Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > New to the Hobby
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/02/2016, 03:30 PM   #1
SmokedNeptune
Registered Member

First Salt tank help

Howdy friends, I've been in the hobby for a few shirt years keeping freshwater fish. I recently have been considering dabbling in saltwater tanks. I came across a really good deal for an entire setup. I'm just wondering on some basic things. It's a 100gal acrylic tank

I've seen a lot of things about large gross worms living in the sand and stuff. How common is that? Would a barebottom prevent that?

What are some colorful hardy easy to care for fish?

Any tips anyone might have

I had saltwater tanks when I was really little and it was my job to take care of it and we had it for around 5 years before we moved but I don't remember a lot from it. I should mention I have absolutely no intention in having corals. I don't plan on keeping any venomous fish either.

Thanks so much for any responses -Liz

SmokedNeptune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/02/2016, 03:48 PM   #2
mcgyvr
Registered Member

worms (bristle, peanut, feather dusters,etc..)are for the most part beneficial for a saltwater tank.. All of us have at least a worm in our tanks.. more like hundreds..
Some can be good..some bad (flat worms,etc..)..

Some on occasion can get pretty darn long (2-4ft even) if there is a sufficient food source but thats pretty rare..

IMO the best part of a reef tank is watching/finding the things like bristle worms, pods, etc.. that shows up and lives in the "system" that you didn't knowingly put in the tank

A bare bottom will have less places to hide/live but please don't worry about worms in your tank.. There are far more things to be concerned about..

Wait till you find out about the potential poisoning you can get from certain common coral species (zoas/palys) ,etc..

read...read..read...learn...learn..learn.. It can be a challenging/frustrating hobby but very rewarding at the same time..

Unread 06/02/2016, 03:54 PM   #3
GimpyFin
Registered Member

Welcome to the forum. I recommend checking out the sticky post in this section for setting up. It has a lot of good info to get up to speed. There are also some posts in regards to worms and critters if you are curious about that. Some are good and some are not-so-good. You will have some decent options for fish with 100 gallons. Liveaquaria has a section on their website (Under Marine fish) called marine fish for beginners that has a bunch of easier to care for fish that should give you some good ideas to start with. Cheers.

Current Tank Info: 110 gallon
GimpyFin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
100g, beginner, first tank, saltwater