Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 06/16/2018, 08:46 AM   #1
CTaylor
Registered Member

bug spray and reef tank -- should be ok?

Hi,
I just got a surprise termite spraying on a door about 6 feet away from my tank. It's not aerosol, it was a exterminator type targeted spray. I smelled slight odor from it in the room where tank is. All I could do is cover the tank with a plastic sheet I had. The sump is more difficult to since there are things and tubes etc that make it hard to just cover up. Turned off skimmer. I have a fan blowing outward on the door. I'll leave that all day.

I have acros in the tank and a monti. Some SPS, fish. I'm thinking if any chems got in the tank, I would see some type of reaction (?) . Anyone have experience with this? Again, the room itself was not treated. Just the door.

Thanks

CTaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 09:05 AM   #2
Reef noob_
Registered Member

Just keep looking for signs of distress in any of your animals. If you do see something wrong, do a water change or two and you should be okay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

New Build in progress http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2528685
90 gallon DT, 65 Gallon Fuge, Chinese LEDs, LPS and Soft coral reef
Reef noob_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 09:20 AM   #3
Apotack
Registered Member

Run some fresh carbon and shut your skimmer for a day or so.

Current Tank Info: 125gal
Apotack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 09:21 AM   #4
LeJeune981
Registered Member

I sprayed my house for flees this time last year.. didn't spray the fish room at all..non aerosol.. it was that home defender bug killer in the gallon jug.. Windows open... anyways about an hour later I was watching the emerald crabs and my only fish at the time a lawnmower blenny.. crabs were fine one minute.. the next.. all 10 died right before my eyes.. along with all the ampipods and copepods and basically any crustation in the tank all died right there and then..i removed the crabs.. but didn't realize all the pods and stuff died too.. causing my ammonia to spike.. killing everything else in the tank..(blenny..snails.. and ALL the microscopic fawna.. I didn't have corals at the time)

I will never spray bug killer in or near my house again

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 09:34 AM   #5
CTaylor
Registered Member

Thanks everyone.. wow LeJeune, that's crazy. I'm just trying to think how the chemicals got in the fish room, it seems very separated. Did you notice gas/fumes smell at all? How did it get to that room?

Unread 06/16/2018, 09:39 AM   #6
CTaylor
Registered Member

I'm changing carbon for fresh now. And PODS all over the carbon.. TONS lol. So maybe I am ok.

Unread 06/16/2018, 09:44 AM   #7
Jlentz
Registered Member

I’d put a full reactor of carbon online asap. That’s about all you can probably do. Since it wasn’t aerosolized you are probably fine though. Hopefully.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 12:36 PM   #8
LeJeune981
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTaylor View Post
Thanks everyone.. wow LeJeune, that's crazy. I'm just trying to think how the chemicals got in the fish room, it seems very separated. Did you notice gas/fumes smell at all? How did it get to that room?
I have never quite figured that out.. I didn't see any spray head that way.. didn't notice any off smell in there from the spray..
I was very cautious whole spraying that day.. kept the lol spray nozzle close to where I sprayed..

But I do have kids.. a dog.. and I'm sure there movements may have moved microscopic droplets of the poison airborne and into the fish room one way or another...

Or it could have just been one heck of a coincidence that I sprayed and an hour or so later the tank crashed..

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

LeJeune981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06/16/2018, 01:23 PM   #9
CTaylor
Registered Member

LeJ I guess shows you cant be too careful.. wow