Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Reef Discussion
Blogs FAQ Calendar

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 09/03/2014, 10:58 AM   #1
AlexHamilton
Registered Member

120G reef equipment list. suggestions??

So here is what I have so far for my equipment for my setup. Some equipment is from my previous setup, some is new.

30G sump,
Reef octo 150 INT,
Jabeo WP40 power head X2,
300W heater,
Ro/Di system,
2 media reactors,
Hydrometer
Two 48in reef ready LED lights
Two 36in magenta stunner lights,
Deep blue actinic lights.

I'm considering a ATO and maybe a controller?
I really only want to the controller for the lighting control, is there a good lighting controller or timer that also has the fade in fade out feature?

Any other suggestions of equipment?

Thanks
-Alex

AlexHamilton is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 11:26 AM   #2
D-Nak
Registered Member

For a 120 I would definitely invest in a controller. It will do a lot more than control your lighting. Also invest in an ATO. The goal is to make life as simple as possible so that you can enjoy your tank.

Instead of a hydrometer, get a refractometer. I like knowing a number immediately.

What are you planning to keep in your tank? Your lighting may need to change depending on the inhabitants.

Don't forget about your return pump!

Unread 09/03/2014, 11:36 AM   #3
AlexHamilton
Registered Member

An ATO is something I was planning on getting. Just haven't purchased it yet.
As for a controller, there just so expensive and I don't really have the budget for it. I also enjoy doing the little things. Pretty much everything the controller does. I just can't fad the lights in and out. And as for the lighting I was planning to keep softies for the most part.

And I have a return pump, I just forgot to list it. I believe it is an Eheim. Its older as I've had it for years.

Unread 09/03/2014, 11:38 AM   #4
krzyphsygy
Registered Member

No need at all for a 300 watt heater. Your asking for trouble there. A 50 watt jager is more than enough installed in the sump. I have a 125 and use just a 50 watt. It heats my water just fine and allows me a safe guard in case it sticks on. It wont fry every thing quickly like a 300 watt will. It just takes longer to heat the tank which is fine because slow is good.

krzyphsygy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09/03/2014, 12:22 PM   #5
AlexHamilton
Registered Member

I have heard that the Jager heaters are really good. I'll have to look into it. My heater is a little old so its probably time to invest in a new one anyways.

Tags
controller, equipment, lighting, media, sump