Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 01/23/2018, 03:45 PM   #1851
fishguy306
Registered Member

I could use some thoughts from the pros on something. I recently bought a DP-1, I'm using it to add a buffer on a FW system. I'm using the DNController function, so if pH drops below 6.5, it turns on the pump. I have a hysteresis of .1 with the input set on Archon pH, set at 6.5.

The issue I've run into, the pump runs for a long time before the buffer raises pH enough to turn off the pump. Eventually the buffer mixes fully, pH went up from 6.5 up to over 8.0. Obviously not an idea situation. It eventually drops, but I'd like to set it so that wont happen. My thought is if I limit how long the pump runs it gives a chance for it to mix in. For example, if pH is below 6.5 turn on DP1 for 15 seconds once every 5 mins until pH is above 6.5. Any thoughts on how to do this?

fishguy306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/23/2018, 09:28 PM   #1852
Pickupman66
Registered Member

You probably need to add a timer to the mix. Timed controller I believe is what you want. I don't have this setup so I can't fully advise it.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

15 years reef keeping experience in old school simplistic ways.
/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon
Pickupman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 09:56 AM   #1853
fishguy306
Registered Member

Thanks for the thoughts. I'll have to play with it I guess. I figured a timer would come in somewhere, but switching to a timed controller removes the ability to dose on pH I believe? I'm wondering if I could set up an alarm of some sort that trips after it runs for 15 seconds.

Unread 01/24/2018, 11:12 AM   #1854
Pickupman66
Registered Member

actually I just went and looked. you can use PH for a timed controller.

setup your timer as below or similar. this is the one I use for my ATO. it runs for a max of 5 then off for 28.

I see now that it removes the dosing option by ML but you arent using that at all with the DN controller. that is used for a Day/ Night different setting on dosing.

15 years reef keeping experience in old school simplistic ways.
/><{{{{"> Archon BETA

Current Tank Info: 66 Gallon SCA Rimless, Custom 40 Breeder sump, DC pumps, Lumentek Pro 240 controlled by my Archon
Pickupman66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01/24/2018, 11:18 AM   #1855
fishguy306
Registered Member

You are awesome, that looks like exactly what I need. Thank you very much!

Edit- Ok, couple questions still turns out. If I put start time as 00:00:00 it'll run when pH is below 6.5 rather than a certain time, correct? Also do I want to check continue forever? For example, pH drops to 6.4, buffer kicks on, I set run time as 15 seconds, it runs that 15 seconds, then turns off for 5 mins like I set it. I set repeat to 0. If I hit continue forever will it only dose again if the pH drops too low?

Last edited by fishguy306; 01/24/2018 at 11:25 AM.
Unread 03/04/2018, 03:17 AM   #1856
NubbsJRN
Registered Member

I have not been paying attention lately but it looks like the Archon is now discontinued. Have they said how long they will still be providing support?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

NubbsJRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/04/2018, 07:35 AM   #1857
shred5
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NubbsJRN View Post
I have not been paying attention lately but it looks like the Archon is now discontinued. Have they said how long they will still be providing support?

Really. I am happy I did not buy one and I came so close so many times. Ended up keeping my Apex which I am not a fan of. I ended up buying it because of the delays to the Archon. I ended up not buying this because it did not look like DA was throwing enough resources at it. One person could not do it all.. It is sad because they made such a good product that liked prior. They went from almost dominating the hobby to this sad.

Unread 03/05/2018, 03:30 PM   #1858
NubbsJRN
Registered Member

This is a board for those of us that own them. I am glad you are happy that you did not buy one but the majority of us on this board did. I know for myself it was a fair investment. I am just hoping DA finds a way to remain solvent enough to continue to support it for a long time yet. The level of features capable with this unit is truly awsome if you have some skills beyond the simple plug and play.

NubbsJRN is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 02:30 AM   #1859
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Archon Owner Here

I need help setting up a float switch in my sump that is normally “open”, but when the water level drops below where I need it to be it will “close” the float switch. When the float switch is “closed” I want it to shut off my return pump, chiller, and a reactor pump in my sump.

Help how do I set this up?

Thanks

NYC/NJREEFS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 06:15 AM   #1860
crs751
Registered Member

You need to go to the System tab and set up an Alarm using the sump float switch input as the trigger. Set the trip point to 0.50 (the 0 is important) and I believe you check the Trip When Low box since your float will be normally open. Set the Hysteresis to 0.1 and check any boxes that you want to apply for notification such as email notification. Then click on Save. Go to the outputs tab and select the outputs you want the alarm to apply to like your return pump, chiller and reactor pumps. Click on the gear symbol for each output and then click on the Show Alarm button. Check the alarm you set up above and check whether the output should be on or off if the alarm is active; in your case it would be off.

The only confusion I believe I might have is whether or not the Trip When Low box should be checked or not; I get confused which way is normally open or closed. But if your alarm triggers when it shouldn't then don't check the box. And you find the input that triggers the alarm by selecting this under the Device drop down when you originally set up the alarm under the System tab.

Hope this helps.

crs751 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/12/2018, 04:50 PM   #1861
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Setting up float switch

Thanks for the reply, I appreciate the quick and helpful reply. I will try it tonight when I get home from work, and let you know if it works.

Sincerely, Milt

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:19 PM   #1862
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Archon Float Switch Setup

Ok, I setup the alarm as indicated in the previous reply but encountered a small issue. Every pump in my sump that I linked to the Alarm #1 float switch “closed” position shut off as I wanted. However, they did not come back on when the float switch “opened” again. I went ahead and created a second alarm that would turn on those pumps when the float switch is in “open” position.

Please advise if this is ok, or there’s a different way to have the pumps resume their function when the float switch “opens” after a “closed” position triggers the pumps to shut off. Thanks crs751 for the help setting this up.

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:36 PM   #1863
crs751
Registered Member

Did the alarm clear when the float returned to its normal position? The outputs that were tied to that alarm should have returned to their normal operation when the alarm reset.

Unread 03/14/2018, 06:39 PM   #1864
crs751
Registered Member

Did you set up email notification for that alarm and did you receive notification that there was an alarm and if it cleared an email telling you that? I also believe I gave you some bad information regarding the Trip When Low. Leave this unchecked as it is only for temp/pH alarms. My bad. Let me know if this helps.

Unread 03/14/2018, 09:34 PM   #1865
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Float Switch Setup

No didn’t get an email notification, even though I checked it. No the alarm did not clear after the water level rose to “open” the switch. I do another test tonight when I get home from work.

Unread 03/15/2018, 12:52 PM   #1866
crs751
Registered Member

Don’t want to be a smart A but did you set up email on the setup tab in the Archon? That needs to be setup for the notification to work.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Unread 03/16/2018, 01:57 AM   #1867
jeepguy242
Registered Member

can anybody tell me how to get the archon to reset

i use the button on the front with a paperclip and can't get it to run the setup to put in my network info

Current Tank Info: 125 mixed reef, 40 gallon sump, mag 9.5 return, quiet one 6000 closed loop, reef octo NWB-150 2010 model, diy kalkwasser reactor and ATO, 3 250 watt MH 14k
jeepguy242 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 04:27 AM   #1868
n2585722
Registered Member

Thumbs down

Setup is now a menu selection. No need to press reset.

n2585722 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 06:44 PM   #1869
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Archon Setup

Yes I did setup my email on the initial setup page. I depressed the test button and will receive a test email. However, when the float switch tripped it didn’t generate an email. I have since tried tripping it again but had not sent an email.

Thnx

Unread 03/16/2018, 06:51 PM   #1870
crs751
Registered Member

Maybe try setting up a new alarm and apply it to the outputs you want to control. Don't check the box for on when low. I find some alarms can act up.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Unread 03/25/2018, 01:58 AM   #1871
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Alarm Glitch

I don’t know but maybe it was just a glitch. I have tested the alarm and everything went like was supposed to and even received an email alerting me of the alarm events triggered.

I have another question, when setting up my dosing pumps (DP1 modules) in the timer setup when I want to dose Ca just 20ml a day but I would like to split the dose to two times a day will the pump be able to dose such a low amount or do I just set it up to dose the full amount once a day?

Thanks

Unread 03/25/2018, 07:00 AM   #1872
crs751
Registered Member

When I used to pump to dose vodka, I used the dose programming function within the DP1 module. Just put in the total amount you want to dose, the flow rate of the pump and how many times a day to dose. The Archon does the rest. I dosed as little as 5ml a day. It would be best to check the box for set up new timer when you program this function.

Unread 03/25/2018, 07:17 AM   #1873
crs751
Registered Member

I forgot, select Dose in the function box when you proram the pump.

Sent from my SM-T560NU using Tapatalk

Unread 03/25/2018, 03:54 PM   #1874
NYC/NJREEFS
Registered Member

Dosing using DP1

Awesome, so I should setup a new timer.

Thnx

Unread 03/25/2018, 03:57 PM   #1875
crs751
Registered Member

I find it works better that way. You can always rename it under the settings tab after you finish the programming.