Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Invert and Plant Forums > Mantis Shrimp
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/24/2018, 03:45 PM   #1
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Deli food for stomatopods

I wanted to start a discussion regarding using deli seafood as substitutions for live prey and pet-brand frozen foods.

I have in the past fed my stomatopods frozen cooked baby bay clams and they loved them, they had no specific ingredients added so it was just natural pure clams, so I tried them and they became an excellent local alternative for when the pet stores are out of reach (its an hour trip to the closest LFS and 20 minutes to the closest petco. Roads freezing and flooding is a big deal sometimes.)

Well... the clams were nice and all but apparently my stomatopod wasn't a regular enough customer to keep them from being discontinued at the store

So this is where I'm questioning if fresh deli seafood is an option, 1) is it an option? 2) should it be served to the shrimp raw or cooked?)

Unread 09/24/2018, 06:48 PM   #2
Jlentz
Registered Member

It’s amusing when you ask for just 1 clam/shrimp/oyster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jlentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/24/2018, 07:50 PM   #3
Daddi0
Registered Member

We get a large bag of frozen raw shrimp (prawns) at Safeway for 9 bucks. I keep them in the freezer and cut/defrost chunks as needed.
Cheers! Mark

Unread 09/24/2018, 09:41 PM   #4
Hadla
Mantis Whisperer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlentz View Post
It’s amusing when you ask for just 1 clam/shrimp/oyster.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Lol I ask for just a few so it’ll actually weigh something!

Puffer, octopus, and mantis shrimp fanatic!
Hadla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 04:31 AM   #5
Crooked Reef
Registered Member

1) yes, it is an option. Try to verify that the seafood isn’t treated with any preservatives.

2) raw is best. I cut up a shrimp, clam or scallop into correct portion sizes and place it in a ziplock baggie. Add a little ro/di to the baggie and let all the air out then lay it flat in the freezer and disperse the food bits evenly into the bag. Then I just break off ansection during feeding time and thaw in a bit of tank water. I have been doing this for a long time for my lion and mantis. Since doing this I haven’t had any issues with freezer burnt or dried out food.

Current Tank Info: 90 gallon reef. Biocube 29 lionfish tank. Mantis tank.
Crooked Reef is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/25/2018, 05:07 PM   #6
Calappidae
Harlequin Shrimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crooked Reef View Post
1) yes, it is an option. Try to verify that the seafood isn’t treated with any preservatives.

2) raw is best. I cut up a shrimp, clam or scallop into correct portion sizes and place it in a ziplock baggie. Add a little ro/di to the baggie and let all the air out then lay it flat in the freezer and disperse the food bits evenly into the bag. Then I just break off ansection during feeding time and thaw in a bit of tank water. I have been doing this for a long time for my lion and mantis. Since doing this I haven’t had any issues with freezer burnt or dried out food.
I'm going to try this! Real informative.

Glad to know that there is a local easier homemade method to feeding our aquatics.