Reef Central Online Community

Go Back   Reef Central Online Community > General Interest Forums > Lighting, Filtration & Other Equipment
Blogs FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

User Tag List

Unread 11/25/2013, 02:35 PM   #1
bla403
Registered Member

Aqueon Proflex Sump Question

Hi All:

I just purchased an Aqueon Proflex Model 3 for my new 90 Reef build and have a question.

I plan on keeping the 2nd chamber as a refugium and put my skimmer and return in chamber 3. The recommendation is to have the skimmer output go through the window back into the bubble difuser section between chambers 2 & 3 which makes sense since there is the foam block to stop bubbles from going to the return pump.

My question is if you run with that setup doesnt that mean that any critters in the refugium wont be able to get through (the foam block) into chamber 3 and go up to the display?

I know some things like copepods will be small enough but what about amphipods for example.

Am I missing something or is there a way that the refugium water flows around these foam blocks. My dilemma is allowing all the critters the ability to get back up to the display while also defusing the bubbles from the skimmer. (Should I just use a sock or panty hose on the end of the skimmer output and remove the foam blocks between the chambers?

Thanks!!

bla403 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2013, 05:59 AM   #2
madweazl
Registered Member

I had an Aqueon sump on my last setup and I ended up pulling the foam just for that. I didnt run a skimmer so I wasnt worried about bubbles getting past that but I bet if you plumbed the outlet to reach further over to the sump intake side (or all the way into the first chamber), you could mitigate any bubbles getting back to the tank. It really ended up being a great little sump for my 26g FBH.

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2013, 06:20 AM   #3
bla403
Registered Member

Thanks. Anyone else have any recommendations?
I don't think I can plumb the return back since the water height in the first chamber is so much higher and my skimmer doesn't have a separate pump just for the intake.
Right now my only idea is to remove the foam blocks and use a sock on the skimmer output. Maybe only use 1 foam block near the skimmer output and let the rest be open is another option.

Unread 11/26/2013, 06:28 AM   #4
madweazl
Registered Member

You could always fish some pods out while you're trimming the macro algae and toss 'em in the tank (mine typically went down the drain...).

madweazl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11/26/2013, 09:39 PM   #5
bla403
Registered Member

anyone else with this sump have any thoughts?

Unread 11/27/2013, 12:10 PM   #6
Spyderturbo007
Registered Member

If you run the second section as a refugium, you are supposed to remove the foam block and install the baffles that came with the sump. That increases the water level in the second chamber so you'll need to build a riser for your skimmer.

Unfortunately, I tried doing this and was plagued by microbubbles. So I had to put everything back and use that stupid sponge. I hate that thing.

Spyderturbo007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03/27/2014, 03:00 PM   #7
R1sky_Biz
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post
If you run the second section as a refugium, you are supposed to remove the foam block and install the baffles that came with the sump. That increases the water level in the second chamber so you'll need to build a riser for your skimmer.

Unfortunately, I tried doing this and was plagued by microbubbles. So I had to put everything back and use that stupid sponge. I hate that thing.
Hey guys, Starting my very first build (72g Bowfront, Reef) currently. I just bought a model 3, it gets here today actually. But it's beginning to sound like a PITA to run a refugium in the middle while keeping an in tank/sump skimmer?

What is the best way to run this Sump? Not against the idea of modifications if it is more efficient.

R1sky_Biz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2014, 05:16 PM   #8
Myers13
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyderturbo007 View Post

I'm currently having microbubble issues lol. I've been questioning the functionality of the sponge chamber. Only I didn't receive any baffles with my sump or instructions saying to remove the sponge. Did you get baffles with yours? Where did it day to remove the sponge?
Did you resolve your microbubble issue? Because I'm not getting anywhere resolving mine, so anything you can tell me might be a great help.

Thanks for your time,
-Mike

Myers13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08/28/2014, 08:20 PM   #9
oseymour
Euphyllia Addict

I have the proflex model 1 sump and I'm running an Aquamaxx HOB-1 that is hanging on the sump.

In the attached picture I moved the intake for the skimmer to the second chamber with the refugium because the water level is constant. I noticed the performance of the skimmer changed when the water level in the 3rd chamber dropped.

I plumped the return of the skimmer to go to the chamber with the sponge and when still got bubbles going to the DT, I bought another sponge on Ebay and that took care of the problem.

I still have pods in my fuge and I see pods in my DT. I also have snails & crabs in the sump and I see them moving about in the 3rd chamber and then back in the fuge and 1st chambers.

I also attached a sponge to the end of the skimmer return and that worked but it kept falling off and I was annoyed with that

Attached Images
File Type: jpg sump.jpg (42.0 KB, 34 views)
oseymour is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
aqueon, pods, proflex, refugium, sump