Reef Central Online Community

Home Forum Here you can view your subscribed threads, work with private messages and edit your profile and preferences View New Posts View Today's Posts

Find other members Frequently Asked Questions Search Reefkeeping ...an online magazine for marine aquarists Support our sponsors and mention Reef Central

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > Sponsor Forums > Genesis Reef Systems
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Old 04/24/2018, 11:20 AM   #1
travis32
Registered Member

Home RO and Tank RO With the storm

I have the Genesis Storm and loved it when I had it on my previous tank. I've since moved and am in the process of setting up a brand new salt water tank. It will be a total of around 400Gallon + system when I'm all done with the plumbing.

However, I have a simple question. I had plumbing for the RO water ran throughout my house with a 5 gallon pressurized reservoir for drinking water. I used the RO unit that I had (rated at 150 Gallon per day with 2 RO membranes).

How do I use my RO unit rant to my storage tank for drinking water and use the same RO unit with the ROCv?

I thought about putting a T in on the RO unit and splitting it off to the powered valve then running from the valve to the DI unit, then to the freshwater bin with the float switches. However, the valve says a minimum of 5psi. I'm concerned with this as I believe RO units aren't supposed to have any water pressure if I remember right.

Have you done this before? Or what would the best recommendation be for using the same RO unit for drinking water and for filling the freshwater bin for top off?

travis32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2018, 12:46 PM   #2
travis32
Registered Member

I'm guessing the solution to this is to run two RO systems, one to my home RO supply and one with a dedicated connection to the cold water supply to my house.

Old 04/24/2018, 05:52 PM   #3
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

that would be an easy solution to purchase a second unit and run them separately.
BTW rodi units do have pressure and they run at minimum 30 psi to 90 psi generally and for rodi unit to work properly it should have minimum 50 psi.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04/24/2018, 06:22 PM   #4
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

After giving this a lot of thought, I think a separate RODI filter may make the most sense. I thought about inserting a tee between your RODI unit and your 5 gallon drinking water reservoir, but then when the RODI is filling your top off bin or mixing bin, you won't have enough pressure for the drinking water. Placing it after the 5 gallon drinking water reservoir actually has the same problem - your drinking water reservoir will depressurize as soon as the valve to your mixing bin or top off bin is opened.

Additionally, you probably don't want DI water for your drinking water but you almost certainly will want DI water for your reef system...

Having two RO / RODI systems working simultaneously and independently seems to have the most flexibility and fewest "issues."

I hope this helps!

Kevin

Old 04/25/2018, 06:53 AM   #5
travis32
Registered Member

Kevin, thank you so much for the thought out reply. The biggest thing I don't know is the valve in the Genesis system, would it open and close o.k. in this configuration:

T off the RO Effluent, into pressure tank. From pressure tank to boost pump from boost pump to upstairs drinking water. There is a check valve after the T on the household side. The other side of the T goes to the DI resin. The controller controls the valve placed between the RO and DI on the tank side. All brs systems have an auto shut off.

Old 04/28/2018, 11:12 AM   #6
GenesisReefSys
RC Sponsor

Hi Travis,

I just posted something really similar in another thread. Please take a look at that and let me know if that helps.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/sh....php?t=2674666

Have a great day,
Kevin

Old 04/30/2018, 07:18 AM   #7
travis32
Registered Member

Great information Kevin. Well, I got everything out and hooked up. Though not in my final production setup, but I wanted to do some testing to see how things would turn out!

I did a T off the effluent line that goes to the pressurized tank. The tank uses the same connection for in as well as out. (Which is dumb). So, when I run it through the Rocv system, the pressurized tank is emptying itself. So to do a true test. I turned the ball valve off on the pressurized tank, which accomplished what I wanted.

A steady stream of RO water going to my Roc V, then, out to my DI resin container, then out to my fresh water top off garbage can.

I setup the Genesis float switches to have the emergency set to on (meaning the water isn't too low.) Set the top and bottom flow switches to indicate there's no water in the top off bin.

Once everything was setup, I did a few tests.

1. Manual on: Did the Roc V open with just turning the switch on and off -
a. After a minute for the DI container to fill up, it started flowing and flowed just fine. No issues.
b. I manually pulled the float switch up to simulate the top off bin being full. The result was that the Roc V closed as expected and no RO water flowed! YES!

2. I then, held the button down to switch it to use the automated monitor.
a. I let the top flow down making sure the bottom one was down as well and water started flowing.
b. I pulled the top float up and water stopped within a couple seconds.
c. I let the top float down again and within a couple seconds it opened.

I will be installing a John guest check valve inline after the T for the Roc V, so the water from the pressurized tank doesn't back flow into the RO unit or into the Roc V. Which, I should have done before, but, just didn't. It could be a fair amount of pressure on the the check valve. I hope the check valve works since there's a constant supply of pressure on the valve, I don't know if it would ever allow the tank to fill if there's always pressure on it. But, I'm not sure how check valves work, so, we'll see.

Old 05/08/2018, 11:17 AM   #8
travis32
Registered Member

Success

After installing the John Gueist in line check valve on the RO system and a T to T off to the Genesis valve and the RO pressurized tank. I now have Fridge water and Fridge Ice fully functional and at the same time can use the Genesis Rocv inline between the DI and RO to control water flow to the top off reservoir.

I'm able to do both with one RO unit!