Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2018, 05:36 PM   #1
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Urchins?

I'm thinking of adding a long spine urchin to my tank. I think they look really cool, but they don't seem to be as popular as other invertebrates, so I'm having trouble finding much information on them.

They should be reef safe, right? And from what I've read they can't carry ich. What should the QT procedure be for these guys?

The only warning I've seen is that urchins can over turn rocks. I've got some rocks stacked, but the rocks on top easily weigh 20-30 lbs. Can an urchin really move these rocks???

ninjamunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 05:51 PM   #2
Imaexpat2
Registered Member

No but they will eat the Coraline algae as readily as they will unwanted algae! Ume sushi is delicious tho! Just sayin'...

Imaexpat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 06:03 PM   #3
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Well that could be a problem as I'd like more coraline algae in my tank. It seems that every invertebrate I research comes with downsides.

I'd like to have some sort of a cuc, but now I'm not sure at all.

Unread 03/15/2018, 06:04 PM   #4
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Rocks should be safe... I don't have a long spine..but I do have a pincusion..
One of my favorite animals in my tank..

I have one the size of a gulf ball.. I can follow it's daily path by following the bright white trail across the rocks lol..

And +1 for eating any and all coraline... I have very little in the display... tons in my fuge..

They eat anything and everything... except corals...

Mine devastated this little colony of tiny green feather dusters.. ate nearly all of them..

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 06:07 PM   #5
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I did not QT mine at all... I did drip acclimate it for 4 or 5 hours though...
They don't transport or transfer well tank to tank.. the longer you can drip them the better...

Unread 03/15/2018, 06:25 PM   #6
ninjamunky
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeJeune981 View Post
I did not QT mine at all... I did drip acclimate it for 4 or 5 hours though...
They don't transport or transfer well tank to tank.. the longer you can drip them the better...

Yes from what I have seen people don't QT them at all. They just "rinse" them before introduction to the DT. I was thinking I could rinse one with some water left over from a water change. Although I'm not even sure how you would "rinse" a long spine urchin.

It seems like they would be hard to handle.

Unread 03/15/2018, 06:30 PM   #7
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjamunky View Post
Yes from what I have seen people don't QT them at all. They just "rinse" them before introduction to the DT. I was thinking I could rinse one with some water left over from a water change. Although I'm not even sure how you would "rinse" a long spine urchin.

It seems like they would be hard to handle.
I'm a bit scared to hold one.. I'll pet mine when it's up at the top of the tank.. it's kinda neat to feel the urchin touch you back..

When I put mine in the tank... I cut the while corner of the bag off... and with water and the urchin inside.. I put that in the tank... then cut the rest of the bag off around it lol.. scared to get poked... Or to hurt the lil fella

Unread 03/15/2018, 06:30 PM   #8
Timfish
Registered Member

Urchins would be a really good addition. Martin Moe has done some research for NOAA and he found a direct link between the urchin dieoff in the Caribbean and the subsequent degradation of the Caribbean reefs. Urchins are the only herbivore we can add that actiually remove the "holdfast" some algae attach to rock with. If you are worried about your coraline I would suggest a Tuxedo urchin.

Unread 03/15/2018, 06:32 PM   #9
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Lol they take the whole top layer of rock off lol

Do not get an urchin if you have an acrylic tank.. that would be bad

Unread 03/15/2018, 06:55 PM   #10
Uncle99
Crab Free Zone

Had one eat right through a horseshoe crab shell, bulldoze some corals occasionally.
I have no clean up crew except snails, I use water with a TDS less than 5, and my hands followed by balanced photoperiod, and a small toothbrush. I use carbon dosing daily.

Uncle99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 07:02 PM   #11
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

I have a purple pincushion. Love it.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 08:47 PM   #12
Lsufan
Registered Member

I have 12 of them. They all came in my tbs rock. They haven’t ever caused any issues for me. About the worst I have ever had them do was rearrange a few corals. That doesn’t really happen often though & they aren’t the bulldozers that a lot of people make them seem. Although the specific species does have a lot to do with it & some seem to be worse then others

Lsufan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 08:53 PM   #13
ramseynb
Registered Member

Some of the pin cushion urchins will "collect" things on it's back like small rocks, frags, etc. They do eat coralline and won't mind eating a bit of silicone or plastic either. I've never had a long spine urchin, but they are venomous (like a bee sting). I've had pin cushions and pencil urchins.

ramseynb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/15/2018, 08:55 PM   #14
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

My pincushion may pick an empty shell up once every two weekends. Leaves corals alone. Tuxedos will pick up a bunch of stuff though.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 02:23 PM   #15
ReeferNoob4ever
Registered Member

I have 1 pincushion and one tuxedo in different tanks. I also have no coralline algae except in the cracks their mouths can't reach.

Current Tank Info: 20gL mixed reef, 10g mixed reef w/nem & clown, 5g NPS & harlequin
ReeferNoob4ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:15 PM   #16
Borntrippn
Registered Member

Some fish eat them. My star fish ate my last one.

Borntrippn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/18/2018, 12:33 AM   #17
Reefiez
Registered Member

my hairy pincushions are the worst! they have killed dozens and dozens of astrea snails by picking them up, and also love to move coral frags

my pencil urchin developed a taste for zoanthids, and was caught red handed munching and cleaning out a small rock of zoas in 2 days

my main DT currently only houses a shortspine urchin, which was, and continues to be a model citizen