Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 02/25/2018, 11:40 AM   #1
bjwoody15
Registered Member

Maxspect Razor X or Sbreeflight ultra

Looking for any advice LED lights. I think I have narrowed down to these 2 lights. Will be for a standard 6ft 125 gallon. 2 of the 200 watt razor x or 2 of the 34 inch ultras. Looking for any opinions. Found a lot on the ultra but not on the new razor x.

bjwoody15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 03:43 PM   #2
zooman72
Registered Member

Well, they are the same price, so that part of the equation is set, so it comes down to color rendition and features.

1. Color rendition goes to the Razor X - better white diode choices with a lower K-rating, as higher-K whites tend to have a lower CRI (Color Rendering Index, which is a measure of how well we perceive colors under a light source, or how well that source accurately renders color, with the higher the better).

2. Features would also seem to go with the Razor X (barely?), as it provides for both onboard programming as well as wireless control (albeit with an additional $50 controller). The Razor X also comes with preloaded profiles (i.e. presets) for various coral types (SPS, LPS, soft, mixed). Both light have 4 channels, but timepoint programming appears to be a bit more effort with the SB Reeflight.

Both have similar numbers of diodes (Razor X = 80 total vs. SB = 99 total), and I would assume similar power usage (Razor X = 195W max usage vs. SB = 351W "rated", which I assume is there total diode max, not what the fixture is running at during max intensity for all 4 channels, which is not stated). The Razor X uses diode clusters with no secondary lenses (preferred for color blending of individual diodes), whereas the SB uses an even "panel" distribution of diodes (great for coverage, not so much for color blending) with secondary lenses (good for hanging above aquarium some distance). Both can also be readily hung and have mounting legs.

All in all, my vote goes towards the Razor X (just came out, so only a few reviews so far), with full disclosure that I use 3 different 1st-gen Razors, and like them.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 05:36 PM   #3
bjwoody15
Registered Member

Thank u so much for your in depth review. Was leaning towards the razor but could not find many reviews.

bjwoody15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 07:22 PM   #4
marinelife
Registered Member

I would also look at the Aquasanrise Plus so far they are great for me!
https://www.reefbreeders.com/aquasanrise-plus/

Otherwise Razor X

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
marinelife is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02/25/2018, 09:17 PM   #5
zooman72
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjwoody15 View Post
Thank u so much for your in depth review.

Current Tank Info: Marine: Pair of 40B's, 45W, 50g cube, ADA 45F at home...IM Nuvo 20 and 10 at office!
zooman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/14/2018, 03:16 PM   #6
GoNoles
Registered Member

Bumping to see if there are any more reviews of the Razor X. Thinking about purchasing for my 40B and is the only thing left to purchase.

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/20/2018, 09:50 PM   #7
rhiggsbear
Another Brick in the Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
I would also look at the Aquasanrise Plus so far they are great for me!
https://www.reefbreeders.com/aquasanrise-plus/

Otherwise Razor X
Did the Aquasanrise Plus get discontinued? It is no longer on the site except for the R60 under the clearance section????

><((((º>`•.¸¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>
¸. •´¯`•.¸.´¯`•.. ><((((º>`•.¸¸.•...¸><((((º>
><((((º>`•.¸.•´¯`•...¸><((((º>
•.¸.´¯`•.. ><((((º>
rhiggsbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/21/2018, 01:02 PM   #8
marinelife
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhiggsbear View Post
Did the Aquasanrise Plus get discontinued? It is no longer on the site except for the R60 under the clearance section????

Well hmm, not sure the deal, that sucks as he said nothing about not carrying them anymore. If I would have known I would have gotten the photons. I will contact them. Its a nice light and I had hoped to get more.

All LED since 2010.

Current Tank Info: 375 Gallon Reef with siporax, all LED lighting, and Red Dragon 3 and Abyzz A200 on 2 closed loops.
Unread 03/21/2018, 01:16 PM   #9
marinelife
Registered Member

Looks like a new model is coming out but I sent a message to confirm.

All LED since 2010.

Unread 03/21/2018, 04:06 PM   #10
Cstone123
Registered Member

I just purchased the razor few weeks ago. Personally I love them, great color and strong lights. Well built, easy to use. I did not buy the WiFi box. I have a 90 gal 48” so I got the 48” version. One complaint I have it that the little screws provided to put the mounting legs on were so small and a pain to get in. Great lights.

Cstone123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 12:00 PM   #11
GoNoles
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinelife View Post
Looks like a new model is coming out but I sent a message to confirm.
Where did you see this at? I am just about to pull the trigger on a Photon but might wait to see if they have a new Sanrise version releasing.

GoNoles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/22/2018, 07:02 PM   #12
marinelife
Registered Member

Aquasanrise facebook page listed a new name for the unit and Reef Breeders is no longer going to sell them.
I have found a few other places selling them but I am researching if they are good places.

All LED since 2010.