Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/19/2018, 09:34 PM   #1
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

How many stages for an RO?

I have no doubt in my mind that I would need an RO system because I’m on well water and it’s hard. I have to clean my shower heads and faucets from time to time because they start to plug. Also if I open my toilet tank the walls are coated, what I’ve been told is either rust/iron or tannins. So with that said should and how should I have my water tested so I know how many stages to get for the system? Since I’m going to get an RO system I figure I’ll get the add on for drinking water cause my wife won’t drink the tap water. I grew up on well water and don’t think anything about it, she on the other hand is used to city water.

BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/19/2018, 11:25 PM   #2
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoisBlancBoy View Post
I have no doubt in my mind that I would need an RO system because I’m on well water and it’s hard. I have to clean my shower heads and faucets from time to time because they start to plug. Also if I open my toilet tank the walls are coated, what I’ve been told is either rust/iron or tannins. So with that said should and how should I have my water tested so I know how many stages to get for the system? Since I’m going to get an RO system I figure I’ll get the add on for drinking water cause my wife won’t drink the tap water. I grew up on well water and don’t think anything about it, she on the other hand is used to city water.
You should call SpectraPure and they will tell you exactly what would work best for your water. You can trust them!

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 12:34 AM   #3
gonereefing654
Registered Member

Home Depot has a service you can send a water sample to and they will tell you how good or bad it is.

gonereefing654 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 01:26 AM   #4
DesertReefT4r
Registered Member

Plus 1 for Spectrapure.

Tank history 29g tropical ,55g cichlid tank, 20H softy reef, 29g mixed reef, 20H brackish goby & puffer tank, 55g mixed reef, 6g Nanocube softy lps reef, 40B sps reef, 75g sps reef, 75g sps reef in bu

Current Tank Info: 75g sps reef build in the works.
DesertReefT4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/20/2018, 12:28 PM   #5
Vinny Kreyling
Registered Member

On a well you will have to deal with CO2, that means de-gassing before running into the RO system.
There should be a water report for your location posted on the city website.
You also have to find out if they use Chloramines in the water.

Unread 02/20/2018, 12:51 PM   #6
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny Kreyling View Post
On a well you will have to deal with CO2, that means de-gassing before running into the RO system.
There should be a water report for your location posted on the city website.
You also have to find out if they use Chloramines in the water.
I live on a small island which is a small township and they don’t have a water system. All wells here.

Unread 02/20/2018, 01:10 PM   #7
mcgyvr
Registered Member

https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-sta...ystem-brs.html
That will handle drinking about 2.5 gallons of water at one time or up to 75 gallons a day if removed over the course of a day..

You will need to ensure you have at least 50PSI of pressure available from your water pump

Unread 02/20/2018, 02:11 PM   #8
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/5-sta...ystem-brs.html
That will handle drinking about 2.5 gallons of water at one time or up to 75 gallons a day if removed over the course of a day..

You will need to ensure you have at least 50PSI of pressure available from your water pump
Thanks. For the drinking water I won’t need much. For the PSI I know my pump turns off at 50psi but I’m but not sure what PSI it kicks on at.

If it’s only a matter of making more waste water due to sub par water pressure I don’t care about but I don’t know if that’s the case?

Unread 02/21/2018, 05:55 AM   #9
mcgyvr
Registered Member

FYI.. you can easily adjust the set points of your pump to increase water pressure if you want.
And yes in general it just wont be as efficient so more waste water but 50psi should be just fine..

Unread 02/21/2018, 01:45 PM   #10
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgyvr View Post
FYI.. you can easily adjust the set points of your pump to increase water pressure if you want.
And yes in general it just wont be as efficient so more waste water but 50psi should be just fine..
Yes sir I did know that about the set points for the pump. I have actually bumped it up in the past. I’m afraid of going any higher with the psi, don’t want to cause an issue with the house plumbing.

So I just want to be sure but if my psi isn’t in the optimal range for the RO I will still get quality output but more waste water?

Unread 02/21/2018, 03:56 PM   #11
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

Probably similar source water here. Well, high iron ...... 50 stage RODI has served me pretty well.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/21/2018, 04:53 PM   #12
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ca1ore View Post
Probably similar source water here. Well, high iron ...... 50 stage RODI has served me pretty well.
50? I’m assuming you mean 5 haha? What filter choices choices did you go with? Have any issues with CO2?

Unread 02/21/2018, 05:21 PM   #13
ca1ore
Grizzled & Cynical

OOOops, yeah 5. That's what happens when I try to type and chew gum at the same time. I just have the standard 2 canister Spectrapure - sediment and carbon - then the RO then two DI canisters in series. I typically get about 250 gallons out of a DI charge. Never have bothered to do anything about CO2. Raw water in at about 450; out of RO at about 10.

Got back into the hobby ..... planned to keep it simple ..... yeah, right ..... clearly I need a new plan! Pet peeve: anemones host clowns; clowns do not host anemones!

Current Tank Info: 450 Reef; 120 refugium; 60 Frag Tank, 30 Introduction tank; multiple QTs
ca1ore is offline   Reply With Quote