Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/28/2013, 07:07 AM   #51
d2mini
Registered Member

I thought we all knew this?
When we say UV we mean the violet color... not the actual uv rays.
Kinda like Fiji Purple or ATI Purple+ T5 bulbs.

And when we say "cook your rock" this does not literally mean boiling it in water!!!

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Photos taken with a Nikon D750 or Leica M.
d2mini is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2013, 07:26 AM   #52
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Before anyone thinks I have some Phd in lighting, the quotes in my posts are all easily found on Google. I would love to take credit but I am not that bright

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Current Tank Info: Floating about on the water enjoying semi retirement!!
AQD_ottawa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2013, 07:57 AM   #53
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSystem View Post
I don't doubt the Mitras is a very high quality fixture. However, the fact remains, it is missing the UV spectrum which I feel is the main spectrum you should have.

Without UV, you might as well buy any other fixture as that is the same thing they have.

Radion Pro all the way. If you could only see what a difference UV makes in corals.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneSystem View Post
Yea,

For some reason or the other, not many people believe me. UV will make your LFS corals look like show bought corals.

UV is THE secret for corals & LEDs
I am curious if you have figured out yet that there is a huge difference in UV and Violet? You have been plastering threads with telling people that they must have UV. Adamantly suggesting people use UV over their tanks is not a good idea.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/28/2013, 08:47 AM   #54
dattong
Registered Member

What I like about the Mitras is the uniform spread and the ability to run different spectrum at different times through out the day. I've been running two Mistra's over a 75g for about two months, and I must say I really love them. Your corals' growth rate and color will depend on the spectrum and light intensity you choose. Mitras offers countless configurations you can come up with. It took me some time to figure out the combo that works for my tank. The growth rate and color are amazing so far. If you don't wanna mess with programming it, simply ask other Mitras users for their programs which known to produce great growth and color then use them to see which one you like best. I could tell if my tank getting improved or worse in a week or two for each configuration I experimented. Here's a video of my tank. I can tell new growth after every two weeks, especially the caps, they grow too fast. I'm in the process of upgrading to a little bigger tank.

dattong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2013, 05:00 PM   #55
shaggss
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattong View Post
What I like about the Mitras is the uniform spread and the ability to run different spectrum at different times through out the day. I've been running two Mistra's over a 75g for about two months, and I must say I really love them. Your corals' growth rate and color will depend on the spectrum and light intensity you choose. Mitras offers countless configurations you can come up with. It took me some time to figure out the combo that works for my tank. The growth rate and color are amazing so far. If you don't wanna mess with programming it, simply ask other Mitras users for their programs which known to produce great growth and color then use them to see which one you like best. I could tell if my tank getting improved or worse in a week or two for each configuration I experimented. Here's a video of my tank. I can tell new growth after every two weeks, especially the caps, they grow too fast. I'm in the process of upgrading to a little bigger tank.
+1 this sums it up nicely. GHL have really done their homework with this light. And the best thing is, it will eventually pay for it self as there is no bulbs or tubes to buy!

New build, planning stages. 30 x 20 x 20", Geisemann Spectra 250W with Radium, Profilux controller, Profilux doser 2, Fluval SP4 return pump, Life Reef 28
shaggss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/29/2013, 08:05 PM   #56
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dattong View Post
What I like about the Radions is the uniform spread and the ability to run different spectrum at different times through out the day. I've been running two Radion Pros over a 200g for about 14 months, and I must say I really love them. Your corals' growth rate and color will depend on the spectrum and light intensity you choose. Radions offers countless configurations you can come up with. It took me some time to figure out the combo that works for my tank. The growth rate and color are amazing so far. If you don't wanna mess with programming it, simply ask other Radion users for their programs which known to produce great growth and color then use them to see which one you like best. I could tell if my tank getting improved or worse in a week or two for each configuration I experimented.
Sorry. Couldn't help myself.
But like i said... either light should be a great choice.

Elos Diamond 120xl | Elos Stand | Radion G4 Pros | GHL Profilux Controller | LifeReef Skimmer | LifeReef Sump
Unread 09/29/2013, 09:18 PM   #57
Av8bluewater
Registered Member

Are the mitras mac friendly yet?
If you have to got through loops to make it work that doesn't count.

Av8bluewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 05:44 AM   #58
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

By that i assume you mean having web based control over the internet as neither have hardware based software that works on Mac, but browser based is currently being implemented.

Ecotech powered, OLD Profilux 3 but looking to upgrade when market settles, Seneye Monitored, Bubble Magus DC Skimmed.

Unread 09/30/2013, 05:55 AM   #59
BusterTB
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AQD_ottawa View Post
By that i assume you mean having web based control over the internet as neither have hardware based software that works on Mac, but browser based is currently being implemented.
Ecosmartlive via Reeflink (wifi cloud based control for Radion lights and very soon, vortech pumps) works perfectly fine on my Mac.

BusterTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 06:12 AM   #60
HurricaneSystem
Registered Member

Don't take it the wrong way, I am not saying the Mitras is a bad fixture. Quite the opposite, I want to know the difference between the two.

Thinking of ordering a Mitras myself. The Radion Pro does great, don't get me wrong, but if the Mitras is that much better, I am there!

Anyone have PAR measurements for the Mitras? Real world PAR in an aquarium, I don't care to see the spread that Joshi does.

Last edited by HurricaneSystem; 09/30/2013 at 06:24 AM.
HurricaneSystem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 08:52 AM   #61
luamada
Love saltwater fishes...

Red face Temp led

Thank you ALL for the amazing information. I am still thinking and on the fence about which one to buy. I keep reading over and over to see but I am still kind of confused. So here is an alternative questions for you guys. What IF I buy a cheap light say around IDK $350 LED of some kind, until I can make up my mind about the right one to get. Keep up with my research and fix my tank because technically I will not be able to add anything into the tank for another 6 month from when I take the tank down. I will need another LED for my quarantine tank anyways... so lets say I buy elchepo light for now which one do you guys suggests? (but it has to be one that I can use on a 20 tank for the quarantine... ALL ideas are welcomed and also where do I find them? please keep in mind that right now i do not have any corals just fishes. Thank you ALL again...
lu

Current Tank Info: 350G Deep See Aquatic with Sapphire glass 96.5X36.5X24, Sump Refugium, LED Radion PRO 3, 350 LV rock, Apex Controller, MP 60, auto-top-off, more to come

Last edited by luamada; 09/30/2013 at 09:35 AM.
luamada is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 08:57 AM   #62
luamada
Love saltwater fishes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaggss View Post
+1 this sums it up nicely. GHL have really done their homework with this light. And the best thing is, it will eventually pay for it self as there is no bulbs or tubes to buy!
wow great tank I could not open it earlier... amazing...

Current Tank Info: 350G Deep See Aquatic with Sapphire glass 96.5X36.5X24, Sump Refugium, LED Radion PRO 3, 350 LV rock, Apex Controller, MP 60, auto-top-off, more to come
Unread 09/30/2013, 11:26 AM   #63
James@ACS
Registered Member

I had this same dilema and opted for the Mitras, better spread of light and I prefer the aesthetics of the GHL, also I hated the massive Radion drivers

James@ACS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 06:27 PM   #64
HurricaneSystem
Registered Member

My Mitras 6200 will be here this week. I am going to post a video testing the PAR between this fixture and the Radion Pro over my 60 Cube.

Sirreal63, it is listed as UV on the Radion Pro page and other lighting fixtures. It is a referral to the SPECTRUM. Why don't you count pennies elsewhere and stop trying to pick out the small stuff.

I post real world RESULTS so that people might make a choice and save some headaches. When you can purchase ALL of the fixtures and test them as I have, then you can tell me what to post.

Unread 09/30/2013, 07:59 PM   #65
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Just wanted make a correction (and clarification) for the importance of accuracy.

I stated neither go below 400nm, what I should of said was neither "peak" below 400nm however they both start below 400nm slightly (to about 380nm), however the human eye can not see much colour below 400nm. I think this will clarify the post above.

The Radion uses an LED called semiLEDS UV 405nm (peak)
The Mitras equivalent LED is called Hyper violet 425nm (peak)

according to Dr Joshi -
Radion pro peaks
405 nm - 660 nm

Mitras 6200HV
425-660 nm

So both have a UV component however peak at different levels. (same as different UV T5 tubes sold for aquariums)

"Ultraviolet light can be generated by some light-emitting diodes, but wavelengths below 380 nm are uncommon and the emission peaks are broad, so only the very lowest energy UV photons are emitted, within predominantly visible light."

source
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_light

Last edited by AQD_ottawa; 09/30/2013 at 08:58 PM.
Unread 09/30/2013, 08:21 PM   #66
sirreal63
Go Spurs Go!!!

UV-A is also easily blocked because of its low energy, glass, plastic and water are at blocking penetration. It would be interesting to see how much actually gets past optics and the first few inches of water. Even the Sun's strong UV-ABC is blocked in shallow seawater and does not penetrate to typical reef depths.

No One has ever been seriously injured by using the search function.

Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store, not a government agency.

Current Tank Info: Reefing the Pentagon.
sirreal63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/30/2013, 08:49 PM   #67
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luamada View Post
Thank you ALL for the amazing information. I am still thinking and on the fence about which one to buy. I keep reading over and over to see but I am still kind of confused. So here is an alternative questions for you guys. What IF I buy a cheap light say around IDK $350 LED of some kind, until I can make up my mind about the right one to get. Keep up with my research and fix my tank because technically I will not be able to add anything into the tank for another 6 month from when I take the tank down. I will need another LED for my quarantine tank anyways... so lets say I buy elchepo light for now which one do you guys suggests? (but it has to be one that I can use on a 20 tank for the quarantine... ALL ideas are welcomed and also where do I find them? please keep in mind that right now i do not have any corals just fishes. Thank you ALL again...
lu
If you want to grow corals (healthy corals) I struggle to imagine a lamp with any quality at this price (my personal view) I dont see where the technology you see in Radion and Mitras could be employed at such a low price.

Good for a QT and sump, but maybe worth waiting and using the money towards one or the other professional big hitters on this thread.

Unread 10/01/2013, 04:16 AM   #68
maxwell
Registered Member

radion schedule required

Hi
I have just fitted the radion pro over a 30 inch cube , can anyone help with a schedule for mainly sps . The preset schedules are a bit limiting , i have no experience using these leds being days old. Will anybody share their schedule .

thanks Bill

maxwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2013, 05:16 AM   #69
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Always start low output if new to the tank, this advise is good for any LED. My advise would be to set an on time for around 7am (possibly around the 17k area) set the 7am brightness of the Radion to 0% then have another set point of around noon set to 14k and brightness no more the 50% for the first week. If your corals have been under T5 then set this to 30%

Set another point around 5pm and to 18k and 30% brightness then another point set to 7pm at above 20k to 10% brightness

from here on play with mixing blues to get yourself the moonlight you want adding fairly close together set points set to low brightness.

after a week you can raise your midday brightness by 10% a week

This will give you a good starting template, also the natural template that comes with the software is a very good starter just adjust down the maximum intensity to start.

Unread 10/01/2013, 07:54 AM   #70
HurricaneSystem
Registered Member

What ottawa said,

I would choose the preset "sipidian islands" or however you spell that mode. It is the one I ran the whole time. Run it at about 9 inches over the water and start out at 55% intensity.

You will be golden.

Unread 10/01/2013, 08:38 AM   #71
luamada
Love saltwater fishes...

I guess I did not express myself correctly and I apologize for that. I do want either Mitras or Radion and will get one of the or maybe two for my main display tank. I said I was going to buy another one right now while I am doing the cycling of the tank while I decide on which one to get between the two. The one I buy right now, I want it to be strong enough for my quarantine tank (which I am not sure how long I need to quarantine corals for). So my questions is what kind of cheap light I can buy to use on my quarantine tank (I do not want to spend $1000 or $1200 for a quarantine tank light). I would like anything around $300 up to $500. If anyone knows anything or should I look for an used LED? Any ideas? BUT I will get either the mitras or radion for my display tank. Hope I was clear enough ;-)) thank you guys again.
lu

Unread 10/01/2013, 08:44 AM   #72
FlyPenFly
SPS Killer

For a quarantine tank, I would just get a cheap Reefbreeder's light or a used AI Sol Super Blue and run it at 2:1 B:W ratios.

Both can rapidly grow any type of coral.

FlyPenFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2013, 09:45 AM   #73
ghostman
Registered Member

For a quarantine tank you could get a used sol nano on the selling forum for cheaper. They do not need a controller to adjust white and blue ratios. A used sol would be another good option too, and they are readily available.

Current Tank Info: 40IM Fusion, 40lbs of rock, and 20lbs of sand. Just a few fish and corals....for now.
ghostman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10/01/2013, 11:40 AM   #74
d2mini
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxwell View Post
Hi
I have just fitted the radion pro over a 30 inch cube , can anyone help with a schedule for mainly sps . The preset schedules are a bit limiting , i have no experience using these leds being days old. Will anybody share their schedule .

thanks Bill
Check out the Ecotech sponsor forum here on RC.
There is a thread with people posting their custom graphs.
I found the Radiant Color graph (one of the default graphs in Ecosmart Live) to be a fantastic starting point, and the colors REALLY POP.

Unread 10/01/2013, 12:07 PM   #75
AQD_ottawa
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by luamada View Post
I guess I did not express myself correctly and I apologize for that. I do want either Mitras or Radion and will get one of the or maybe two for my main display tank. I said I was going to buy another one right now while I am doing the cycling of the tank while I decide on which one to get between the two. The one I buy right now, I want it to be strong enough for my quarantine tank (which I am not sure how long I need to quarantine corals for). So my questions is what kind of cheap light I can buy to use on my quarantine tank (I do not want to spend $1000 or $1200 for a quarantine tank light). I would like anything around $300 up to $500. If anyone knows anything or should I look for an used LED? Any ideas? BUT I will get either the mitras or radion for my display tank. Hope I was clear enough ;-)) thank you guys again.
lu

I would grab a radion gen 2 while on discount! beats anything else in the price bracket hands down!

Tags
ecotech, ghl, led, mitras, pro, radion