a pistol shrimp at a local fish store?

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:52 AM   #20
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jekerry View Post
Can you trade the extra goby for a pistol shrimp at a local fish store?
Not a bad idea. The little one is A LOT smaller than the big one. Talking almost 2 inches to about 3/4 of an inch. Is that normal for them?

Unread 03/14/2018, 11:23 AM   #21
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Not a bad idea. The little one is A LOT smaller than the big one. Talking almost 2 inches to about 3/4 of an inch. Is that normal for them?

Yeah that is a way used by stores to prevent them from fighting. So when they pair fish, they take one big and one small specimen. Mostly bigger will be the male and smaller will be the female (or vice versa in certain fish).

If you mix fish that are about the same size, there will almost always be fighting, even if they are a male and a female. Size difference predetermines the hierarchy and who is dominant, so there is very little to no fighting for determining that.

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 11:36 AM   #22
SereneAquatic
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1404 View Post
Yeah that is a way used by stores to prevent them from fighting. So when they pair fish, they take one big and one small specimen. Mostly bigger will be the male and smaller will be the female (or vice versa in certain fish).

If you mix fish that are about the same size, there will almost always be fighting, even if they are a male and a female. Size difference predetermines the hierarchy and who is dominant, so there is very little to no fighting for determining that.
Sounds like they didn't really have a bonded pair, but they suspect that these two will BECOME bonded in time, due to the size diff.

I kind of feel like I didn't get what I paid for (not counting the entirely missing shrimp). There is enough room for me to give them the benefit of the doubt I suppose. The gobies MAY bond and they did give me credit for the shrimp... So... Can I really complain?

Probably not.

That wasn't all that was in this order either, and the other fish is doing great so far, so I guess I will just hunt for a shrimp locally.

Unread 03/14/2018, 11:51 AM   #23
Tripod1404
Registered Member

Quote:
Sounds like they didn't really have a bonded pair, but they suspect that these two will BECOME bonded in time, due to the size diff.

I kind of feel like I didn't get what I paid for (not counting the entirely missing shrimp). There is enough room for me to give them the benefit of the doubt I suppose. The gobies MAY bond and they did give me credit for the shrimp... So... Can I really complain?

Probably not.

That wasn't all that was in this order either, and the other fish is doing great so far, so I guess I will just hunt for a shrimp locally.

"Bonded pair" designation they use just mean that the fish were being kept together in the same tank at their own facility and were not fighting. They sometimes just put different fish together and look if they fight or not (kinda like a trail an error) until they fish two fish that get along. Or they mix like 20 fish, and pick up the ones that follow each other or stay close to each other. Since they have bare bottom, shallow and divided tanks, it is very easy to to these.

I highly doubt these fish even saw each other in the ocean, they are most probably are not even from the same patch of reef.

I have seen "bonded pairs " that were color morphs of the specie that lives in different regions (like hawaii and vanuatu).

Tripod1404 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 05:36 PM   #24
ramseynb
Registered Member

Just buy a pistol shrimp from your LFS. TBH, had I known how tiny the shrimp was going to be, I would have done that because then I’d know I was getting something over 3/4” (if that!). I’m just hoping he grows and starts coming out from hiding some. All I see are his little piles of sand he leaves around his home and hear him snap throughout the day.

Ten tickles!
ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote