Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Special Interest Group (SIG) Forums > Nano Reefs
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/09/2007, 10:38 PM   #51
jnarowe
Registered Member

NOT.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/10/2007, 02:09 PM   #52
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

yeah... i guess not then

StunnaShadez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2007, 03:06 PM   #53
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

the astreas are doing great. eating the algae off the rocks and one is cleaning the glass. i looked into the DIY thread and found a good thread on skimming the surface of the tank. so i went and cut a piece of plastic sheet and put it on. that should solve my problem on the dirty surface of my tank.

Unread 03/14/2007, 01:25 PM   #54
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

time to get some more snails... which is best for grazing on algae on the sand? or is hermits my only alternative? i think im getting my first diatom bloom. either that or my sand is just dirty..

Unread 03/19/2007, 08:37 PM   #55
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

havnt updated ina while... nothing in my tank has changed. it has kept up with a constant temperature of 82F. there has been a small diatom bloom. my astreas has been keeping the rocks clean. 1 went missing, and was found dead upside down when i woke up. the fighting conch is doing a great job of keeping the sandbed clean of diatom. i've read somewhere that DSB can have large amounts of phosphates.. if its true then i've got a problem. =[

??????????????????????????????????????????????
now i have a decision to make... should i take out about 2 inches of sandbed or all of it and go with barebottom? this is a hard decision... it would be nice if you guys can help me out. thanks.
??????????????????????????????????????????????

Unread 03/20/2007, 12:05 AM   #56
spleen93
crabby hermit

I wouldn't worry about it. I'm a card-carrying member of the barebottom reef club but I'd say for your set up, sand will work just as well. If you decide you want to do SPS down the line, you *might* want to consider taking the sandbed out at that time but until then, keeping the sand in will work well and will help build up your fauna on your rocks and in the sand. Both barebottom and DSBs have been shown to grow great reefs - I wouldn't stress over it. You already did all the work of putting the sand in ... leave it in.

Spleen

"Put that in your Mag Drive and smoke it." - jnarowe
"Beware of the banter" - mpoletti
"Now I know that some things are just out of our control and we should enjoy the good parts as much as we can." - pookstreet
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2007, 10:28 PM   #57
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

alright, that sounds good. im going to leave the sand in for now then, until i want some sps in a couple of months when i know my tank parameters are stable and constant.

Unread 03/20/2007, 11:59 PM   #58
jnarowe
Registered Member

If you do pull the sand, do it slowly so the tank can adjust, or move it to a RDSB. Just vacuum out a little at a time to keep the tank stabilized.

Current Tank Info: 70g fresh planted
jnarowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2007, 03:13 PM   #59
cschwaj
Registered Member

I want to throw an opinion out on the sandbed.

A DSB cannot be effectively established and maintained in a nano. If you do get sone anaerobic areas, they will not last and will likely foul the tank. A coworker of mine is having this issue now and cannot keep nitrates below 80ppm even with 2x weekly water changes.

The harm in such a deep bed is that is will continuously trap waste and become problematic over time. I am not suggesting bare-bottom; I personally don't like the look. Keep it to as much as you need to make it look good. Also, remove slowly; maybe 1/2 cup a day until you are where you want to be.

I really like the look and that fixture is outstanding. You will be able to keep nearly anything you want.

Why did I pick such a cryptic usename? Jeremy works just fine.

Current Tank Info: 12G AP w/ 70W MH, FW for the kids and a painted turtle
cschwaj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2007, 05:17 PM   #60
spleen93
crabby hermit

How would a SSB trap any less waste than a DSB?

Spleen

"Put that in your Mag Drive and smoke it." - jnarowe
"Beware of the banter" - mpoletti
"Now I know that some things are just out of our control and we should enjoy the good parts as much as we can." - pookstreet
spleen93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2007, 06:07 PM   #61
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

i agree with spleen, i dont think that it will trap any more waste. just probably some dead spots that is not getting enough flow will likely have waste buildup. ill probably just take out the sand a little each day until i have a SSB. sounds good..?

i have the main light on about 4 hrs a day and algae take advantage of it. i see more diatom spread on the sand where the conch did not eat it. im going to avoid having any hermits. which snail eat diatom off the sand? ceriths? nassarius?

Unread 04/10/2007, 01:01 AM   #62
saltman123
Registered Member

Tank looks great so far. The Sand bed does look a little deep compared to what I usually see, and what my tank has.

How are you liking the MH??? I am on the verge or ordering mine next week I think.

Current Tank Info: 12 Gallon Aquapod
saltman123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04/12/2007, 06:30 PM   #63
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

i havnt updated my tank in a while. nothing going on much. just got some zoos in there recently. the whole DSB is gone and its at BB right now.

as for the MH, its great. especially the sunpod. even though its my first MH, its very quiet and reliable. the moonlights makes my zoos glow at night. great idea on upgrading, you wont regret it

Unread 04/12/2007, 08:34 PM   #64
saltman123
Registered Member

Are you coming from the regular top? Or did you buy it Metal Halide from the start?

I LOVE the way the white and actinic light mixes to make everything super white. Do you loose that super bright white coloring with Metal Halide and not having Actinics mixed in?

Unread 04/12/2007, 10:49 PM   #65
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

i got the halide from the start. if you dont mod the back so it will surface skim then there will be some dust on the top of the water. just like how yours is like. just simply cover the slots and part of the teeth up top so it creates a waterfall effect to skim the surface.

because the halide is so bright and strong, you do not notice the moonlights. i leave the blue LED's on 24/7 and u dont even notice that its on, even with both white and blue LED's. i dont know about actinics because i dont have them. im guessing that it will just give your corals better coloring and your tank will be a lil bluer than yellow.

Unread 04/13/2007, 02:43 PM   #66
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

some update

dirty full tank shot. theres algae on the glass of my tank. i dont bother cleaning it, just let the snails clean it.

my favorite, i was told it was blue claveria polyps.

what kind of zoos are these?

yellow polyps

side shot of the polyps

a frag that fell off

sebae clownfish

some red zoos

Unread 04/13/2007, 03:23 PM   #67
saltman123
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally posted by m1enbo1
i got the halide from the start. if you dont mod the back so it will surface skim then there will be some dust on the top of the water. just like how yours is like. just simply cover the slots and part of the teeth up top so it creates a waterfall effect to skim the surface.
I have a piece of plexyglass already doing this in my tank. For some reason my first chamber fills quite high. I am going to raise up the piece of plastic to block more of the teeth.

Quote:
because the halide is so bright and strong, you do not notice the moonlights. i leave the blue LED's on 24/7 and u dont even notice that its on, even with both white and blue LED's. i dont know about actinics because i dont have them. im guessing that it will just give your corals better coloring and your tank will be a lil bluer than yellow. [/B]
Actinics add this really nice blue/super bright white glow so the tank doesn't shine green. I've noticed that with just white light the greens are much more apparent. Guess i'll find out.

By the way, those Blue Polyps are SWEET! If you ever wanna sell a tiny frag, let me know

Unread 04/13/2007, 03:46 PM   #68
Rosseau
Registered Member

I'm sure you've thought long and hard about your sand bed, so I'm sorry to throw in my opinion (that's all it is). However, I still can't bring myself to like the look of BB.

I want to search for another substrate... not sand, no BB.. tiles or something like that perhaps.

I do however really like the look of that sebae in there!

Unread 04/13/2007, 04:20 PM   #69
Jadams
Registered Member

Palabra!

Unread 04/14/2007, 09:25 AM   #70
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

saltman, maybe when i learn how to frag ill think about selling some frag when its large enough =]. till then, ill just enjoy it in my tank.

Quote:
Originally posted by Rosseau
I'm sure you've thought long and hard about your sand bed, so I'm sorry to throw in my opinion (that's all it is). However, I still can't bring myself to like the look of BB.

I want to search for another substrate... not sand, no BB.. tiles or something like that perhaps.

I do however really like the look of that sebae in there!
lol, no need for apologies, im always for suggestions/opinions. i've thought long and hard about whether to take out the sand or not, and it wasnt so easy taking it out. i didnt want to take it out so quickly at once where it would just cause a spike in anything and crash my tank. i would love to get tiles as my substrate, especially when i saw this thread where he/she had a zoo garden in front, but i dont have any clue on where to get them. any ideas would help.

Quote:
Originally posted by Jadams
Palabra!
translation? lol =]

Unread 04/25/2007, 10:07 PM   #71
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

im thinking about adding a 10g sump/refuge under my tank. does anyone have any all in one setup with an external refuge? i want to see how it looks like so i can have an idea on how it works. im planning on having the SCWD on this tank. is a wavemaker too much for this small of a tank?

in the making (thinking about it):
10g refuge
return pump with SCWD

Unread 04/25/2007, 10:28 PM   #72
saltman123
Registered Member

Do you keep the glass piece on top of your tank to stop the water from splashing?

Does your tank get hot with the HQI?

Unread 04/26/2007, 12:00 AM   #73
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

nope. i dont see any change in temp with the hqi on. it stays at a constant 79degrees day and night

Unread 04/26/2007, 12:00 AM   #74
StunnaShadez
Registered Member

nope. i dont see any change in temp with the hqi on. it stays at a constant 79degrees day and night

Unread 04/26/2007, 12:26 AM   #75
saltman123
Registered Member

That is definitely good temperature.

Yesterday the outside temp got to around 80 and my tank was already wanting to climb up to 83 to 84 with the pc enclosed hood.

I have a 20" SunPod 75W just waiting to get strapped on. Ordering the glass this week!