Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Coral Forums > SPS Keepers
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/31/2014, 12:11 PM   #76
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Until it grows and I get it in some other tanks it shall remain the nameless red polyp acro

I'm glad your hoek is shown some color. I can't seem to give that one too much light.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
jackson6745 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 04:48 PM   #77
NyReefNoob
skimmer freak

i tried to warn you, once it establishes dominance it may calm down. you should come get a pair of the mcosters we have, added 2 to my rhoims with no issue, lol do have to catch my leopard wrasse and my coris. little buggers keep trying to eat my clownfish egg's.
i had the snowcone prostata before and only person who got a piece was my friend jim { lost his } and bigsink got a piece also couple years back. that was one of my favorite pieces. lmk next time ur coming in and if ya want ill frag that simplex

My dad always said the only stupid questions are the ones not asked

Current Tank Info: custom 45g cube AIO
NyReefNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/31/2014, 06:14 PM   #78
stonecold
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackson6745 View Post

IMG_7454 by rich.colombo, on Flickr
This is a HOT looking frag. Awesome find!!! Also, love your stand and cabinet as both looks like they have been under the sea for years.

stonecold is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2014, 05:10 AM   #79
maikoa02
Registered Member

Yes...that is a really nice piece. Keep us posted on its progression.

maikoa02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2014, 06:28 AM   #80
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Thanks Rick. I would love to try a frag of the simplex! I'll probably stop by with kasei next week.

Stonecold thanks man. That was the idea. I live across the street from the beach and sort of have this decor through my condo.

As for that frag, I'm keeping my fingers crossed . It's growing fast right now. I'm curious to see how the red polyps will look as it branches out. I'll certainly keep an update of its progress.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196"]http://www.reefcentralcom/forums/showthread.php?t=2357196
Officially Done Shipping
Unread 02/03/2014, 03:35 PM   #81
dahenley
Registered Member

earlier in the thread, you said something about you not thinking the t-5 lights on your fixture.
is that your thinking that they do not put out compared to other t-5 fixtures, or that the t-5s don't show up much under the 400w?

(i am getting ready to start my 36x24x29 tank…. and love my 400w lights on my big tank. so i am going with a single 400 and wanting to add LED actinics but also wanting to add a few t-5's but have never dealt with them….)
any suggestions?

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/03/2014, 04:04 PM   #82
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

I ran ATI T5 fixtures in the past and the output from them is much more than the T5's in the sfiligoi fixture. Could be the reflector or ballast, I'm not sure. The T5's in the fixture are sufficient in balancing the halide color and giving extra coverage though. It's not a big deal.

I always like a liner source of light over my tanks. I feel that I get better growth and coverage over the tank that a point source light can't match. I would definitely add high output T5's to your tank. The only problem that i see is that it might look silly if exposed. Are you planning on going with a halide/t5 fixture or retrofitting T5 in the mix?

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 02/03/2014, 04:20 PM   #83
dahenley
Registered Member

i am custom building my stand and canopy, and will probably retro everything. (I'm not worried about the look because it will be covered….)

plus i can arrange and cram things into places where i wouldn't be able to with a fixture.

heres my stand as I'm finishing it. (its made form Cherry)
and ill do the canopy the same way

240display, reef in progress

Current Tank Info: 240 display, a few frags here and there. lots of fish, and lots of watching. (230 big screen getting re-sealed and going to add to the gallonage) My wife has no clue how addicted i really am.....
dahenley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 07:33 PM   #84
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Update

The tank is just about at the 4 month mark. My cyano outbreak has cleared up and everything is doing very well. Growth has been fairly quick and I'm happy with most of the colors (there's always suborn corals though)

New Lineatus. I'm loving this fish

DSC_0015 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Flame

DSC_0018 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Growing!

IMG_8251 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

IMG_8250 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

IMG_8260 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

And here's my nitrate level I got it down to 5ppm with a water change since this pic

IMG_8165 by rich.colombo, on Flickr

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 02/25/2014, 07:35 PM   #85
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Here's a video from today. Be sure to watch in HD

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 02/25/2014, 07:43 PM   #86
cFloor
Registered Member

Nice vid! Your tank is coming along really well. I LOVE you lineatus and flame!

cFloor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 08:24 PM   #87
Arkayology
Registered Member

Such an awesome tank! I really like the scape with all the SPS frags poking out everywhere! So many wrasses too!

in between tanks
Arkayology is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 09:02 PM   #88
CRW Reefer
Registered Member

Wow your sump is awesome!!!

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh600/chadrw79/corals/IMG_20140224_162702.jpg

Current Tank Info: 75 Gallon Reef 500w 14k MH, 220w Super Actinic VHO and 24w Ecoxotic LED
CRW Reefer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 10:09 PM   #89
plyle02
Registered Member

Amazing video, that is one well designed structure and placement of corals, brilliant!
Thanks for sharing...

"Anger is like drinking poison and expecting the other person to die" ~Buddha~

Current Tank Info: 50 Gallon AIO Cube, Aquamaxx WS-1 Skimmer, LED/ Hybrid 4x24 watt t5
plyle02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2014, 10:24 PM   #90
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by cFloor View Post
Nice vid! Your tank is coming along really well. I LOVE you lineatus and flame!
Thanks! These fish have good personality

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalDude View Post
Such an awesome tank! I really like the scape with all the SPS frags poking out everywhere! So many wrasses too!
Thank you. That was the plan from the beginning. I had branch scape in a few other tank and it seems to utilize the space well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRW Reefer View Post
Wow your sump is awesome!!!
Thanks. It was made by Custom king. I'm lucky to have this guy local to me so I am able to save on shipping. Everyone in my area uses him for acrylic work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by plyle02 View Post
Amazing video, that is one well designed structure and placement of corals, brilliant!
Thanks for sharing...
Thank you vey much. I actually didn't design anything. That was my creative (drunken) genus at work LOL. I'm glad that you like it.

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 02/25/2014, 10:38 PM   #91
echopiece
Registered Member

Your tank is looking sweet Rich! Put me on the list for when you start fragging that Aussie acro!

Unread 02/25/2014, 11:03 PM   #92
Fail_sh3d
Registered Member

Jackson, things are looking good, my friend.

I hope to figure out this new fangled camera and take some pics that look half as good as your tank is looking.

Current Tank Info: Custom drilled 20L with sump/refugium, BM 3 Plus skimmer, 2 MP10, mixed reef.
Fail_sh3d is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 01:51 AM   #93
Bello
Registered Member

Love this tank

Do you have any wild/mari acros or are most of them, aquacultured?

Bello is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 05:11 AM   #94
sahin
Ultimate Reefer

You are a very skilled SPS Reefkeeper; this fact is reflected in how good this tank looks already. Well done man.

PS the video was nice and high res. Can you tell me what you recorded with and did you edit the video before uploading to YT?

My bro recorded with his high end Canon camera and on our computer the video looks real good, but as soon as we upload to YT it looks crap.

Thanks.

sahin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/26/2014, 08:29 AM   #95
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by echopiece View Post
Your tank is looking sweet Rich! Put me on the list for when you start fragging that Aussie acro!

Thanks Marty. Going to be a little while on that one but I won't forget you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fail_sh3d View Post
Jackson, things are looking good, my friend.

I hope to figure out this new fangled camera and take some pics that look half as good as your tank is looking.

Thanks, Fail. I can't wait to see your new pics . You should be able to get super clear fish pics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bello View Post
Love this tank

Do you have any wild/mari acros or are most of them, aquacultured?
Thanks Bello. I would say 60% are tank raised corals, and the other 40% is wild aussie and Indo corals. There's so many cool aussie acros coming in to the shops by me, it's hard to pass up

Quote:
Originally Posted by sahin View Post
You are a very skilled SPS Reefkeeper; this fact is reflected in how good this tank looks already. Well done man.

PS the video was nice and high res. Can you tell me what you recorded with and did you edit the video before uploading to YT?

My bro recorded with his high end Canon camera and on our computer the video looks real good, but as soon as we upload to YT it looks crap.

Thanks.
Thanks sahin I've killed enough coral over the years to figure out how to keep them by now

The video was take with an iPhone5. No editing, just uploaded to youtube. The top down pics are also taken with the iphone5 in a look down box. The wrasse pics were taken with my trusty old nikon D40
Maybe try hosting the video on Flickr. I don't think they shrink it as much as youtube.

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 02/28/2014, 12:35 PM   #96
tdb320reef
Registered Member

Awesome colors and fish selection. That quad colored frag/mini colony is sweet. What is the name of that coral? If I was to gauge with a yard stick that is much sweeter than the Jaw dropper. Well done system!

tdb320reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 12:42 PM   #97
SApicoreef
Registered Member

what are you running for filtration and how many vortechs do you have? interested as I'm setting up a very similar tank (32x32x24 cube)

SApicoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/28/2014, 01:32 PM   #98
jackson6745
Yeah Yeah

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdb320reef View Post
Awesome colors and fish selection. That quad colored frag/mini colony is sweet. What is the name of that coral? If I was to gauge with a yard stick that is much sweeter than the Jaw dropper. Well done system!
Thanks tdb, I appreciate the good words. I'm a fan of your reef, with the massive selection and color variety of SPS. Awesome kaleidoscope you have there.

I don't have a name for that coral. It was a 1" wild aussie frag that was solid blue when I got it. It looked similar to a tenuis. During the fist 6 weeks in this new tank I started to notice the color change to the coralites and polyps. I'm excited to see what it does as it grows.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SApicoreef View Post
what are you running for filtration and how many vortechs do you have? interested as I'm setting up a very similar tank (32x32x24 cube)
3xMP40's and 1xMP10. I tried 4x 40's but due to coral placement, the one powerhead was creating damaging flow to a few corals. Changing it to an MP10 fixed that problem. Flow is very strong in this reef when I run them 100%. Ive been running them 2 bars from full on the nutrient removal mode.

Filtration is basic. Micron filter sock, Skimz SM 203 skimmer, phosban reactors with carbon and rowaphos. I use kalkwasser, and 2 part on a dosing pump to keep up with calcification. 20 gallon water change done every 2 weeks and I dose Microbe-lift Special Blend Bacteria. If you start a tank thread send me a link. Tanks our size are not too common I would love to follow.

Officially Done Shipping
Unread 03/02/2014, 01:25 AM   #99
SApicoreef
Registered Member

Okay cool. Would love to ask you some questions on a whole range of things.

SApicoreef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/02/2014, 01:49 AM   #100
Acronic
The Fifth Master

Sweet tank Richard

I have lost all concept of reality and live in an SPS world now.
Acronic is offline   Reply With Quote