Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 03/15/2018, 10:07 AM   #1
BoisBlancBoy
Registered Member

Max size for fuge plan, ok idea?

Took me awhile from reading everyone’s designs and ideas for a sump and fuge but I think I’ve come up with an idea on how I’d like to build my own.

I’m not sure what overall size it will be but it’s going to be as large as I can fit in a stand. Hoping to go large enough on my DT that I could end up getting a 55 gallon sump.

My plan is to have 3 compartments. The center being the return for the pump. Left chamber being just large enough for the skimmer and also where the drains from the DT come in. Between the skimmer and return will be bubble trap baffles. The right compartment will be for the fuge and will be as large and deep as possible with enough space left over in the other compartments to allow for drain back from the DT. The fuge will get its water supply from the return pump, Tee’d off of the return line to the DT. I think a pump that can provide a 5x turnover rate for the DT would be plenty which would allow some flow options for the fuge.

My reasoning behind this is that I want a large fuge for nutrient export. Maybe it will be larger than I truly will ever need. But larger the better, be able to have macro algea, some live rock and possibly some coral frags or even some inhabitants? If that works with a decent light for macro aglea growth.

With all that said I’d like to hear your thoughts. Thank you.

BoisBlancBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/16/2018, 08:32 AM   #2
reefwiser
Registered Member

One can never have a too large sump or fuge. I like at least the same size as the display. Which is the plan for my next tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

September 23rd,2017 11 am till 3pm
Saint Thomas Fellowship hall,9616 Westport Road,Louisvi
reefwiser is offline   Reply With Quote